Negro ooking about nachos shoots Indy WM clerk in face, stomach

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/gas-station-employee-shot-overnight

Police arrest suspect in gas station clerk shooting
4:39 AM, Oct 13, 2015

6095%20101315%2028_1444725423348_25135562_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Police have made an arrest in the Tuesday morning shooting of a gas station employee on Indianapolis' north side.

Around 1 a.m., officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were called to the Speedway gas station near 71st Street and Keystone Avenue.

Police say a black man -- about 5-foot-9 with a skinny build -- wearing a red Nike hat with a red woolen-filled vest and a scraggly beard entered the gas station and asked about nachos. He then said something to the clerk before leaving.

A few minutes later, he returned and shot the clerk in the face and stomach. Police say it wasn't a robbery attempt.

http://www.wthr.com/story/30245219/gas-station-employee-shot-on-citys-northeast-side

UPDATE: Police arrest 27-year-old man in northeast-side gas station shooting
Updated: Oct 13, 2015 6:16 AM PST

9003269_G.jpg
9003934_G.jpg

INDIANAPOLIS -

A man working at a Speedway gas station at the intersection of East 71st Street and North Keystone Avenue was shot around 1:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Police arrested a 27-year-old man in connection to the shooting around 8 a.m. Tuesday after a family member turned him in. He was arrested at the Colonial Square Apartments in the 5700 block of Renn Lane.

"I don't understand why," the suspect's mother told Eyewitness News' Matt McCutcheon. "I just had a whole new grandbaby yesterday. And I don't understand why he would do something like this. It is so heartbreaking."

Police say the suspect entered the store and began a conversation about nachos with the employee. The employee told police the suspect was incoherent and acting strangely and that the suspect then left the gas station before returning with a gun.

The employee was shot in the face and the stomach. He was taken to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis in critical, but stable condition, according to IMPD.

"I don't know what happened or what went wrong," the suspect's mother said. "I don't know. I just pray that that man is okay and that he pulls through. That is all I know. All I can do is pray...I just pray for the his family and pray that he pulls through and I just want to let him know that he (my son) is not a bad person. I just don't know what happened, what went wrong, who he was with."

Officers say they are uncertain what the suspect's motive is.

The suspect told Matt McCutcheon, "I went to sleep last night. That's what I did."

But, there was allegedly an altercation between the suspect and the victim.

“We don't know what the mental capacity of this individual was," said IMPD Officer Christopher Wilburn. "I can say after speaking with officers on scene that he was very incoherent from what we have been able to understand."

Back