Selim Algar

May 25, 2022 3:52pm
Updated

Woman shoots, kills alleged intruder at her home

0:00
/
2:43

More On: florida

A 69-year-old Florida grandmother shot and killed a home intruder and later explained to reporters that she’s a “fighter.”
Virginia Morrison said she was relaxing in her Azalea Park home with her 80-year-old partner, Charlie, on Saturday when she heard the front door open, according to WESH 2 News.
Morrison told cops that 38-year-old Ezequiel Rosario-Torres walked inside her house without saying a word and his face was a “total blank.”
The startled homeowner said she quickly grabbed a broom handle and hit him twice in the face while yelling at Charlie to go grab his pistol.
00:00
1_th.jpg

The octogenarian grabbed his handgun and squeezed off a shot near the uninvited guest’s feet before calling 911, according to reports.

Rosario-Torres then retreated to the backyard, but refused to leave the property, Morrison said.

That’s when she decided to retrieve her own handgun from a cabinet near her bed.

Virginia MorrisonGrandma Virginia Morrison is no amateur when it comes to guns. FOX 35 / WOFL Ezequiel Rosario-TorresThe intruder is identified as Ezequiel Rosario-Torres.Orange County Corrections Department
“I’ve been shooting guns since I was 10 years old — I grew up on a dairy farm in Tennessee. We had to know how to shoot rattlesnakes,'” Morrison told the Orlando Sentinel. “I’ve never had to pull a gun on anybody.'”

Morrison said she went back outside and locked eyes with Rosario-Torres, who began advancing toward her.

“I went out the back door and I came to the fence and he sees me,” Morrison said. “He starts toward me. I fired a shot above him. ‘Back off, dude, I’ll shoot you.’ He just keeps coming toward me. So I shot him.”

Ezequiel Rosario-Torres and Grandma MorrisonMorrison said the intruder walked into her house without saying a word. FOX 35 / WOFL Virginia MorrisonMorrison held the intruder off by hitting him with a broom, until she was able to grab her gun. FOX 35 / WOFL
Responding cops found him on the ground in a pool of blood, and he was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.

“I didn’t know what he was going to do, but I knew I was going to protect myself. I’m a fighter. I’m going to defend myself,” Morrison told FOX 35.

Officials will probe the shooting, but no charges have been filed against Morrison.

The grandmother said there were other authorities that concerned her in the wake of shooting.

“That’s my main thing, wondering if God’s going to forgive me for taking a life. It bothers me,” she said.

Back