Australian politician quits after "racist joke"

svejk

Founding member of Clark Kent Club
NSW politician quits after slur

A leading Australian politician has resigned after calling his opponent's Asian-born wife a "mail order bride".

John Brogden stepped down as leader of the Liberal Party in New South Wales state after insulting the wife of former state premier Bob Carr.

"I acted dishonourably and now is the time to act honourably," he said.

He admitted having had a few drinks to celebrate Mr Carr's recent departure as state leader before making th

e comments at a party thrown for the media.

But he denied being drunk at the Australian Hotels Association event three weeks ago, at which he also pinched the bottom of a female journalist and propositioned another.

John Brogden in hospital after suicide attempt

Just a day after stepping down from the New South Wales Liberal leadership in disgrace, John Brogden is in hospital this morning after an apparent suicide attempt overnight.

The 36-year-old was found sometime around 10.30pm alone and unconscious in his electorate office on Sydney's northern beaches after concerns for his welfare were raised with police.

His attempt on his life capped two days of public shaming for a night out drinking in which he propositioned a female journalist, made inappropriate gestures and referred to Helena Carr, wife of the former premier, as a mail-order bride.

Karen Barlow reports.

KAREN BARLOW: A concerned member of John Brogden's family called police just before half-past-ten last night. When officer

s entered the former Liberal leader's electorate office in the
northern suburb of Mona Vale, they found him lying unconscious on the floor in a backroom.

An ambulance was called, and Mr Brogden was taken to Sydney's Royal North Shore hospital. The hospital has not publicly commented on his condition, but it's believed he has minor injuries and is being kept under observation.

Last night, John Brogden's wife Lucy was by his bedside. Several Liberal colleagues also visited the hospital.

Peter Debnam spoke to the media outside the hospital.

PETER DEBNAM: I think everybody is just trying to come to grips with the earthquakes that we've had in the last 48 hours and everybody's just praying John is out of there tomorrow.

REPORTER: It's got to be a pretty devastating shock, Peter, this?

PETER DEBNAM: Look, I think it is. I mean everybody has been devastated this week, but tonight, everybody's just praying that John will be okay and out of
the
hospital.

KAREN BARLOW: The upheavals in the state Liberal Party began on Sunday when a report surface
d of John Brodgen's behaviour at function organised by the Australian Hotels Association.

He pinched a female reporter on the bottom, and raised eyebrows when he referred to the Malaysian-born wife of former New South Wales Premier Bob Carr as a "mail order bride." He is also said to have asked another female journalist if she was "available".

After initially trying to deflect the scandal, Mr Brogden admitted his behaviour at the function was unacceptable.

JOHN BROGDEN: I want to make very clear that I apologise absolutely for my behaviour. It was inappropriate and unacceptable. The behaviour I exhibited at this function was something I'm not proud of and I particularly want to extend an apology to Helena Carr and to Bob Carr. The comments I made were offensive and they were distasteful.

KAREN BARLOW: On Monday he stood down as State Lib
eral le
ader but said he would continue to serve as a backbencher.

Peter Debnam says John Brogden has been deeply affected by the events of the past
few days.

PETER DEBNAM: We knew the events of this week had rocked him to the core. There's no doubt about that. But we were certainly all shocked tonight to get the calls.

KAREN BARLOW: Mr Brogden's admission to hospital last night came as a Sydney newspaper prepared to publish more allegations about inappropriate behaviour by the former Liberal leader towards a number of female members of his staff and journalists.

New South Wales Labor Premier Morris Iemma says he's deeply concerned about the welfare of John Brogden and his family. Mr Iemma says the past two days have clearly been an extremely difficult time and he wishes Mr Brodgen a full and speedy recovery.

It's believed John Brodgen will be released from hospital later today.

Back