BLACK Person of interest named in I-680 shooting; in custody after chase; arrested on a charge of fleeing and eluding, a felony.

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter
WKBN Media reported the wrong name, last name is JACKSON, not Johnson.

Person of interest named in I-680 shooting; in custody after chase​

by: Noelle Haynes, Jennifer Rodriguez, Megan Lee

Posted: Feb 19, 2023 / 05:34 AM EST

Updated: Feb 19, 2023 / 07:56 PM EST

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Police have a person of interest in custody after a lengthy police chase Sunday afternoon, according to Captain Jason Simon from the Youngstown Police Department.
The person of interest, who has been identified as Jaylen Johnson, may be involved in the targeted shooting on a major interstate that put a man in critical condition Sunday morning.
What was that ‘loud boom’ heard by hundreds across the Valley?
Simon says Johnson has not been charged for the shooting last night but has been arrested on a charge of fleeing and eluding, a felony.
The chase started on the West Side in Youngstown and went through all sides of the city and into Liberty and Hubbard. Police finally caught up with the person of interest at the McCartney Road and Oak Street extension intersection.
The man was driving a white Jeep during the chase, which officers were seen searching after catching him, according to a First News reporter on scene..
A dozen police cars from Campbell Police and YPD were on scene.
Earlier Sunday, police were dispatched around 2:45 a.m. to I-680 southbound near the Glenwood Avenue exit in Youngstown for an SUV that had been shot, according to a press release.
A press release from YPD says police found bullet holes and blood in and around the vehicle when they arrived.
Around the same time, YPD was alerted a 21-year-old man with multiple gunshot wounds had arrived at Mercy Health hospital.
The victim is in critical condition.
Detectives are still investigating.
Police believe the shooting is targeted and there is no danger to the public. If you have any information, you can call Crime Stoppers at 330-746-CLUE or 330-746-8YPD.
This is the second Youngstown shooting on I-680 in 2023, the first I-680 shooting killed two 19-year-olds near the Salt Springs exit.

Last edited:
Jaylen Johnson,

One in critical condition after I-680 shooting​

News
Feb 20, 2023

Staff report​

YOUNGSTOWN — A man, 21, is in critical condition at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital after being shot on Interstate 680 southbound just before the Glenwood Avenue exit about 3 a.m. Sunday.

Later in the day, police arrested a “person of interest” in the case, who was taken into custody after a police chase through all sides of the city, as well as Liberty and Hubbard. Youngstown police Capt. Jason Simon said the man, Jaylen Johnson, has not been charged in the shooting, but charges have been filed lated to the chase.
Simon said the chase started on the city’s West Side and the man was taken into custody at the intersection of McCartney Road and Oak Street extension, near the Campbell border. Youngstown and Campbell police searched the man’s SUV afterward.
Youngstown police officers were alerted to a vehicle that had been shot on the interstate. When they arrived, they found a GMC sport utility vehicle with multiple bullet holes as well as blood in and around the vehicle.
Officers then learned that an individual had arrived at the hospital with gunshot wounds, according to a Youngstown Police news release. The Youngstown police crime scene unit and detectives were called out to investigate.

The police department asks that anyone with information call Crime Stoppers at 330-746-CLUE or the Youngstown Police Department at 330-746-8YPD with information or tips, which can be left anonymously. Tips leading to an arrest and/or prosecution are eligible for a monetary reward.
Simon said he expects to provide an update on the case this morning.

This is the second shooting on Interstate 680 this year. On Jan. 5, Marquis Whitted and Kylearia Day, both 19, were found shot inside a car near the Salt Springs Road exit. The 911 call originally came in as a crash, but when police arrived, they discovered the Nissan Altima riddled with bullets.
Whitted died at the scene and Day died a short time later at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital. They were the first two homicides of the year in the city.

Jaylen Johnson,
is Jaylen Jackson.

Are there new Name Games in media?

I-680 shooting leads to police chase, arrest​

Detectives say that after questioning Jackson about the shooting, he was booked into the county jail on a charge of failing to comply with a police order..

Monday, February 20th 2023, 10:10 AM EST

By Lee Biermeyer

By Mike Gauntner

24146130_G.jpeg

Jaylen Jackson
Detectives say more charges could be filed against a man arrested in connection with a shooting along Interstate 680 over the weekend.

Police say a 21-year-old man was shot shortly before 3 a.m. Sunday along the southbound lanes of I-680 near the Glenwood/Mahoning Avenue interchange.

Before officers could arrive, they say the victim was dropped off at Mercy Hospital in a Jeep Cherokee driven by 18-year-old Jaylen Jackson who was accompanied by a male juvenile.

The Jeep left the hospital, only to be spotted later in the day by police along Oregon Street on the city’s West Side.

According to police, the Jeep drove off, leading officers on a 21-minute chase that ended with Jackson’s arrest at McCartney Road and Oak Street.

Detectives say that after questioning Jackson about the shooting, he was booked into the county jail on a charge of failing to comply with a police order.

The victim was last listed in critical condition.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 330-746-CLUE or 330-746-8YPD. Tips can be left anonymously.

Back