Negro Convicted In Rape & Robbery

Rick Dean

Registered

http://www.thewbalchannel.com/news/2457798/detail.html

Employee Raped At High's Store Sues Security Co.
Two Woman Raped While Working At Convenience Store

POSTED: 7:17 a.m. EDT September 5, 2003
UPDATED: 7:46 p.m. EDT September 5, 2003

TOWSON, Md. -- A 21-year-old woman who was repeatedly raped during a robbery at the convenience store where she worked has sued the store's supervisor and security company.

Malena Wilt claims the alarm system did not function once during the six-h
ur ordeal, nor did it alert police that the store was being robbed.

WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter David Collins reported that Wilt is coming forward to send a message that rape is never the v

ict
m's fault and that High's needs to better protect its employees.

The woman and a co-worker
were attacked May 14 at the High's store on Frederick Road. It was Wilt's second day on the job. She has filed a $2 million lawsuit in Baltimore County Circuit Court.

"I did think we were going to die," Wilt said. "[The suspect] got me and raped me ... and hours went by. They were in the store kicking stuff around, then he came back and said, 'It wasn't fair if he got one and not the other,' so they got her and raped me again."

Collins said Wilt is just now able to get her life back together and is just now getting over being too scared to fall sleep at night.

The woman's lawyer, Jay Miller, said the store's security s
ystem -- which was run by Crime Time Security Co. -- failed to monitor the store properly.

"We were hoping that somebody was going to come, like the police or somebody. All night we wer
e in
there -- n
o alarm, no nothing," Wilt said.

Wilt told the 11 News I-Team she wasn't told anything about the alarm system, much less how to use it.

"Even if t
hat in-store alarm wasn't functioning that evening, Crime Time's monitoring system at their home base should've told them, 'The alarm's not functioning, let's get someone over there, something's gone wrong,'" Miller said.

But Crime Time's attorney, Paul Sandler, wrote: "It's a horrible, horrible situation for the victim. However, Mr. William Roth's (company owner) responsibility is no closer than the man on the moon."

High's had no comment, and the other victim has also hired an attorney, Collins reported.

Two west Baltimore men -- Steven
Burrell and Lesser Dodd -- were arrested and charged with robbery and rape days after the attack. They are scheduled for trial this month.

Stay with TheWBALChannel.com and 11
News fo
r the latest news u
pdates.

Back