2-legged animals arrested for abusing cute animals they were supposed to take care of

White Sail

Junior News Editor
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/new...Shelter-Employees/o6OVRJnacECN0VzIlV6FpQ.cspx

Suspended Memphis Animal Shelter Employees Arrested for Animal Cruelty
Reported by: Allison Sossaman
Last Update: 2/05 9:54 am

MEMPHIS, TN â┚¬“ There are new developments in the controversy surrounding the Memphis Animal Shelter. Two suspended employees have been arrested for animal cruelty.

At least one more arrest is expected.

The shelter's former supervisor, Tina Quattlebaum and veterinarian, Angela Middleton were in jail Thursday night facing aggravated animal cruelty charges. They're two of several employees who've been on paid suspension since the raid of the shelter in October 2009.

Story.jpg

2-legged beasts Middleton (left) and Quattlebaum

The Shelby County DA's office says Quattlebaum and Middleton face six counts of aggravated animal cruelty. That's a class E felony. A sheriff's office spokesman says deputies arrested Quattlebaum at her home. Middleton turned herself in. We're told a third defendant was also indicted, but is not in custody yet.

The October raid of the Memphis Animal Shelter and the investigation that followed exposed a world of problems at the city-run facility.

At least three dogs starved to death, others were found in horrible condition. Animal advocates called for justice. The shelter was shut down. Web cameras were installed before it reopened so that the public can monitor what goes on inside.

Sheriff's warrants cited employees investigators believed knew about and were responsible for the conditions.

The director, Ernest Alexander, was fired.

Others were put on paid leave, including shelter supervisor Tina Quattlebaum. She's been paid her salary of nearly $800 a week ever since. :mad:

The shelter's veterinarian, Angela Middleton has taken in $1,600 a week. :mad:

On January 25, 2010, Mayor AC Wharton told Eyewitness News he needed formal charges before he could take action.

"I'm going to look every taxpayer right in the eye and tell them, â┚¬’I am just as frustrated, if not more so, then you are because my hands that are tied.’ Right now, I have absolutely nothing I can write on a piece of paper and say here's why I'm cutting off your check," said Mayor Wharton in January.

Now it seems the formalities are becoming realities.

Tina Quattlebaum and Angela Middleton were being held in Jail East on $25,000 bond. The mayor's office would not confirm Thursday night whether or not they were still employees of the city of Memphis.

Shelby County DA Bill Gibbons and Sheriff Mark Luttrell will hold a news conference on these arrests Friday morning. Eyewitness News will be there to bring you the latest.

The Memphis Animal Shelter still is without a director. Mayor Wharton has told Eyewitness News on several occasions that the hiring was imminent.

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mos...irector-in-Police/iwqNknH7802vvHyquVz1xA.cspx

Former Memphis Animal Shelter Director in Police Custody
Reported by: Joyce Peterson
Last Update: 2/05 10:26 pm

ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO - Ernest Alexander, the former director of the Memphis Animal Shelter, is in police custody in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Story.jpg

The Shelby County Sheriff's fugitive squad tracked him down on Friday, February 5, 2010. Cops say he did not resist arrest and he acknowledged that he knew investigators were looking for him. Alexander had moved back home to New Mexico and was renting an apartment.

On Thursday, the Grand Jury indicted Alexander and two other shelter employees on animal cruelty charges. Supervisor Tina Quattlebaum and veterinarian Angela Middleton were arrested the same day the charges were handed up.

The charges stem from October's raid at the facility. Investigators say hundreds of animals were mistreated. Three dogs starved to death in the care of those employees.

"We're talking about three individuals," says Shelby County District Attorney Bill Gibbons, "who were top administrators at the animal shelter, responsible for making sure policies and practices were in place. Yet we have a situation where animals were simply being ignored in terms of basic needs."

The charge of aggravated animal cruelty is a felony. The DA says the average sentence is one to two years in prison for each count.

It takes kindness, empathy, and just plain old love of dogs to care for them. I.E. Cleaning FOR them, and as for KINDNESS, please.

TNB, and no one is going to really tell the truth IMO!

