Mating / Dating

Rasp

Senior Editor
[From: The Odinist, no. 7 (1973)]

MATING / DATING

In an earlier article about THE CLANS we touched lightly upon the fact that in the old European Continental aristocracy it was common practice that both partners in a contemplated marriage were supplying an official certificate stating what sort of people their eight great-grandparents were, the so-called Seize-Quartiers; this was done for the simple purpose of forming a shrewd opinion about the prospects and desirability of the marriage and estimate the compatibility of the two persons concerned and whether the union would profit both families; and here the thought was not so much on financial gain, but more directed towards the possible offspring who would be the future carriers of the family tree.

In many parts of Europe, particularly in the South, it has until recently, and in some locations still is the rule, even amongst ordinary people, that parents chose the future marriage partners for their children. Often times this seems to work even better than when the young people do their own choosing. Our divorce statistics bear out this fact abundantly, particularly in regard to teenage marriages where about 50% end up on the rocks.

This way of entering into marriage was also common, in Northern Europe when the Clan System was still honoured.

The most important reason for this practice was the fact that in older days before our industrialized society, most people were farmers. They were closely linked to nature and knew well her laws. Through observation more than from knowledge, about eugenics, they knew that wild animals only mate within their own group. They knew equally well that if they wanted to retain certain traits in their farm animals, they should not indulge in mixing the breeds, but rather take good care that their valuable stock would be kept pure.

With all these well known facts before them, it would seem sheer folly and callous stupidity not to be equally or even more concerned about whom their sons and daughters were to marry; a marriage was not thought of as just companionship and sex, but promised the possibility of bringing children into the family, and it was therefore of great importance who the future carriers of the family name would be. Naturally more care would have to be taken where the family tree was concerned than with their cows and horses. With our present knowledge about eugenics it seems a very logical and necessary precaution our wise ancestors took, in carefully choosing the marriage partners for their children.

I can hear screams going up: Do they want to decide whom I'm going to marry? - They must be kidding? - Parents don't understand a thing! - None of my friends are good enough for Mom and Dad! - They haven't got the foggiest where it's at! - and so on.

Would the young people of today, with all the scientific knowledge we have then not be able, wisely, to choose their marriage partners? Looking again at the divorce statistics it does not seem so. - I hear more screams going up and I will hasten to say that I do not believe the youth of today is less intelligent or less concerned about finding a good mate than previous generations. I would suggest however, that never before have so many been confused so much by so few. — What today, consciously or unconsciously is peddled off as facts about being 'happy', 'falling in love', and 'love, sweet love' is much more dangerous to the future of our civilization than any epidemic we so far have experienced. And this holds true not only for the West but for all peoples.

Love is being confused with sex, marriage with 'having fun', and bringing up children is compared to playing with dolls. Unfortunately, it just ain't so! - Many things have to be taken into consideration before the odds for a reasonably successful marriage are acceptable. I realize that it is no longer possible and maybe not desirable eithar to return to the old days when the family council decided who should marry whom; - I did not leave it up to my parents either and the young people of today can think for themselves. There are lots of scientific facts available to them if only they would take the trouble, or maybe I should rather say be allowed to learn about them BEFORE they enter into a marriage contract.

All this means that even when dating, a young person should use his head. Of course not all dates end up in marriage, but the purpose of dating is quite naturally the initial stages of looking for a mate. There is an old saying that 'Birds of a feather flack together'. With all the equality propaganda we endure these days it seems almost blasphemic to mention it. But, as Ted Garner Armstrong says: "It is not racism to realize there are many differences between the races. If people could only wash their winds of feelings of racial inferiority or superiority - racism, and come to realize that there ARE basic strengths and weaknesses among the races!"

Even within each race there are many differences between the various groups. - I am reminded of the story about the Englishman, the German and the Frenchman who each were to write an essay about the elephant. The Englishman went on a safari to study the animal in its natural habitat, the German went to the library to read all the books he could find about the subject and the Frenchman put on his coat and hat and went to the zoo. This does not mean that a marriage between any two members of these three nations would not be desirable, it only shows that even between persons who are racially closely related there are differences. And then think of the problems one would encounter when the two partners are racially further removed.

But not only racial differences are a hazard to a happy marriage and fine and healthy children; also social and religious differences often pose intolerable problems and put a strain upon a young couple, accounting for many heartbreaks that could have been avoided if only common sense had been used, and scientific facts had been consulted before the union was a fait accompli. It is a proven, but at present an unpopular statement, that the odds are against the success of a marriage between partners of two different cultures. The difference in cultural heritage, social background and level of insight are all factors which must be carefully considered and evaluated, and in most cases the two persons concerned are the ones most unlikely to have a clear understanding of the problems involved. If a marriage is intelligently decided upon, the young people concerned will experience the most important and also the most rewarding adventure of their lives.

[C.]

Back