66-year-old woman robbed, dragged by female attacker on NYC bus

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

66-year-old woman robbed, dragged by female attacker on NYC bus​

By
Snejana Farberov

April 10, 2023 10:18am
Updated

A 66-year-old woman riding an MTA bus in Staten Island was viciously attacked by a female robber who snatched her purse and dragged her across the floor, police say.
The NYPD on Monday released surveillance video and screenshots of the suspect wanted for the brazen April 3 bus crime.
According to the police, the victim was on board the S51 bus traveling east on Bay Street around 9:30 p.m. when she was approached by a woman she did not know.
The stranger suddenly grabbed the rider’s purse, which the victim refused to relinquish.
After dragging the victim across the floor of the moving bus to get her to let go of the bag, the robber then got off the bus with her loot in hand at Vanderbilt Avenue and Bay Street.
She was last seen fleeing on foot westbound on Bay Street.
Police said the victim’s bag contained cash, credit cards and other personal belongings.

Surveillance photos of Staten Island bus robber suspect Police are hunting for this woman, who is accused of violently snatching a purse from a 66-year-old female bus rider on Staten Island on April 3. DCPI Suspect was last seen wearing black clothes and gray UGG boots. The suspect allegedly dragged the victim across the bus floor before fleeing with her bag containing cash and credit cards. DCPI
The victim suffered swelling on her body requiring medical attention.

The NYPD described the robbery suspect as a woman with long, bright-orange hair, as seen in the video and still photos. She was last observed wearing a black jacket, black pants and gray UGG boots.

As of Monday, no arrests had been made.

Female purse-snatcher who dragged lady off NYC bus is busted: cops​

By
Amanda Woods

April 11, 2023 5:47pm
Updated

The woman who dragged a 66-year-old MTA bus passenger on the floor and out the front door of the vehicle in a ruthless purse mugging has been arrested, cops say.
Mahogany Coles, 27, was busted Monday, a week after she targeted the stranger on board the S51 bus traveling east on Bay Street around 9:30 p.m. April 3, authorities said.
Coles approached the older passenger before grabbing her purse – which the victim refused to hand over, cops said.
The suspect then allegedly dragged the victim across the floor of the moving bus to get her to hand over the bag, according to cops – and didn’t let go until she’d yanked her through the open front door and out onto the sidewalk, the victim told The Staten Island Advance.

Surveillance footage from the bus of the suspect, now ID'd as Mahogany Coles, with long bright-orange hair.Mahogany Coles, 27, was arrested in connection to the April 3 ruthless mugging on board a Staten Island bus.NYPD
The robber fled with the victim’s bag, which contained cash, credit cards and other personal belongings, cops said.

The victim suffered swelling on her body and sought medical attention on her own.

The woman, who declined to give her name, told the Advance that no one on the bus or the street did anything to help as the suspect took off with her Coach bag, the victim said.

“I was yelling and screaming at her, ‘Hey, this is my bag!’” she said. “But she was very strong and twisted the bag out of my hands.”

Surveillance footage from the bus of the suspect, now ID'd as Mahogany Coles, with long bright-orange hair. The victim’s Coach bag held cash, credit cards and other personal belongings.DCPI
“That bag was very sentimental to me,” the victim added to the outlet. “I also lost a pair of Michael Kors sunglasses and all of my credit cards. I feel so bad, I can’t even find the words to express my feelings.

“You are not free to walk outside and enjoy life,” the older woman said.

Coles is now charged with robbery and assault, authorities said.

Online records show that she was released on her own recognizance last month after an aggravated harassment arrest in Staten Island from Jan. 31.
A temporary order of protection was also issued in connection to that case.

Back