Bishop robbed of more than $1m worth of jewelry in the middle of church service

Bishop robbed of more than $1m worth of jewelry in the middle of church service​

Lamor Whitehead was mid-sermon when a gunmen entered the Leader’s of Tomorrow International Ministry church.

A Brooklyn bishop and his wife were robbed at gun-point of more than $1m worth of jewelry during a live-streamed church service on Sunday, police say.

Bishop Lamor Whitehead was delivering a sermon when three armed men burst into the Leader’s of Tomorrow International Ministry in Canarsie at around 11.15am, the NYPD said in a statement
Mr Whitehead can be heard saying “alright alright”, seen putting his hands up and then getting down on the ground as a masked assailant appears onscreen in the live-streamed footage, obtained by ABC7.

The men demanded jewelry from Mr Whitehead, 44, and his 38-year-old wife, police said.

In an Instagram post after the incident, Mr Whitehead said: “When I see them come into the sanctuary with their guns, I told everybody to get out, everybody just get out.

I didn’t know if they wanted to shoot the church up or if they were just coming for a robbery.”

Mr Whitehead said the men took all of his and his wife’s jewelry, including his wedding band.

The suspects fled the church on foot, got into a white Mercedes Benz and were last seen traveling eastbound on Avenue D, police said.

In the Instagram post, Mr Whitehead said he tried to chase the men out of the church after they fled.

Many in the congregation had been left traumatised by the incident, including his young daughter.
To the women in my ministry, to see tears in your eyes, to see the hurt, and the pain, and the violation. Thank you for continuing to trust the mission.”

He also criticised those who accused him of “scamming” churchgoers.
Screen_Shot_2022-07-25_at_9.10.10_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2022-07-25_at_9.10.38_AM.png Its not about me being flashy. It’s about me purchasing what I want to purchase,” he said. “Y’all not gonna tear me down by your childish thoughts. I’m going to stay focused.”

Mr Whitehead appealed for information in apprehending the assailants, and said he was already receiving tips.

Estimates of the value of the stolen jewelry were initially reported as being worth approximately $400,000.

No-one was injured in the robbery, police said.
I didn’t know if they wanted to shoot the church up or if they were just coming for a robbery.”

Mr Whitehead said the men took all of his and his wife’s jewelry, including his wedding band.

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Flashy Brooklyn bishop Lamor Miller-Whitehead defends lifestyle after $1M jewelry heist​

By
Joshua Rhett Miller,

Reuven Fenton,

Joe Marino and

Gabrielle Fonrouge

July 25, 2022 1:13pm
Updated

Pastor and churchgoers robbed during live-streamed services Sunday

The flashy Brooklyn bishop known for flaunting his Gucci suits, diamond-encrusted chains and stable of luxury vehicles says it’s not his fault he was targeted in a $1 million jewelry heist.
Bishop Lamor Miller-Whitehead – who’s cozy with Mayor Adams and previously did five years in prison for identity fraud and grand larceny – insisted on Instagram that his public displays of wealth didn’t lead to Sunday’s gunpoint robbery during his live-streamed service in Canarsie.
“It’s not about me being flashy,” said the Rolls Royce-driving clergyman, 44, in a video shortly after three thieves robbed him and his wife in the middle of his sermon at the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries.
“It’s about me purchasing what I want to purchase. It’s my prerogative to purchase what I want to purchase.”
The bishop said he can’t be blamed for standing out in the community, given his status, as critics suggested his “blinged-out’’ look could have made him an outsized target.
1_th.jpg

00:00 01:15
“Sometimes when you’re a known bishop, it’s a gift and a curse,” Miller-Whitehead said. “You become the talk of the town.”

At the time of the robbery, Miller-Whitehead and his wife were wearing more than $1 million in jewels and gold.

Miller-Whitehead, 44, recalled how he reacted to the armed heist in two lengthy Instagram videos posted later Sunday while describing “how the devil moves” in reference to his attackers. Miller-Whitehead, 44, recalled how he reacted to the armed heist in two lengthy Instagram videos posted later Sunday while describing “how the devil moves” in reference to his attackers.Instagram/@iambishopwhitehead
The thieves made off a treasure trove of items totaling $1,060,000: $75,000 Rolex watch, $75,000 Cavalier watch, $25,000 Episcopal ruby and diamond ring, $25,000 Episcopal diamond ring, $25,000 pair of earrings, $20,000 diamond and emerald cross, $20,000 Episcopal ring, $20,000 Episcopal cross and a $10,000 Episcopal gold cross.

