BLACK School murderer: Christopher Darnell Jones of Richmond identified as University of Virginia shooting suspect

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Christopher Darnell Jones of Richmond identified as University of Virginia shooting suspect​

This is continuing coverage of a shooting at the University of Virginia. Read more here.
Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., the man identified by authorities as a suspect in a University of Virginia shooting that left three people dead and two injured, grew up in Richmond and got in fights in school after his father left, according to a 2018 Richmond Times-Dispatch article. As of Monday morning, he was still at large.

63724cb42d7eb.image.png

The school's emergency management department described him as a Black male, wearing a burgundy jacket, blue jeans and red shoes. Police said he might be driving a black sports utility vehicle with Virginia plates TWX-3580. He was described as armed and dangerous, and the UVA community was directed to shelter in place.
According to the UVa athletic department website, Jones played football for the school in 2018 but didn't appear in any games.
He grew up in the Essex Village and Mosby Court housing complexes in Richmond, according to a 2018 Richmond Times-Dispatch story. He was smart and quiet, a relative said.
“When I come into the classrooms, everything flowed,” Jones said at the time.

uva darnell jones.JPG
UVA POLICE
According to the story, Jones’ father left the family when he was little, and Jones got in fights at school, leading to suspensions. He played football at Varina and Petersburg High Schools and graduated from Petersburg in 2018.
He was a good student, and at the end of his senior year at Petersburg, he won a $2,500 scholarship from Richmond Sports Backers for his athletic and academic accomplishments. The school chose him as its top male student-athlete for annual scholarship program run by Sports Backers and the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

According to the school's nomination blurb, Jones was the football team's MVP, captain of the track team, a member of the National Honor Society, a member of student council and president of the Key club.

He graduated with a 4.2 GPA, fifth in his class at Petersburg. When he graduated, he was interested in pursuing a degree in political science or business administration.

University Of Virginia Shooting Suspect Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. Arrested​

Ryan Grenoble - 53m ago

Police in Charlottesville, Virginia, have detained Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., the suspect in a shooting near a University of Virginia parking garage on Sunday that killed three people and wounded two others.
Jones fled the scene following the shooting, and the university issued orders for students to shelter in place Sunday evening. As he was giving a press conference Monday, UVA Police Chief Tim Longo was told that Jones had been detained.
Jones faces three counts of second-degree murder and three felony weapons charges.
This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

Has previous gun concealed violation, court disposition unknown, he never reported that to the University. He was under investigation by the Threat Assessment Team, someone alerted the team.
Sheriff Press Release video youtube Fox News
University of Virginia authorities hold a press conference with law enforcement after three students were killed and two were injured in a shooting on campus. During the briefing, police learned suspect Christopher Darnell Jones, Jr. was in custody in connection with the shooting. #FoxNews
Victims
Devin Chandler
Lavelle Davis
Deshawn Perry

Last edited:
Paywall, I know how to get past paywalls.

Just In​

Petersburg High graduate navigated a fractured path to graduation​

• By VANESSA REMMERS Richmond Times-Dispatch
  • Jun 8, 2018

By VANESSA REMMERS Richmond Times-Dispatch
They wanted to know why he looked so upset.
On Friday, the Petersburg High School graduates were rehearsing the steps they would take the next day as they received their diplomas. Tests were complete, classes were done, and Chris Jones was the only one among them who would attend the University of Virginia in the fall.
So they wanted to know: Why wasn’t he smiling?
Jones didn’t reply, and a quick answer might be too easy. For the 18-year-old, Saturday’s graduation marks a milestone in a long journey — one of a fractured family, school fighting and suspensions, and one that began in Richmond, in two-bedroom apartments in the Essex Village and Mosby Court housing complexes.

Living there with his parents and three younger siblings, he learned that the safest place to play was inside. He and his siblings used their imaginations to turn the rim of the couches into the ropes of a wrestling ring, and he could fly in from the side and land on the floor below.

But much of the time, he was the quiet one.
“I lift him up more in prayer because I can see the hand of God on him,” said his “Grannie,” Mary Jones. “He was quiet. Even in school, quiet. His sisters and his brothers would tease. But he was smart. He’s destined for more.”
Staying silent was also a way of staying strong, he said. He was 5 when his parents divorced. He wouldn’t see his father again until he was a teenager.

“I could see the things between my mother and my father,” Jones said.
“I knew how I could conduct myself in a matter to have a leadership demeanor. Even though my brothers and sisters didn’t understand, we still had to be strong,” he said Friday from his grandmother’s living room.
“My dad and me were really close. It just hurt me when he had to leave,” he said. “That was one of the most traumatic things that happened to me in my life. I didn’t understand why he left. When I went to school, people didn’t understand me.”

So he remained reserved, yet he found spaces to be more free outside the four walls where he lived. In the classroom, there was a routine — and subjects he would easily get A’s in.

“When I come into the classrooms, everything flowed,” Jones said. “You knew what you were walking into every day.”
But much of the time, he said, the other kids didn’t expect a kid from the projects to raise his hand in class.
“I would get upset because my intelligence was being insulted. Kids would pick on me — ‘Why did you do that? Why did you answer that question?’ ” Jones said. “And in that world, disrespect means you should fight.”
The fights were also an escape. With the punches went the stress and sadness of not seeing his father. With them also went the weight of figuring out what to feed his siblings that night. His mother worked graveyard shifts, so he often would walk to the nearby grocery store and pick up a pack of Ramen noodles or bologna. On special nights, it was a box of Church’s Chicken.