Horror's the dogs must have suffered under a TNB regime.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12064742

Former animal shelter admin a no-show in court.
Posted: Mar 01, 2010 3:35 PM CST
Updated: Mar 01, 2010 3:42 PM CST
By Kontji Anthony

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Facing six counts of aggravated animal cruelty, the former administrator of the Memphis Animal Shelter was scheduled to have his first court appearance Monday morning. But he wasn't there.

Herschal Rosenberg, the attorney for former Memphis Animal Shelter administrator Ernest Alexander, says Monday's court appearance was a surprise.

12064742_BG1.jpg

"I was watching the news, and I found out he was supposed to be here," Rosenberg said.

In court Monday, a judge set March 25 as the date for Alexander's arraignment, at which time the criminal complaint against him will be read.

Alexander is supposed to be there to hear the charges against him. Outside court, Rosenberg said they're just charges.

"Charges are charges, and we will address them," he said.

Alexander faces six counts of aggravated cruelty after Shelby County sheriff's deputies raided the Memphis Animal Shelter. There, investigators said, starving dogs had to be put down under Alexander's care, including a stray described as "friendly" during intake. The dog had to be put down when she starved and dropped to eight pounds in weight. Photos showed the dog's ribs poking out of her chest.

Rosenberg claims Alexander is innocent. :rolleyes:

"He is not guilty. There will be a plea of not guilty," he said.

Alexander was in his previous home town in New Mexico when the indictment dropped. His attorney said it was unfair for the state to treat him as a fugitive.

"How would you feel? Especially when there were prior negotiations with the state and there was supposed to be an opportunity for him to talk to them," Rosenberg said.

2-legged animals? :rotfl:

Seriously, my loathing of niggers just went up another notch. Niggers hate animals as much as I hate niggers. This is the first time that I've seen or heard about niggers working in an animal shelter. Niggers manning an animal shelter is like a fox guarding a hen-house. :eek: The animal shelter workers that I know told me -- privately -- that niggers are the reason why 75% of the animals in the shelter are in the shelter in the first place. Most of the dogs found in these shelters are pit bulls or pitt bull mixes and we all know who likes pit bulls. :rolleyes:

Speaking of pets, don't you cringe when you see commercials that show niggers being affectionate to their pets, e.g., you'll see a well-dressed -- professional looking -- sow hugging a dog in a $700,000 house with top-of-the-line Andersen windows. We know better. :rolleyes:

Attorney for Woman Charged In Memphis Animal Shelter Case Speaks Out
Candace McCowan
1:38 PM CDT, March 22, 2010

52872124-22114642.jpg

FAST FACTS:
Two Women charged in connection with the Memphis Animal Shelter in Court
Tina Quattlebaum and Angela Middleton both pleaded not guilty to animal cruelty charges
Quattlebaum's attorney William Massey said it was time to speak out

(Memphis 3/22/2010) "This has been very surprising and not a very pleasant experience to go through for her," said attorney Williams Massey.

His client, Tine Quattlebaum, was indicted on six charges of aggravated animal cruelty after pictures of a starving dog led to a raid of the Memphis Animal Shelter.

Massey says those pictures are deceiving, "That dog came that way, that dog arrived at the animal shelter that way, the pictures of the dog were taken at the home it was removed from," said Massey.

Massey says the shelter over crowding and lack of staff and resources were the cause of many problems at the shelter.

We asked him if Quattlebaum tried to get help from city leaders, "I think resources probably were strained as they are now through the city and state. We had what resources we had."

The new Director at the Memphis Animal Shelter, Matthew Pepper, appeared on WREG's live at 9 this morning.

Pepper says personnel changes were made and new procedures put in place before he took on his new job.

He admits there is more work to be done, "We have issues with the facility that don't really allow for some of the changes that need to make happen, so we are going to address that."

If Quattlebaum or Middleton are convicted on the charges of aggravated animal cruelty that they each face six years in prison for each charge

The shelter's former director, Ernest Alexander, also was indicted for animal abuse. He's free on bond.

http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-animal-shelter-women-in-court,0,5160478.story

Back