“When I see them come into the sanctuary with their guns, I told everybody [to] get down, everybody just get down,” Miller-Whitehead said in one of two lengthy Instagram videos he posted late Sunday.

“I didn’t know if they wanted to shoot the church up or if they were just coming for a robbery.”

[IMG alt="The trio of suspects bandits took $1 million worth of jewelry from Bishop Lamor Whitehead and his wife as he was giving his sermon, according to the NYPD.
"]https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/07/biashop-lamarwhitehead-robbed-002.jpg?w=1024[/IMG]
The trio of suspects bandits took $1 million worth of jewelry from Bishop Lamor Whitehead and his wife as he was giving his sermon, according to the NYPD. Three masked men on Sunday robbed the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries in Brooklyn, the NYPD said. Three masked men on Sunday robbed the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries in Brooklyn, the NYPD said.
The suspects were all wearing masks, but Miller-Whitehead said he could see their faces.

“They took all of my wife’s jewelry and took all of my jewelry, and then they left,” the bishop said, pointing out that he was even robbed of his wedding band and the debacle left his congregants “traumatized.”

What do you think? Post a comment.

“However, these young men didn’t know that cameras were on, and we know what car you were driving.”

The three suspects fled in a white Mercedes, Miller-Whitehead said. He said he saw them change their clothes in the car as he futilely ran after them. They are still in the wind, police said Monday.

Bishop Lamor Whitehead arrives at the 5th Precinct. Miller-Whitehead downplayed criticism over his blinged-out look with “material things” that might have made him an outsized target.Robert Miller
“For you to kick in a church door and come with guns in the middle of service – what God is gonna do to y’all is above my paygrade,’’ the bishop said of the suspects while shaking his head.

Miller-Whitehead, who said he understands the “rules of the streets,” called on the public to submit any tips to the NYPD.

The flashy pastor has had ties to Adams since at least 2013 and last made headlines in May when he tried to negotiate the surrender of an accused subway shooter and claimed to have spoken with Hizzoner while the suspect was on the loose.

Bishop Lamor M. Whitehead and IDK attend IDK's Listening Party at Sei Less on April 28, 2022 in New York City. Miller-Whitehead and his wife were wearing a $390,000 Cuban link chain, a $200,000 men’s gold chain and a pair of his and hers wedding rings worth $175,000 during the robbery.WireImage
He appeared at more than a dozen high-profile events that Adams attended during Adams’ tenure as the Brooklyn borough president, and in 2016, the then-BP introduced Miller-Whitehead as “my good friend and good brother” at a concert in East Flatbush.

At the time, The Post reported that Miller-Whitehead was buoyed by Adams’ support, which helped him promote and raise money for Leaders of Tomorrow Brooklyn, a for-profit firm launched in 2014 that was billed as a youth mentorship non-profit.

But the firm came under scrutiny when it claimed to have partnered with the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, the NYPD and the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, organizations that claimed at the time to have no ties to the clergyman’s group.

Whitehead Miller-Whitehead said he saw the burglars change their clothes in the car as he futilely ran after them.Bishop Lamor Whitehead

The Bobster

Flashy NYC bishop robbed in $400K jewelry heist during livestreamed service​

By
Tina Moore

July 24, 2022 5:42pm
Updated

A flashy Brooklyn bishop was robbed in the middle of his livestreamed service Sunday when gun-toting crooks accosted him at the podium before fleeing with $400,000 in jewelry, cops said.
Rolls-Royce-driving Bishop Lamor Whitehead last made news in May, when he tried to negotiate the surrender of an accused subway shooter but authorities separately nabbed the suspect.
On Sunday, Whitehead was in the middle of his sermon at the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries in Canarsie around 11:14 a.m. when three masked gunmen burst in, police said.
“How many of you have lost your faith because you saw somebody else die?” Whitehead asked his congregation — right before spotting the armed intruders.
“All right, all right,” Whitehead then said several times before hitting the floor on his hands and knees.
1_th.jpg

00:00
The men took $400,000 worth of jewelry from Whitehead, his wife and possibly churchgoers, according to police. Whitehead, dressed in a maroon suit with a gold-trimmed collar and sleeve cuffs, was wearing a long gold chain and a large ring on each finger at the time.

