Dirty doctor Mardan Mahmod struck off

-88-

Registered
Dirty doctor struck off

A dirty doctor who had an affair with a patient and took drugs he had prescribed for her has been struck off for serious professional misconduct.

Mardan Mahmod also borrowed Ô�Å¡£8,000 from the woman, known only Mrs A, whom he was treating her in hospital for a blood condition.

The pair embarked on a "improper, inappropriate" fling after shameless Mahmod took the opportunity during a consultation to ask Mrs A, who is in her late 50s, if he could rent to a room in her Brighton home.

She told the hearing: "I wrote to him at the hospital asking if he was still interested in renting the room. He left me two messages on the answerphone and he came to see me the same evening. I invited him into the lounge and and sat
him on the settee.

"He didn't discuss the room at all. He just got me on the sett
ee for sexual reasons."

During their illicit three-year affair, father-of-one Mahmod divided his time between Mrs A's flat, accommodation provided by his Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton and his family home in Croydon, south London.

He routinely prescribed her sleeping pills without informing her GP between December 1999 and November 2002 and took most of them himself.

He was said to be a "hypochondriac" who packed his fridge with bottles of tablets with other patients' names on them.

Worried that sleazy Mahmod would leave her, Mrs A, who was going through a divorce at the time and in financial difficulties, lent him Ô�Å¡£8,000 so he could buy two cars.

Mahmod has since paid her back Ô�Å¡£3,600 but she is still out of pocket to the tune of Ô�Å¡£4,400 and is suing him for its return.

Suspecting that Mahmod was seeing another wo
man, Mrs A ended their sordid affair in November 2002 and the jilted doctor turned nasty and began threatening her, the General Medical Council heard at the do
ctor's disciplinary hearing.

The hearing was told how Mrs A began attending the hospital's Haematology Outpatients Department in 1994. Mahmod treated her between 1997 and January 2004.

The panel found that doctor and patient had a "personal, emotional and sexual" relationship lasting almost three years.

Striking Mahmod off the medical register, GMC chairman John Shaw said: "The panel is clear that Dr Mahmod's conduct towards Mrs A - sexual, financial and with regard to prescribing - damages the medical profession and undermines the trust that members of the public place in the medical profession.

"In all the circumstances of this case, the panel has determined that erasure is the only appropriate sanction.

"Dr Mahmod abused his position as a doctor with a potenti
ally vulnerable patient who was recently separated and who was also experiencing financial difficulties by initiating a personal and sexual relationship with her.

"The doctor engaged in a wholly improper relationship with Mrs A,
his patient. He borrowed substantial sums of money from her, which resulted in county court proceedings and he prescribed inappropriately and improperly."

The hearing was told how Mahmod also ran a dry cleaning business on top of his job at the hospital.

Giving evidence, Mrs A said Mahmod was a "terrible bully" but she "fell in love with him". She said: "He was a hypochondriac. He has so much medicine in his fridge. There were bottles of tablets with other patients's on them.

"If he had an infection he would go to the fridge and take a tablet of something."

Mahmod did not attend the hearing. He had previously denied any wrongdoing, insisting he was unaware being in a relationship wi
th a patient was inappropriate.

Back