Former B.C. white supremacist speaks out against hate, now a tool of joo kwan

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Former+white+supremacist+speaks+against+hate/10853142/story.html

Former B.C. white supremacist speaks out against hate

Daniel Gallant admits to horrible acts of violence in video project that aims to counter extremist propaganda

Sun March 1, 2015

10853143.jpg

VANCOUVER — Daniel Gallant once made a pledge to himself that he would commit an assault every day for a year to show his commitment to the white supremacist movement.

In a video he made for the Extreme Dialogue project, link Gallant lists off the horrifying array of weapons he used to hurt people: his fists, a bar stool, beer bottles, steel-toed boots, a shovel, a car door, guns, knives, a hockey stick and a hatchet.

Then came Sept 11, 2001. It was a turning point for Gallant, but in a very unusual way.

He was living in northern B.C. when he learned that the twin towers of the World Trade Center had fallen. Rather than being disgusted by the senseless loss of life, Gallant saw the attack as a declaration of war against a common enemy.

”What they targeted was the epicentre of Jewish money,” he said.

But instead of preparing for battle, white power leaders called for their followers to stand down. Gallant felt betrayed — like the movement was a joke.

“I broke down mentally and physically. I was going to commit suicide,” he said.

Besides the videos, the Extreme Dialogue project also provides educational resources for schools and community groups. Training on preventing kids from joining extremist groups will be offered for teachers, community workers and police.

“It is so stupid,” he says.

“I got addicted to the power in beating somebody, in waking them up and beating them back into unconsciousness and just not stopping.”

Besides the videos, the Extreme Dialogue project also provides educational resources for schools and community groups. Training on preventing kids from joining extremist groups will be offered for teachers, community workers and police.

Back