A robber passes in front of the camera. Three masked men robbed the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries on Sunday. Whitehead notices the robbers. The bandits took $400,000 worth of jewelry from Bishop Lamor Whitehead, his wife and possibly churchgoers as he was giving his sermon. Whitehead gets on the floor. The mass was being livestreamed when the robbery took place.
The robbers fled East on Avenue D after the crime.

Two months ago, Whitehead had said he was trying to negotiate the surrender of Andrew Abdullah, 25, in the fatal shooting of Goldman Sachs employee Daniel Enriquez aboard a Manhattan-bound Q train.

Facebook images showing Bisho Lamor Whitehead with his wife Asian Dod Reis Whitehead. Whitehead last made news in May when he tried to negotiate the surrender of an accused subway shooter but authorities separately nabbed the suspect.facebook Bishop Lamor Whitehead arrives at the 5th Precinct to negotiate the surrender of murder suspect Andrew Abdullah Tuesday, May 24, 2022.  Whitehead showed up at the Fifth Precinct in a Rolls-Royce in May.Robert Miller

Whitehead showed up at the Fifth Precinct in a Rolls-Royce to supposedly usher in the surrender, but Abdullah was instead nabbed by cops at the Legal Aid Society offices in Manhattan.

The Bobster

Flashy NYC bishop who was robbed of $1M in jewelry allegedly stole $90K from congregant​

By
Priscilla DeGregory

July 28, 2022 4:29pm
Updated

The flashy Brooklyn pastor who was robbed of more than $1 million in jewelry during a live-streamed church service was accused of stealing $90,000 from a congregant in a lawsuit filed last year.
Bishop Lamor Whitehead — who is known for flaunting his Gucci suits, diamond-encrusted chains and stable of luxury vehicles — allegedly has a history of grifting and even served time in prison for identity theft and grand larceny.
Pauline Anderson, 56, accused the Rolls-Royce driving clergyman of convincing her to liquidate her life savings and pay him a $90,000 “investment” in November 2020 with the promise that he would buy and renovate a home for her, according to her Brooklyn Supreme Court lawsuit.
Whitehead also agreed to pay Anderson $100 per month since the savings was her only source of income, says the suit, first reported by The City on Thursday.
Whitehead, 44, allegedly only made one of the $100 payments to Anderson in January 2021, and each time she asked about the status of her home in the following months, he repeatedly told her that he was tied up with his election campaign for Brooklyn Borough President, according to the lawsuit.
Ultimately, instead of helping Anderson find a home, Whitehead used the funds as down payment on the contract to purchase a $4.4 million home for himself in Saddle River, New Jersey, the suit alleges.
Brooklyn pastor Bishop Lamor Whitehead was accused by of stealing $90,000 from a congregant, according to a lawsuit. Brooklyn pastor Bishop Lamor Whitehead was accused of stealing $90,000 from a congregant, according to a lawsuit.Instagram/iambishopwhitehead
Pauline Anderson accused Whitehead of convincing her to give him her life savings as an “investment.”Instagram/iambishopwhitehead
Whitehead allegedly used Anderson's money for a down payment on a house for himself in Saddle River, New Jersey. Whitehead allegedly used Anderson’s money for a down payment on a house for himself in Saddle River, New Jersey.
Anderson — who was introduced to Whitehead through her son Rasheed Anderson in 2020 — only found out about the Saddle River home after Whitehead accidently sent an email to Rasheed about the purchase, the lawsuit says.
The Saddle River purchase didn’t go through. But Whitehead did buy a $4.5 million apartment complex in Hartford, Conn., according to The City.
Anderson said she was told she couldn’t get a mortgage because of her bad credit, which is when Whitehead stepped in with his offer to help, the lawsuit alleges.
Whitehead was robbed of $1 million in jewelry during a service at his Brooklyn church. Whitehead was robbed of $1 million in jewelry during a service at his Brooklyn church.Paul Martinka
Despite having “reservations” about handing over the hefty sum to Whitehead, Anderson went through with it “because he was a supposed man of the cloth and had previously helped her own son secure housing for himself,” the suit claims.
He later allegedly told her that he was investing the cash in his company, and had no obligation to pay it back, according to the suit.
“Ms. Anderson was instead left with nothing but a vague promise by Mr. Whitehead to pay the funds back in the future followed by an assertion that he had no further obligation to do so,” the filing charges.
The mansion in Paramus, New Jersey that reportedly belongs to Whitehead. The mansion in Paramus, New Jersey that reportedly belongs to Whitehead.Robert Miller
Anderson is seeking $1 million in damages for Whitehead’s “morally reprehensible acts,” and for “losing her entire life savings” the filing claims.
The case is still pending.

