‘I’m gonna kill you’: New details in fatal shooting of ex-cop in Brooklyn

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
https://nypost.com/2021/06/09/new-details-in-fatal-shooting-of-ex-nypd-cop-in-brooklyn/

‘I’m gonna kill you’: New details in fatal shooting of ex-cop in Brooklyn
By Jorge Fitz-Gibbon
June 9, 2021 | 12:31pm | Updated

The 33-year-old man charged in a Brooklyn brawl that left a retired NYPD transit cop dead threatened, “I’m gonna kill you and shoot you” before a fight over a gun ensued, according to court records.

New details emerged in the fatal, accidental shooting of Thomas Marrinan outside a Kensington pizzeria Monday night, when he was called to the scene by his retired correction officer pal, whose 86-year-old father was being harassed by the suspect, Michael Soto.

“I don’t give a f—k,” Soto allegedly told Marrinan and the elderly man’s son, Robert Velasquez, according to a criminal complaint filed late Tuesday. “I don’t care if I die.”

The complaint says Marrinan and Velasquez identified themselves as members of service when they confronted Soto at Korner Pizzeria on Church Avenue — after the younger man allegedly slugged Velasquez’s elderly dad in the face.

Thomas-Marrinan-003.jpg

Ex-NYPD transit cop Thomas Marrinan was gunned down following a dispute in Brooklyn.

That’s when Soto spewed at them, “I’m gonna kill you and shoot you” before Velasquez drew his gun and Soto tried to make a grab for it, according to the court papers.

The gun discharged during the struggle, with the single slug going through Soto’s arm and striking Marrinan in the chest.

The beloved former transit cop was later pronounced dead at Maimonides Medical Center, police said.

Soto, who witnesses said was drunk at the time, was taken to the hospital for

Michael-Soto-006.jpg

Michael Soto was held without bail following his arraignment late Tuesday.

He is charged with second-degree manslaughter, second-degree attempted assault, and criminally negligent homicide. He was held without bail following his arraignment late Tuesday.
Kensington pizzeria
Kensington pizze

Back