The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Asian NYPD cop racially harassed in caught-on-video Times Square incident​

By
Craig McCarthy and
Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

March 30, 2023 5:22pm
Updated

Troubling video shows an Asian NYPD cop being peppered with racist taunts by a belligerent stranger while on the job in Times Square this week.
The cop, who has not been identified, can be seen repeatedly asking his tormentor to “move his hand” as the creep waves a finger in his face while unleashing a racist verbal attack, in the clip posted on Twitter Wednesday.
“Get back, Bruce Lee-looking man,” the man, who was also not identified, tells the officer.
“On King Day you’re acting like Bruce Lee, shorty.”
“Stop playing me, shorty before I do that to your ass,” the man says.
“You is you pushing? Stop pushing me. Stop pushing me. Stop pushing me before I smack your g–k ass.”
The beleaguered officer does not shove the man during the exchange but is seen pushing his hand away several times.
The NYPD did not respond to a request for information on the incident.

NYPD Asian cop harassed
A troubling Twitter video shows an Asian NYPD cop being racially harassed by an unhinged assailant in Times Square this week.Twitter / @AsianDawn4
NYPD Asian cop harassed
The cop asked his tormentor to “move his hand” as he waves a finger in his face while unleashing a racist verbal attack.Twitter / @AsianDawn4
Law enforcement sources said the officer was part of an anti-shoplifting detail in Times Square and that the encounter took place sometime during the week.

“This is the environment that anti-cop politicians and activists have created,” Police Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said in a statement on Thursday.

“They have emboldened racist hatred,” Lynch said.

“They have encouraged threats and abuse towards police officers. And they have made sure that police officers can’t do anything about it without jeopardizing their careers.”

NYPD Asian cop harassed
The man not identified said multiple insults to the NYPD cop constantly referring to him as “Bruce Lee.”Twitter / @AsianDawn4
Asian-Americans in the Big Apple have become the targets of racist attacks in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic — with cops not immune to the abuse.

In 2021, NYPD Detective Vincent Cheung, who is Asian, filed a lawsuit in Manhattan Supreme Court against a man who spewed racist taunts at him during a demonstration.

Cheung said Terrell Harper called him a “goddamn cat eater,” during the encounter and asked the cop, “you going to Judo chop me?”

NYPD PBA President Patrick Lynch.
NYPD PBA President Patrick Lynch said the recent verbal assault on an Asian cop in Times Square is part of the anti-cop culture in the Big Apple. Paul Martinka
Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Shlomo Hagler tossed the lawsuit last year, ruling that while the verbal assault was “obscene,” it was constitutionally protected free speech.

“We don’t get paid enough to put up with this kind of vile treatment,” Lynch said Thursday.

“And more and more cops are realizing that and taking their talents elsewhere.”

Back