Black Birdwatcher not cooperating with investigation into alleged false report by white woman

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
Re: Woman placed on leave from work after viral Central Park video

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/birdwatcher-not-cooperating-with-probe-into-central-park-karen/

Birdwatcher not cooperating with investigation into Central Park ‘Karen’ Amy Cooper
By Elizabeth Rosner
July 7, 2020 | 8:55pm | Updated

The man at the center of the Central Park “Karen” fiasco has said he will not cooperate with the Manhattan district attorney’s investigation, according to a new report.

Christian Cooper told the New York Times on Tuesday that Amy Cooper, 41, has suffered enough since the May encounter that destroyed her career and reputation.

Amy Cooper was charged on Monday with falsely reporting an incident in the third degree.

“On the one hand, she’s already paid a steep price,” Christian, 57, told the paper, referring to the criminal charge. “That’s not enough of a deterrent to others?”

The avid birdwatcher added, “Bringing her more misery just seems like piling on.”

“So if the DA feels the need to pursue charges, he should pursue charges. But he can do that without me,” he said, adding that greater principles are at stake.

In a now-viral May video that sparked national outrage, Amy, a white woman :eek:, tells the birdwatcher she is going to call the cops and “tell them there’s an African American man threatening my life.”

“Please tell them whatever you like,” Christian, who is no relation, responds.

She is seen taking out her cellphone and telling police, “I’m in the Ramble and an African American man with a bicycle helmet, he is recording me and threatening my dog.”

She continues, “There is an African American man. I am in Central Park. He is recording me and threatening myself and my dog.”

The woman starts to shake and says, “I’m sorry, I can’t hear … I’m being threatened by a man in the Ramble, please send the cops immediately.”

Amy Cooper — who later apologized for the incident — was fired from her job at the investment firm Franklin Templeton.

She is set to be be arraigned in October, and could face up to a year in prison for her 911 call.

‘Central Park Karen’ Amy Cooper loses lawsuit against former employer​

By
Patrick Reilly

September 22, 2022 12:52am
Updated

‘Central Park Karen’ Amy Cooper loses lawsuit against former employer

Amy Cooper, the white woman dubbed “Central Park Karen” after accusing a black bird-watcher of threatening her in 2020, lost a lawsuit against her former employer claiming she was illegally fired and portrayed as a racist.
US District Judge Ronnie Abrams rejected Cooper’s claim on Wednesday that she was defamed when ex-employer Franklin Templeton, a holding company, axed her one day after the viral altercation in Central Park.
Cooper claimed that Franklin Templeton and its chief executive Jenny Johnson perpetuated her image as a “privileged white female ‘Karen’” by making public statements about firing her after conducting an investigation into the incident.
In May 2020, Cooper went viral after video showed her yelling at birder Christian Cooper and calling the police to claim an “African American man” was “threatening” her while she was walking her dog in Central Park.
An image from the viral video shows Amy Cooper calling the police to claim she was threatened by an African American man while walking her dog.An image from the viral video shows Amy Cooper calling the police to claim she was threatened by an African American man while walking her dog.AP Amy Cooper's claims were denied by a judge after she argued that her ex-employer illegally fired her and labeled her a racist.Amy Cooper’s claims were denied by a judge after she argued that her ex-employer illegally fired her and labeled her a racist.
Her suit, filed in May 2021, argued her call to cops had nothing to do with Christian’s race — but rather because the “overzealous birdwatcher” selected her as a “target” in a feud between bird and dog lovers.
Cooper was charged by the Manhattan district attorney in July 2020 with falsely reporting an incident in the third degree. The charge was ultimately tossed by prosecutors after she attended therapy sessions on racial bias, but she still lost her job.
She had worked at Franklin Templeton as an insurance portfolio manager since 2015.
Footage from the video shows when Amy Cooper yells at Christian Cooper in Central Park in New York.Footage from the video shows when Amy Cooper yells at Christian Cooper in Central Park in New York.AP
Cooper claimed in her suit that her former employer’s statements, which received over 200,000 likes on Twitter, implied that the company had uncovered details about her alleged racism not evident from the video, but the Manhattan judge disagreed.
“The contents of the viral video, as well as the dialogue surrounding it both in the media and on social media, were already matters of public knowledge,” rendering the defendants’ statements “inactionable as pure opinion,” Abrams wrote in his decision.

Back