BLACK KILLA: Chicago-area man killed in north Phoenix; suspect arrested: PD looks for motive

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Chicago-area man killed in north Phoenix; suspect arrested: PD​

By Nicole Garcia , Kenneth Wong , Irene Snyder and Brent Corrado

Published October 23, 2023

Updated November 21, 2023

PHOENIX - A man from the Chicago area was killed in north Phoenix near 56th Street and Deer Valley Drive.

Police say they found the victim with multiple gunshot wounds at around 10:20 p.m. on Oct. 22.

"The man was transported to a local hospital. However, he did not survive his injuries and was pronounced deceased," Phoenix Police said in a statement.

The victim was later identified as 31-year-old Abashe Mathis. Court records show Mathis is from the Chicago area.

Man arrested in deadly north Phoenix shooting​

N DEANGELO N PHX.png
28-year-old DeAngelo Robinson

Police announced that they have arrested 28-year-old DeAngelo Robinson in connection with Abashe Mathis shooting death near 56th Street and Deer Valley Drive.

On Nov. 20, Phoenix Police officials announced that they arrested 28-year-old DeAngelo Robinson in connection with Mathis' death.

"[Robinson] was booked into jail on multiple felony charges to include murder," police said.

‘They didn’t have a chance …'​

"It was a shock to see it in this neighborhood, for sure," Lori Landis, a nearby resident said.

Several hundred people attended the Arizona Jazz Festival. The evening didn’t end so smoothly for many who happened to have parked near the shooting scene.

"I’m just still in shock," said one woman. "I’ve never had my car stuck in a crime scene like a movie, so unreal."

Her car was stuck inside the crime scene.

Man killed in north Phoenix​

"We couldn’t get our vehicles. Everyone came in from all over the nation, they couldn’t get their rental cars for flights," she said.

Investigators worked all night into the morning collecting shell casings and other evidence in the parking lot. Witnesses say Mathis was walking in the parking lot with a woman, but it appears he was the target of what witnesses describe as a drive-by shooting, and police have not stated if the case is being investigated as such.

"I don’t think it’s a reflection of the area."

"It was some sort of conflict between separate parties,"
a person who works nearby said. "I don’t think it’s a reflection of the area."

Another person said, "It seemed like they said they were walking, and the car sped on them. They didn’t have a chance to do anything. A lot of people, a lot of cars. That was really risky too, a lot of people were out here walking. Anybody could’ve gotten hurt."

Back