'Middle Eastern' man in NZ road rage attack.

U

Unregistered

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3505470a11,00.html

Road rage victim begged for mercy
08 December 2005

Jonathan Harris begged for mercy as an enraged motorist smashed him repeatedly in the face with a riot baton during a road-rage attack in Tauranga.

Mr Harris suffered broken teeth and a facial gash in the attack yesterday.

The attack was triggered by the teen giving the fingers to the man minutes earlier, after seeing him cut off several cars and swerve from side to side.

"He was all over the road. He could have caused a bloody accident. He was driving like a maniac," Mr Harris, 19, said today.

Mr Harris was waiting at an intersection about 10am when he saw the incensed man leap from his car parked in the middle of the road and stride ove

r.

He thought he saw a gun in his hand.

The man came at him with a
"black side-handle baton", similar to those issued to riot police.

Seatbelted in the driver's seat, Mr Harris could not defend himself - "it was just cowardly" he said - and he repeatedly pleaded with the man to stop.

"I just said 'No, not the baton'."

The man bashed Mr Harris twice around the head and then "everything went blurry" for the teenager.

He didn't know how long he sat there before coming to, with a petrol station attendant handing him tissues to mop up the blood.

"And then I just got off the road and called my mum to take me to the hospital."

He is afraid to leave the house, as the attacker is still at large.

"He's obviously done it before. He's got it (the baton) in the car."

Police are worried about the violent incident of road rage.

Constable Craig Car
twri
ght
said the man was presumably still in possession of this weapon.

He had now demonstrated his ability and willingness to use it to commit serious crimes if at all provoked.

Mr Cartw
right said the attack was "vicious" and "carried out in cold blood" and there appeared to be an element of premeditation.

The attacker is described as a tall Middle Eastern man in his late 30s, with short grey or black hair.

He speaks with a strong foreign accent and was driving a late model dark-coloured BMW Spec "M", possibly a series 7, with a distinctive white scrape down the passenger side.

The registration number may start with the letter "B".

Anyone who may have seen this man or has information pertaining to the attack is urged to contact the Tauranga police.

Back