Whitehead has not filed any papers in the case nor has any lawyer appeared on his behalf, court records show.

The flamboyant pastor has had ties to Mayor Eric Adams since at least 2013 and last made headlines in May when he tried to negotiate the surrender of an accused subway shooter and claimed to have spoken with Hizzoner while the suspect was on the loose.

On Sunday, Whitehead was accosted during services at the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries in Canarsie by three gun-wielding men who made off with a treasure trove of items, including a $75,000 Rolex watch.

He later defended his lifestyle, saying that his public displays of wealth didn’t lead to the gunpoint robbery, as critics suggested his “blinged-out’’ look could have made him an outsize target.

Whitehead did not immediately return a message left at the congregation Thursday.

Anderson’s lawyers declined to comment since the lawsuit is still pending.

The Bobster

Flashy NYC Bishop Lamor Whitehead cuffed, let go after clash with woman at service​

By
Tina Moore and

Amanda Woods

September 19, 2022 11:35am
Updated

Bishop Lamor Whitehead was confronted by two women during a live-streamed service.
Bishop Lamor Whitehead was confronted by two women during a live-streamed service. Bishop Lamor M. Whitehead/Facebo

More On: robberies

Flashy Brooklyn Bishop Lamor Whitehead – who was famously robbed of more than $1 million in jewelry – was cuffed by cops and then released Sunday after a scuffle with a woman during a live-streamed service.
Whitehead was preaching on the stage of the Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries on Remsen Avenue near Avenue D in Canarsie just before 11:30 a.m. Sunday when two women interrupted the service, he later said in a Facebook livestream.
Video from the service shows the clergyman wearing a blue-and-white patterned suit as he stood on stage repeatedly booming, “Let’s give Jesus a round of applause!” – before adding, “while they take pictures and they want to be with social media!”
He was apparently referring to two women in the audience — including one who suddenly entered the frame and walked right in front of him, seeming to point her finger in a different direction.
Police say the woman — who they identified as 47-year-old Tarsha Howard – had been recording the service and approached Whitehead “in an antagonizing manner.”
Whitehead quickly grabbed the woman and pushed her out of the frame, the video shows.
“Go over here,” he can be heard saying off-camera. “Grab her out, grab her out.
“Amen!” he declared. “You’re not going to come in my space! I feel threatened.”
Both Whitehead and Howard were initially taken into custody. Both Whitehead and the woman were initially taken into custody.Bishop Lamor M. Whitehead/Facebo
Both Whitehead and Howard were initially taken into custody and brought to the 69th Precinct.
While Howard was charged with trespass and disrupting a religious service, Whitehead – who police say “restrained” the arrested woman – was let go, cops said.
The second woman who allegedly interrupted the service remains at large, the clergyman said.
Whitehead, who served time in prison for identity theft and grand larceny, was previously robbed during a live-streamed service in July — with the crooks making off with more than an estimated $1 million in jewelry in the caught-on-camera caper.
The luxury-loving clergyman — who rides around in vehicles such as a Rolls Royce — has fought back against critics who blame his lavish lifestyle for attracting criminals.
The pastor – who wore two blinged-out watches and one ring with a large stone during Sunday’s service – said he was simply protecting his family by fighting back.
Whitehead said he was simply trying to protect his family and described the incident as a design and attack of the enemy. Whitehead said he was simply trying to protect his family and described the incident as a “design and attack of the enemy.”AP
“I’m going to protect my family,” he said in the Facebook livestream hours after the incident. “No one is going to come at my family, and no one is going to hurt my family ever again.
“The media has painted a picture of me being a villain, which I’m not,” Whitehead said.
He referred to the incident as a “design and attack of the enemy,” adding that “they’re not going to make my church uncomfortable to worship.”
He claimed that the two women were “sent by some bloggers” who he declined to name “because they’re nobodies.”
Whitehead recently filed twin $20 million lawsuits against a YouTuber named Jives, who has more than 80,000 subscribers, and another online personality, Larry Reid.
Whitehead said the two women were sent by some bloggers. Whitehead said the two women were “sent by some bloggers.”Getty Images for Jane Owen Publi
Both men publicly claimed Whitehead was a scammer, among other things, leading the plaintiff to lose “business deals, church members, and income,’’ the suits say.
Jives — whose full name is Demario Q. Jives — claimed on his YouTube channel last month that Whitehead “is wearing the same jewelry that [he] got robbed in” back in July, according to court papers filed in Kings County court on Friday.
Jives also allegedly accused Whitehead of “drug dealing” and collaborating with “the Bloods and Crypts.”
Whitehead has denied the claims and called the men’s allegations “all false,” defamatory and slanderous, according to his lawsuits
After his release Sunday, the pastor said the NYPD “failed me” for arresting him in the first place.
“They would have never [done] it to a rabbi. They would have never [done] it to a priest,” Whitehead said. “But because of the color of my skin, they arrested me. Not only did they arrest me, but when they put me into a police car, they injured my wrist.

