Muddafugga shot Tyrone Cotton!

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

8366_150.jpg

Suspect argued with brothers before shooting

After being shot once in the arm and then watching his brother take a bullet in the stomach, Tyrone Cotton said he picked up a baseball bat to defend himself and his brother from their attacker. Tyrone Cotton was then shot a second time, this time in the side

Police say Aljanon Alvin shot the Cotton brothers on the morning of Feb. 3, killing James Cotton and injuring Tyrone after an argument outside th
ir home on the 1800 block of Holly Avenue.

In a Chatham County Recorder's Court preliminary hearing Friday, Tyrone Cotton described the events that led to the death of his brother.

<b

>&qu
ot;I picked up a bat and went at him because he shot my brother after he shot me," Tyrone C
otton testified. "That's when he shot me in the side. There was no time to say any words.[/b]

"I still would want to ask him why he shot us."

Alvin is charged with murder, aggravated assault and several lesser crimes from the incident.

The shootings were sparked, Cotton said, after the brothers and Alvin argued.

Cotton testified that Alvin, their neighbor and occasional co-worker, told him that James had a bad work ethic and was a possible suspect in the theft of checks from a South Carolina moving business for which Alvin worked.

Testimony showed that around 10:30 a.m., Alvin pulled a .25-caliber pistol and threatened James Cotton, 47, a former
rhythm and blues radio DJ.

James Cotton backed off, but the altercation with the brothers continued when Tyrone Cotton poured a beer he was drinking on Alvin's vehicle, leading the tw
o to
scuffle,
according to Tyrone Cotton.

That's when Tyrone Cotton was pistol-whipped in the head and shot in the arm. James Cot
ton, coming to his brother's defense, was shot as he approached Alvin, according to Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Detective Dion Hurley.

Alvin claims self-defense in the shootings, Hurley testified. In Alvin's police interview, he told Hurley that James Cotton hit his car with a bat, shattering the windshield. He also said James Cotton struck him in the head with the bat prior to the shooting.

Hurley said he found no evidence either had happened.

Alvin also said the gun accidentally discharged, striking James Cotton.

He did not explain the other shots that struck Tyrone Cotton.

"I told him I didn't b
elieve that's what happened," Hurley testified.

Chatham County Recorder Pro-Tem Mary Kathryn Moss found sufficient evidence Friday to send Alvin's case to Superior Court
for tria
l. The district
attorney's office will present evidence to a grand jury to seek indictments against Alvin before a trial is scheduled.

What police say happened:

"‚¢ James Cotton
and Aljanon Alvin argue outside Cotton's house on the 1800 block of Holly Avenue at about 10:30 a.m.

"‚¢ Alvin allegedly pulls a gun on Cotton, who backs off.

"‚¢ Tyrone Cotton, angry that his brother was threatened, scuffles with Alvin and is shot in the arm.

"‚¢ James Cotton tries to help his brother and is shot in stomach. He later dies.

"‚¢ After seeing his brother shot, Tyrone Cotton goes after Alvin and is shot a second time, this time in the side.

"‚¢ Police arrest Alvin around 10:45 a.m., charging him with aggravated assault in the shootings.

"‚¢ On Feb. 4,
authorities accuse Alvin of murder following James Cotton's death.

It's a shame they all didn't die that fateful TNB day.

T.N.B.

Back