5 TEENIGGER MURDERERS: Shooter, 16, (finally) pleads guilty in home-invasion-turned-murder

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Shooter, 16, (finally) pleads guilty in home-invasion-turned-murder​

• Published: Dec. 20, 2018, 1:07 p.m.

I4YJMZM3QBFDPONQLDDE4RXQ4I.png

Top row, from left to right: Michael A. Smyre, Quinton L. Gathings and Tyrone Byrd. Bottom row, from left to right: Cameron C. Webster and Francis Mercado. A sixth defendant, Jonathan Mejia, was 15 years old at the time of his arrest and no photo of him has been released. Provided photos

By
Syracuse, NY -- The 16-year-old shooter in a home-invasion-turned-murder finally pleaded guilty today, a month after he backed out of his plea midstream.

Francis Mercado’s change of heart came the week after a co-defendant, Michael Smyre, 25, was convicted by jury of orchestrating the ordeal, which was supposed to be an armed burglary.

Mercado admitted to police that he opened fire Dec. 12, 2017 after encountering victim James Smith III. Smith was killed by the gunfire.

But Mercado had resisted pleading guilty, despite his apparent confession. He got close to pleading guilty Nov. 13, but then said: “No, I did not,” when asked if he murdered Smith.

Mercado was still planning to go to trial until recent days. His lawyers contacted prosecutor Robert Moran Wednesday, looking to make a deal. As it turned out, Mercado worked out his plea with state Supreme Court Justice Gordon Cuffy directly, cutting Moran out of negotiations.

Today, Mercado was promised a sentence between 18- and 25-years-to-life. The lower end of the sentence range will be determined by Cuffy at an official sentencing proceeding in the coming months.

Four others have already pleaded guilty to burglary for their roles in the incident. They were all supposed to testify against Smyre at trial.

But only three did: Cameron Webster, Jonathan Mejia and Quinton Gathings. The fourth, Tyrone Byrd, reneged on his promise to testify. That puts his 15-year plea deal in jeopardy. Prosecutor Moran suggested today that Byrd could go to trial after all.

Is it me, or do niggers have Asian/slanted eyes?

Back