Student Beat Up Teacher Who Took Friend's iPod

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=5246432

Teacher's Attackers Sentenced

PHILADELPHIA - April 26, 2007 - Two students who attacked high school teacher Frank Burd were sentenced on Thursday.

Burd now wears a neck brace while his cracked vertebrae heal. Burd said coming to court was difficult, but he is grateful he was able to do it.
"I'm not paralyzed and I'm not dead. I'm going to be ok," he said.

Still, Burd struggles to get around and to understand why he was attacked. The 60-year-old Germantown High School teacher's neck was broken when assaulted by two students in February.

Donte Boykin, who just turned 18, pleaded guilty to pushing his teacher for confiscating his iPod. 15-year-old James Footman, who was passing by, pleaded guilty to punching the falling teacher in his face.

The normally outgoing Burd was nervous about coming to their sentencing today.

"I suddenly realized I had fears that I didn't have before. Fears like driving in a car, watching other people or, because I can't look down because of the brace, fear of something close to me," said Burd.

In court, Burd learned Footman was born crack addicted and has had emotional and behavior problems. :pity:

Boykin, who was a college bound senior, testified he essentially had a tantrum. He was sorry for what he did and offered the injured teacher a handshake and a hug. Although angry at him, Burd accepted. (What a liberal ****head! I knew this was coming!)

"I genuinely care about him. I was reminded today that I care about him," he said. :noway:

Burd shared family photos, and one of him bleeding on the floor, so the teens could see the teacher they hurt is someone's husband, father, and grandfather.

Boykin and Footman were sentenced to juvenile facilities and court supervision.

Boykin's father, a national guardsman and former housing authority police officer, hopes his son learns from this incident. :rolleyes2:

"This is something new for him. It's kind of hard for me too," said Roy Jerome Boykin.

Burd, who teaches algebra, theatre and photography, is working to finish the 2007 yearbook despite his injuries.

He struggles to concentrate, sleep and sit for long periods. While his love of young people hasn't changed, he's not sure what his future holds.

"It's very hard, very hard to picture myself not teaching, but I don't know," said Burd.

He expects the neck brace to be off in a month, but it's the emotional scars Burd worries about. He said he just hopes what happened leads to positive changes in his attackers and to safer Philadelphia schools. :rolleyes2:

Back