Tom Cruise film about plot to murder Hitler

Rasp

Senior Editor
Tom Cruise film about plot to murder Hitler

Cruise plot to slay Hitler

0,,5424938,00.jpg

TOM Cruise is to star in a World War II thriller about a plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, reports said today.

The 44-year-old Mission Impossible star will take a central role of the untitled film, which will be directed by Bryan Singer of The Usual Suspects and Superman Returns fame, reports said.

Movie industry press said the film would be the second made by United Artists since Cruise took over the company last year following his acrimonious split with Paramount.

The movie is based on a real-life plot hatched by German generals to kill Hitler during World War II.

Cruise, regarded as one of the most bankable stars in Hollywood with $US2.7 billion ($A3.3 billion) in receipts, is currently working on political drama Lions for Lambs, with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep.

Script, direction, production and acting all done by J*ws. :eek:

The movie I'll never see. I don't watch anything with Cruise in it.

I wonder how many times gas chambers, flaming trenches, babies, stolen money, crowded trains, watch towers, german shepherds, etc., will be mentioned / portrayed. More holohoax scamming.

Family of German war hero slam Cruise casting

Family of German war hero slam Cruise casting

A forthcoming film about Adolf Hitler's would-be assassin has sparked criticism from the dead man's family. Descendants of Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg object to the choice of Tom Cruise for the lead role, fearing that the story will be turned into "propaganda" for the actor's Scientology beliefs.

Focus, a German news magazine, has reported that Cruise is currently considering the role of von Stauffenberg. A spokesperson for United Artists, the film's backers, is believed to have confirmed the news.

Born into an aristocratic Bavarian family, Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg was the Wehrmacht colonel behind the July 20 plot to kill the Führer in 1944. The German officer placed a bomb in a suitcase under a table at a meeting Hitler was attending. The bomb detonated but was not strong enough to kill the German leader, although four members of his inner circle died in the blast. Von Stauffenberg was subsequently caught and executed.

The movie adaptation is to be produced at United Artists, the Hollywood studio Cruise is heading with his business partner Paula Wagner. Entitled Valkyrie - the codename for the operation, named after the Richard Wagner opera - the film is to be directed by Bryan Singer. The script was co-written by Christopher McQuarrie, who penned the Singer-directed thriller The Usual Suspects.

The role of Hitler has yet to be cast, reports Focus, adding that the film is to be shot in Berlin and in eastern Europe.

But Von Stauffenberg's descendants are concerned at the plans. "I have nothing against him [Cruise] and can even separate his work from his beliefs in Scientology," Count Caspar Schenk von Stauffenberg, the officer's grandson told the Scotsman, which notes that the family is staunchly Catholic.

"But I and other family members are worried that the picture will be financed by the sect and be used to get across its propaganda," he added. "Unfortunately the family Stauffenberg can do nothing about this. My grandfather is a figure from history."

Germany Bans Cruise Film Shoot

Germany Bans Cruise Film Shoot

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany has barred the makers of a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler from filming at German military sites because its star Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.

Cruise, also one of the film's producers, is a member of the Church of Scientology which the German government does not recognize as a church. Berlin says it masquerades as a religion to make money, a charge Scientology leaders reject.

The U.S. actor has been cast as Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, leader of the unsuccessful attempt to assassinate the Nazi dictator in July 1944 with a bomb hidden in a briefcase.

Defense Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer said the film makers "will not be allowed to film at German military sites if Count Stauffenberg is played by Tom Cruise, who has publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult."

"In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person," Kammerbauer said.

Cruise's publicists could not be reached for comment.

Stauffenberg had been deeply opposed to the Nazis' treatment of the Jews and planted a briefcase bomb under a table near Hitler in his "Wolf's Lair" headquarters on July 20, 1944. The bomb went off but only wounded the Fuehrer.

The film, slated for a 2008 release and to be directed by Bryan Singer and co-starring Kenneth Branagh, is called "Valkyrie" after Operation Valkyrie, the plot's codename.

The main site of interest would be the "Bendlerblock" memorial inside the Defense Ministry complex in Berlin. This is where Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators hatched the plot and where he and his closest comrades were executed when it failed.

Kammerbauer said the ministry had not yet received official filming requests from the producers of "Valkyrie."

Nazi planes fly over village for Cruise film

Nazi planes fly over village for Cruise film

BERLIN (Reuters) - Vintage World War Two aircraft bearing swastikas and other Nazi symbols flew low over the German village of Loepten near Berlin Sunday, but local residents had been warned in advance -- it was for a film.

The planes were being used to film a segment of Hollywood thriller "Valkyrie," starring Tom Cruise. He plays German army Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, who was executed after a failed attempt to assassinate Hitler in 1944.