“People would say, ‘You’re too smart to be doing something like that,’ ” he said of fighting. “But it’s because of where I was at. Sometimes I’m not in a good head space. Fighting at first was my only way of relieving stress.”
He eventually started welcoming the suspensions and the punishment of alternative school. Alternative school meant more solitude, where he could maintain straight A’s without the bullying. His mother didn’t understand that, he said, and saw him as a troublemaker.
But Jones still felt he had an ally in his father’s sister, “Auntie” Sandra Jones. She encouraged him to keep up his good grades.

Looking Friday at a photo of a young “Auntie” in her wedding dress, Jones covered his eyes and started to cry.
“I haven’t seen her in so long,” he said. She died unexpectedly when he was 10.
“I think that’s a big thing that keeps me going, her memory. And what she wanted for me,” Jones said.
The year after her death, when he was in the sixth grade, the family moved to Varina. He eventually attended a specialty school for communications and continued to get straight A’s.
There, more mentors emerged. Coaches took him to restaurants and bought him clothes when they noticed he wore the same outfit multiple days. They became like second fathers. So much of his emotion would go into football games that he would cry if his team lost.
But his relationship with his mother deteriorated. There was miscommunication, he said, because she felt he wasn’t keeping up with the house and was too rough on his siblings during the wrestling matches.
Jones moved to Petersburg in the summer of 2016 to be with his grandmother, in need of a “new start,” he said. And it was good timing for her, he said, since his grandfather had left and she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. His siblings continued to live with his mom.
Over the next two years, mentors helped him let go of his anger.
“I think he had more anger when I first met him,” said one mentor, Xavier Richardson. They met when Jones was in 11th grade.
“He always had strong goals. He was ambitious, but his anger simply got in the way,” Richardson said.
Through daily phone calls where he let Jones vent and told him of his own struggles with his alcoholic father, Richardson helped Jones understand that he can say he’s a self-made man — that he can let go of the things he can’t control.
“Many people, particularly some of the people he will be going to college with, come from a place of privilege. But I try to help him understand that he has been able to succeed despite his obstacles, and he can thrive from them,” Richardson said.
He plans to give Jones rides and any help he can while Jones is at U.Va. He helped him navigate much of his financial aid package after taking Jones on multiple college tours.
“If it wasn’t for these people in my life, I would’ve been just another kid whose dad left him,” Jones said.
From his grandmother’s living room Friday, he lowered his eyes and shook his head as “Grannie” talked of his National Technical Honor Society award and Richmond Times-Dispatch Sports Backers Scholar-Athlete award, which she has framed on the end tables. The other tables are filled with his other accolades and pictures of Jones and his siblings.
On Friday night, he planned to take his maroon graduation robe off the hanger and press it the way Richardson showed him. Jones wants to help future Petersburg graduates in any way he can, and he has already talked to an association of superintendents about how teachers can communicate effectively with students.
He didn’t have much to say to his peers Friday when they asked him why he was upset. Jones was in fact happy — but he was also caught up in the memories of the journey that brought him to this point. It prompted him to share a message for future students:
“Don’t let your surroundings, anyone or any person, determine who you are going to be. You’re great. You’re beautiful. You’re amazing. You’re going to do great things in life. Don’t let anybody tell you any different.”
On Saturday, he will walk down the aisle and receive his diploma. Richardson made sure that he and Jones’ “Grannie” got good seats.
“We will probably be the proudest two people in the audience — for all that he has achieved in his life, despite what he has gone through,” Richardson said. “He is a beautiful person.” vremmers@timesdispatch.com

(804) 649-6243

Attachments

• 1668447508058.png
    1668447508058.png
    75 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1668447508248.png
    1668447508248.png
  • 1668447508430.png
    1668447508430.png

Accused UVA gunman Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. was on police’s radar since September​

By
Ben Kesslen

November 14, 2022 12:33pm
Updated

The University of Virginia student who allegedly killed three members of the football team had been on the police’s radar since September and had a prior criminal incident involving a concealed weapon, officials revealed at a press conference Monday.

Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. was arrested after a 12-hour manhunt following the shootings at the school’s Charlottesville campus on Sunday night.

“Because I want to be transparent with you, I want you to know [that] … Mr. Jones came to the attention of the University of Virginia’s threat assessment team in the fall of 2022,” said the school’s chief of police, Tim Longo.

“They received information that Mr. Jones had made a comment about possessing a gun to a person that was unaffiliated with the university,” he said.

Longo said police believe the person who reported him never saw a gun, and had noted that the comment wasn’t made as a threat. The school also followed up with Jones’ roommates, who told them they had not seen him with a weapon.

Photo of Christopher Darnell Jones Jr.

Christopher Darnell Jones Jr.AP

Jones had been on the threat assessment team’s radar earlier because of a hazing investigation that was eventually closed after witnesses would not cooperate. Police did not provide more details about the incident.

Notably, Longo said that while investigating the hazing incident, the school “learned about prior criminal incident involving a concealed weapon violation that occurred outside the city of Charlottesville in February of 2021.

“He’s required as a student at University of Virginia to report that and he never did, so the University has taken appropriate administrative charges through the University’s judiciary council and that matter is still pending adjudication,” the chief said without providing details.

“I’ll try to do better next time,” a mournful Longo said at the presser.

Jones has been slapped with three charges of second-degree murder for killing Devin Chandler of Virginia Beach, Lavel “Tyler” Davis of Dorchester, South Carolina, and D’Sean Perry of Miami, Florida. Two of the students were found dead on the bus and one was declared deceased at a hospital. The names of the two other students injured in the shooting have not been released.

The school’s shelter-in-place mandate was lifted Monday morning and Jones was taken into custody.

Back