BLACK: 2 dead, 1 arrested after shooting near Power Road and Main Street in Mesa

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

2 dead, 1 arrested after shooting near Power Road and Main Street in Mesa​

Argument turns to fatal shooting of husband and wife.

Mesa police say one person is dead and two others are injured after a shooting late Tuesday night.

poster_5df312559c7346e79726685efc708763.jpg

Power and Main GSW

By: abc15.com staff

Posted at 4:46 AM, Nov 02, 2022

and last updated 1:25 PM, Nov 10, 2022

MESA, AZ — Police have made an arrest after a shooting left a husband and wife dead in Mesa.
Just before midnight on November 1, Mesa police officers were called to an apartment building for reports of a shooting near Power Road and Main Street.
Initially, police described it as an “extremely chaotic scene” with differing information from witnesses.

When officers arrived they located two victims with gunshot wounds underneath a staircase outside an apartment unit.
A man, identified as Ronnie Lazalde, was pronounced dead at the scene, and his wife, Natishia Lazalde, was taken to a hospital where she died, according to Mesa PD.

During an investigation, detectives learned suspect, Johnel Trinidad, and Natishia were inside an apartment unit when Natishia's son arrived. The son and Trinidad got into a verbal argument and all three stepped outside, where Ronnie (Natishia's husband) joined them.
At some point, police say Trinidad pulled out a weapon and fired at Ronnie and the son. Then, the son pulled out his own gun and fired back at Trinidad as he was running away.
Trinidad was taken to a hospital for a gunshot wound to the leg. He was treated and released into police custody.
Following the investigation, detectives found probable cause to charge Trinidad with two counts of manslaughter for the deaths of Ronnie and Natishia, Mesa police announced.
It's unclear if the son is facing any charges. His age was not released.
ABC15 spoke with neighbors who were there when it happened.
"I just heard a lot of gunshots right next to my window," said Cynthia Forker, a resident at the complex.
Forker says she witnessed the chaos to follow up close.
"I walked out my door, I could see the gun smoke," she said.

Mesa police arrest suspect after husband and wife killed in shootout​

Nov 10, 2022, 2:05 PM

Johnel Trinidad (Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Photo)...

Johnel Trinidad (Maricopa County Sheriff's Office Photo)

BY KTAR.COM

PHOENIX – A suspect was arrested in connection with last week’s shootout at a Mesa apartment complex that left a husband and wife dead, authorities said Thursday.
Johnel Trinidad, 44, allegedly killed the couple while exchanging gunfire with the wife’s son near Main Street and Power Road on Nov. 1, the Mesa Police Department said in a press release.
Police responded to the scene around 11:15 p.m. after receiving calls about shots fired and found 48-year-old Ronnie Lazalde and 41-year-old Natishia Lazalde under a stairwell with gunshot wounds.

Ronnie Lazalde was pronounced dead at the scene. Natishia Lazalde died after being taken to a hospital.
RELATED STORIES
Investigators determined that Trinidad and Natishia Lazalde were in an apartment when her son arrived. The son and Trinidad got into a verbal altercation. When they moved outside, Ronnie Lazalde joined the argument.
Police said Trinidad then pulled out a gun and fired at the son and Ronnie Lazalde. The son fired back and hit Trinidad in the leg as he ran off.
According to court documents, police found multiple shell casings at the scene and bullet strikes on buildings. Preliminary crime lab findings indicated the bullets that killed the Lazaldes came from the same Glock handgun.
Trinidad was hospitalized until being released into police custody. He was booked into jail Tuesday on the two manslaughter counts and one count of prohibited weapons possession.

Back