Pictures taken by locals of the planes flying at low altitude over the village were published in Bild newspaper on Monday. "The residents were warned about possible noise," it quoted Mayor Friedrich Schoenfeld as saying.

It is illegal to display Nazi symbols in public in Germany, although filmmakers and theatrical companies are exempted. :rolleyes2:

Watch the Valkyrie Trailer

Tom Cruise heads an international cast as Col. Claus von Stauffenberg, the aristocratic German officer who led the heroic attempt to bring down the Nazi regime and end the war by planting a bomb in Hitler's bunker. The "July 20 Plot" on Hitler's life is one of the most heroic but least known episodes of World War Two. Severely wounded in combat, Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg returns from Africa to join the German Resistance and help create Operation Valkyrie, the complex plan that will allow a shadow government to replace Hitler's once he is dead. But fate and circumstance conspire to thrust Stauffenberg from one of many in the plot to a double-edged central role. Not only must he lead the coup and seize control of his nation's government... He must kill Hitler himself.

Critics split over Cruise's Nazi role

bilde

Valkyrie, named after the plot by German military officers to overthrow the Nazi leadership, opens in US cinemas on Dec 25 and tells the story of Stauffenberg’s attempt to kill Hitler by placing a briefcase bomb under his conference table at his “Wolf’s Lairâ┚¬ military headquarters in Eastern Prussia on July 20 1944.

The bomb went off and four officers at the meeting were killed but Hitler was shielded by the heavy oak table and survived the blast with only slight injuries to his leg. Stauffenberg and three of his co-conspirators were executed by firing squad that night in Berlin.

Hitler exacted bestial revenge. More than 600 co-conspirators were arrested and there were more than 50 trials that resulted in more than 110 death sentences. On Hitler’s orders, many of the prisoners were hanged from meat hooks with nooses made from piano wire. The executions were filmed for him to watch.

:Swastika2:

The controversy over the film also triggered fresh debate about Stauffenberg, with some historians warning against unqualified adulation of a fervent nationalist who for a long time was a committed career officer under the Nazis and who, according to some accounts, supported the Nazi ideology that eastern European territories should be colonised by Germans.

“The population is an unbelievable rabble, very many Jews and very many mixed-race people. A people that feels comfortable under the lash,â┚¬ Stauffenberg wrote in a letter to his family from occupied Poland in 1939.

Stauffenberg was attached to the army’s general staff during Germany’s lightning victory over France in 1940.

He was severely wounded during an air raid in North Africa in April 1943, losing his left eye, right hand and two fingers of his left hand.

His gradual distancing from Hitler started with the Nov 1938 pogrom against Jews across Germany and was reinforced after Hitler’s invasion of Russia in 1941 resulted in the deportation and systematic killing of Jews.

Convinced Hitler’s strategy was doomed to failure, he joined the resistance movement that had formed among a group of senior officers and civilians.

“The time has come to do something. But anyone who dares to take action must be aware that he will enter German history as a traitor. But if he desists, he will be a traitor to his own conscience,â┚¬ Stauffenberg told co-conspirators in a sentence often quoted by German politicians.

He was right. In 1951, seven years after the assassination attempt, more than half of Germans still condemned the plot, and 21 per cent even believed Nazi Germany would have won the war if the resistance had not weakened the people’s fighting spirit, according to a survey.

yeah, yeah....ZOG propaganda....anyone that wants to see this garbage should look into "torrents" first....

I agree! I refuse to watch this liberal Jew propaganda. God damn ****s, I wish Hitler finished his work. **** Tom cruise and his Jew/ Scientology friends -- and his nigger friend Will Smith.

That's one of the benefits of working in a newsroom. UA sent me two passes to a special screening for the reviewing press on Monday (18th). All I have to do is promise not to bring any recording devices. I haven't decided if I'll attend but if I do I won't be paying for it.

I enjoy films where Nazis aren't made to look like bungling fools (viz. Hogan's Heroes) and am interested in seeing Wolf's Lair, Luftwaffe HQ, Wehrmacht HQ, etc. I also read (Deutsche-Welle?) they were using surviving Nazi relics wherever possible, including the actual furniture used by the Reich Ministry and many of the objects that once adorned Hitler’s desk. I'm sure it will be a veritable feast for the eyes.

I really don't give a crap about the plot or the inevitable propaganda as the only part I'm looking forward to is seeing Cruise on the end of a noose. Plus there won't be any niggers in it.

An interesting lesser-known murder mystery film with WWII/Operation Valkyrie as a backdrop is "The Night of the Generals" featuring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif and others.

It lacks the whole modern PC messages that saturate anything made about that era these days, which is quite refreshing.

Back