Accused Child Rapist Changes his Mind

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/031005_nw...ordattacks.html

Accused Child Rapist Changes his Mind
Guilty Plea Withdrawn

March 10, 2005 --There surprise reversal in a Philadelphia courtroom from an accused child rapist. Lamar Zamichielli withdrew his guilty plea in the sexual assault of 5 girls two years ago.

Lamar Zamichieli has withdrawn his guilty plea in the so-called Frankford Attacks. Zamichieli had agreed to a plea bargain.

Last July, he plead guilty to a total of 27 charges including rape, indecent assaults and making terroristic threats. But at his sentencing this morning, he changed his mind.

He pled guilty to sexually assaulting five girls. He pled no contest to sexually assaulting five boys, again, back in July. Prosecutors say he forced his young v

ictims into alleys and Logan, Frankford and other areas.
He allegedly told the children he was armed and then sexually assaulted them. Evidence links Zamichielli's D-N-A to one of the victims.

But in court he said, "I've been doing a lot of thinking. I feel as though if I didn't do anything wrong, I shouldn't plea." The prospect of having to call many of the young victims as witnesses during a trial, made even the prosecutor shed a tear.

A victim's mother spoke to Action News. She did not want to be identified.

"Are you angry right now?"

"Yes, I am. My son came here to close this chapter and it's not closed."

"It's ultimately his decision regardless. All I can do is advise him. I will advise him. He has to make that final choice."

The prospect of having to call many of the young victims as witnesses during a trial, made even the prosecutor shed a tear.

The judge has ordered a psychiatri
c ev
aluation of Zamichielli. She says she'll rule on whether she'll accept the plea withdrawal, at a later date.

(from the last name, a person might have thought he was Italian)

4274062_200X150.jpg

Lamar Zamichieli (pictured, above), 18, told the judge that after talking to his cellmates in jail, he has decided he isn't guilty and he wants to stand trial.

Suspect In Rapes Of 10 Children Changes Plea

The demon was awakened in Lamar Zamichieli at the tender age of 13.

Monster Taken Off City Streets

<

a href='http://kyw.com/Local%20News/local_story_085164524.html' target='_blank'>Suspected Child Rapist Arrested - Mar 28, 2003</a>

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/06152005_...ichieli%20.html

Sex Suspect's Switcheroo

PHILADELPHIA-June 15, 2005 --A man will go to trial in a series of alleged attacks on 10 children after being allowed to withdraw guilty and no-contest pleas, a judge ruled.

Lamar Zamichieli had pleaded guilty in July to sexually assaulting five girls and no contest to molesting five boys in 2003. The victims ranged in age from 10 to 15 and were allegedly grabbed and assaulted as they walked in the Frankford, Logan and West Kensington areas.

Zamichieli requested in March, as he was about to be sentenced, to withdraw the pleas. Common Pleas Judge Amanda Cooperman said Tuesday the law was clear that a defendant may withdraw pleas before sentencing, though she said, "I believe th

e defendant is trying to manipulate the system of just
ice here." Cooperman scheduled trial for July 11.

Assistant District Attorney Gina Smith told the judge the move traumatized the alleged victims. "They have all articulated, Judge, that they don't think they can go through this again," Smith said.

Zamachieli's attorney, Geoffrey Seay, said the children's reluctance to testify didn't outweigh his client's right to withdraw his pleas.

Back