Black alderman/minister accused of rape

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
West Memphis Alderman On The Run

Video at link but you need a high speed connection!

Officials say both state police investigators and West Memphis investigators have spoken to him. Sources tell Eyewitness News Coleman was supposed to meet with state police investigators for an interview twice and never showed up. Then he agreed to turn himself in Monday morning and that didn't happen.

"I was almost knocked off my feet, it shocked me."

That's the reaction most folks in West Memphis had when they heard about rape allegations against 59-year-old Herman Coleman. He's a long time city council alderman, a businessman, and a church pastor. With a warrant
issued for his arrest and a rape allegation looming over his name, the fact that police can't
find him makes matters worse.

Asst. Chief Mike Allen is with the West Memphis Police Department.

"Right now there is an active search for him."

Marco McClendon was a colleague of Colemans.

"I don't think he's on the run, he's got too much here -- a home here."

On Monday night, Coleman's attorney spoke only to Eyewitness News about Coleman's whereabouts.

Roy Lewellen is Coleman

(Negritude confirmed)

Image below from front page of Memphis Commercial Appeal
but subscription required to view articles.

Image description
West Memphis City Councilman Herman Coleman (middle) heads to his arraignment hearing with wife Glendora and attorney Roy 'Bill' Lewellen after turning himself in to authorities at the Crittenden County Courthouse Tuesday afternoon. Coleman was charged Friday with the Jan. 10 rape of a women at a West Memphis home. Lewellen said his client is not guilty.

Google news on Herman Coleman

Plea Hearing Set for West Memphis Alderman Charged With Rape

WEST MEMPHIS, AR - A plea hearing is set for the end of February for a West Memphis city council member and pastor accused of raping a woman after she showed him a house for sale.

Herman Coleman remains free on a $50,000 bond. The plea hearing is to be in Crittenden County Circuit Court.

Police say the woman showed Coleman a house she was selling earlier this month and the two returned to her home to negotiate the sale. They say Coleman left the house but returned 15 minutes later and raped the woman.

Police arrested Coleman after he turned himself in last week. Police had been looking for him for days.

He als
o is a minister at Unity Baptist church in West Memphis

Back