“However, when they got me to the precinct, they put me in a cell, and then after [that], I was told the higher-ups — once they found out who was there – [they] came in and started to do some research. … And all of the charges were dropped on me. But you don’t get to arrest me for no reason.”

Whitehead is set to hold a press conference about the incident outside the 69th Precinct at noon Monday.

The Bobster

Feds arrest two men in robbery of flashy Brooklyn bishop​

By
Larry Celona,

Ben Feuerherd and

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

September 28, 2022 11:49am
Updated

President Biden calls protesters 'outrageous'

Two Brooklyn men were arrested by federal authorities Wednesday in the brazen live-streamed armed robbery of a flashy local bishop in July.
Juwan Anderson and Say-Quan Pollack, both 23, were picked up in Bedford Stuyvesant and hit with federal robbery charges for the July 24 stick-up of Bishop Lamor Whitehead, who was mid-sermon when he was accosted by the pair.
“Armed robbery is an intolerable crime, but to commit such an act during a religious service is incomprehensible,” Breon Peace, US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, said in a statement.
Anderson and Pollack were awaiting arraignment. One more suspect was still being sought, prosecutors said.
“They caught the robbers, the ones that robbed my church July 24,” Whitehead said in a Facebook post after the arrests were announced. “I’m going to be the first to let you guys know that God is amazing.”
1_th.jpg

00:00
The suspects were charged in federal court under the US Hobbs Act, which criminalizes robbery and extortion which interferes with interstate commerce — in this case because some out-of-state donations were used to purchase the stolen items, sources said.

Footage shows the suspects wearing black sweaters on their way to Bishop Lamor Whitehead’s church in Canarsie, Brooklyn. Footage shows the suspects wearing black sweaters on their way to Bishop Lamor Whitehead’s church in Canarsie, Brooklyn.NYPD Cops released video showing the suspects involved in the robbery of flashy Brooklyn bishop Lamor Whitehead Federal authorities have nabbed two suspects in the armed robbery of Bishop Lamor Whitehead.NYPD The alleged robbers apparently made off with $1 million in loot. The alleged robbers apparently made off with $1 million in loot. The suspects pulled off their heist while Bishop Lamor Whitehead delivered a sermon. The suspects pulled off their heist while Bishop Lamor Whitehead delivered a sermon.
Footage of the heist showed Whitehead hitting the floor after the thieves stormed his Leaders of Tomorrow International Ministries in Canarsie and made off with $1 million in loot.

The robbers allegedly took, among other valuables, the bishop’s $75,000 Rolex watch, a $75,000 Cavalier watch and a $25,000 ruby and diamond ring.

Earlier this month, the outspoken minister lashed out at the NYPD, saying he didn’t think cops believed him and thought he had staged the robbery.

Bishop Lamor Whitehead arrives at the 5th Precinct to negotiate the surrender of murder suspect Andrew Abdullah Tuesday, May 24, 2022. Bishop Lamor Whitehead accused authorities of believing he staged the grand robbery.Robert Miller
“The gunmen put a gun in my 8-month-old baby’s face,” he said then. “So now, why would they respect me and my church if they feel I’m a criminal?”

What do you think? Post a comment.

Whitehead’s comments came after another live-streamed incident, in which he was seen shoving a woman who interrupted his services on Sept. 18 — an incident which saw the bishop get handcuffed and briefly questioned at the local police precinct.

Cops later let him go without charges.