Terror accused leader praised Osama bin Laden

B

BB-Leo

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23282146-2862,00.html

Terror accused leader praised Osama bin Laden

Katie Bice

February 27, 2008 12:00am

THE accused leader of a Melbourne terror cell said his "brother" Osama bin Laden was a "great man", a court heard yesterday.

Abdul Nacer Benbrika said bin Laden saw Australia as his enemy because Australia was helping the Americans in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Supreme Court jury was played parts of a television interview Mr Benbrika did in May 2005.

The court heard Mr Benbrika told the reporter that bin Laden's desire to rid his country of American troops was understandable.

When asked why bin Laden had called for action against Australia, Mr Benbrika replied: "His understanding, anyone who helps the enemy should be my enemy."

Prosecutor Richard Maidment, SC, said the alleged spiritual leader of the group hid his real views on topics including carrying out a terror attack in Australia.

"Mr Benbrika is as deceptive and evasive and shifty in this interview as he can possibly be," he said.

Mr Benbrika told a follower bin Laden had warned the British Government about the London tube bombings in 2005. "Osama warned you and you didn't listen, it's your fault," he said.

Mr Benbrika talked about an ASIO raid in which his passport was confiscated, and commented that he had lived in Australia for more than a decade without problem.

"I didn't attack anyone, I didn't harm anyone, I am not inviting people or I am not teaching people to harm anyone," he said.

When Mr Benbrika is asked if he supports terror attacks on home soil, he replies:

"It is forbidden to kill innocent people."

But Mr Maidment said this was directly opposed to Mr Benbrika's real view, expressed to other group members when he said it was permissible to kill innocent women, children and the elderly.

In other conversations between the group, they call the reporter a "deadhead" who will never realise he is being deceived.

Those who have pleaded not guilty to being a member of a terror group are: Mr Benbrika, 48, of Dallas; Abdullah Merhi, 22, of Fawkner; Shane Kent, 31, of Meadow Heights; Majed Raad, 23, of Coburg; Aimen Joud, 23, of Hoppers Crossing; Ahmed Raad, 24, of Fawkner; Fadl Sayadi, 28, of Coburg; Ezzit Raad, 26, of Preston; Hany Taha, 33, of Hadfield; Shoue Hammoud, 28, of Hadfield; Bassam Raad, 26, of Brunswick; and Amer Haddara, 28, of Yarraville.

The hearing, before Justice Bernard Bongiorno, continues

Back