‘Bash’ charged in 2012 Gary, IN rape

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/27197625-418/gary-man-charged-in-2012-rape.html#.U2RNQlezlUM

Gary man charged in 2012 rape

A Gary man has been charged with several felonies in connection with a November 2012 rape in the city’s Miller section.

Sabastian X. Douglas, 23, is charged with rape, criminal deviate conduct, armed robbery, criminal confinement and sexual battery in the attack on a woman in an alley in the 500 block of South Lake Street.

The woman told police she had left work at the Stop and Shop Store, 5900 Miller Ave., and was walking north on Lake Street when a man yelled to her, came up and stuck a handgun in her side, forcing her across the street into the alley. The man dumped out her purse, took her ID and cellphone and raped her at gunpoint, according to police.

“I just got out of prison, and they call me ‘Bash’ for a reason,” the woman said the man told her.

She returned to the store, called police, and a co-worker told her a man known as “Bash” had been in the store a short time ago and was a customer in recent weeks, police said. Police retrieved video surveillance from the store.

The victim was treated at Methodist Hospitals Northlake Campus in Gary. DNA evidence was sent to the Indiana State Police crime lab, which matched it to Douglas, who has a conviction in Illinois, and he was arrested, authorities said.

Douglas also was charged in October with burglary while armed and armed robbery in a Merrillville case.

Multiple charges filed against Merrillville man - October 30, 2013

A person, who the man later identified as Sabastian Xavier Douglas, entered the home without permission and asked if he could use the man's cellphone, court documents state. Douglas, of Merrillville, allegedly demanded $300 after receiving the phone, but the man initially declined to provide the cash. Court documents state Douglas displayed a sawed-off shotgun and told the man, "you are going to give me the money or it is going to get bad in here."

Back