Army probe into evil anti-Islamic Facebook posts

William of the White Hand

Junior News Editor
Army probe launched into anti-Islamic Facebook posts

Date
September 26, 2012 - 4:21PM

Marissa Calligeros

The Australian Defence Force has launched an investigation into anti-Islamic comments posted on Facebook, purportedly by an Australian soldier believed to have served in Afghanistan.

The comments relate to a violent Sydney protest nearly two weeks ago against an anti-Islam film made in the United States.

They were made on the Facebook page of a former soldier believed to have served in Afghanistan with the Mentoring and Reconstruction Task Force 2.

The former Townsville-based soldier allegedly wrote: "Give me a M4 and send to Sydney and I'll do the dishes."

One serving soldier allegedly replied: "Mate, what I'd have given just to drop the legs on a MAG 58, slap on a 500rd belt, adopt a stable firing position in the middle of the street and lay waste to every single one of those cancerous f–––s .... sigh."

Twenty-three people 'liked' the initial comment.

Photos of at least two men making the comments show them in uniform and one is shown in numerous pictures with machine guns.

Defence said it was unaware of the Facebook page, but would investigate the matter after it was reported on ABC radio today.

The original comment has since been removed from Facebook.

Islamic Council of New South Wales chairman Khaled Sukkarieh described the comments as "deeply disturbing", saying he would be very concerned if former or serving personnel of the ADF held the views expressed on the posts, especially if they had served in Muslim countries such as Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We would hope that these comments are just the ignorant rantings of a very small minority," he said.

It would be up to Australian authorities to find out if the comments were of any concern, Mr Sukkarieh said.

Australia Defence Association executive director Neil James said the men may have breached social media regulations if they were serving in the ADF and had breached the rule of commonsense.

"You don't make the Diggers' life on the frontline harder by making stupid comments," he said.

Army chief David Morrison, who has previously stated such behaviour was completely unacceptable, confirmed the matter was under investigation.

"If it is found that there have been a soldier or soldiers involved, then I will take action as I can within the laws of the land and those that guide us in the Defence Force," Lieutenant-General Morrison said.

"There is no place for it in our army and our defence force and I will take action."

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ebook-posts-20120926-26l0h.html#ixzz27bNjCLKP

Back