Delaware white woman shares story of survival after Dominican Republic vacation attack

voiceofreason

Senior News Editor since 2011
https://6abc.com/woman-shares-story-of-survival-after-dominican-republic-attack/5323526/

Delaware woman shares story of survival after Dominican Republic vacation attack

Friday, May 31, 2019 2:01AM
WILMINGTON, Del. -- A Delaware woman is sharing her agonizing story of a vacation attack.

Tammy Lawrence-Daley says she was brutally attacked at the Majestic Elegance all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana in January.

She went to get a snack at the bustling resort when she heard footsteps.

"He just plowed into my back and I remember the grunt:rolleyes: he made when he hit me. It's in my nightmares," she says.

The attacker pummeled the mother of two for hours.

She could feel the bones in her face cave, her teeth break.

"He at that point began choking me strangling me," said Lawrence-Daley.

The mother of two went in and out of consciousness.

She says the assailant then dragged her limp body into a dark crawl space inside the five-star resort.

It was pitch black.

"All I could think of is my husband is going to find me dead with my head bashed in," she said.

Lawrence-Daley suffered a broken orbital, broken hand, nerve damage and other injuries. She has had a half dozen surgeries and procedures since the attack.
It was the second night of the trip when she was beaten.

She believes the attacker was ready to pounce. She says she fought with all her might to stay alive.

"He used something to wrap around my throat to basically strangle me again and at that point I knew I was dead," says Lawrence-Daley.

But she had the will to live.

The family says after an exhaustive search spearheaded by her husband and friends, not the resort, Lawrence-Daley was found. Her husband, Chris Daley, feels guilty he didn't go with her to get the snack, but the resort was busy with other travelers. He choked up when recounting finding his wife after an exhaustive search.

"This was the hardest part, seeing her from the back, it didn't look like her, until Diane said those are her shoes," said Chris.

Lawrence-Daley says, "One of the maids walked up and put a robe around me and I'll never forget, it translated you're safe, you're safe."

The family says the Dominican police investigation was inadequate at best. She recalls her attacker wearing a Majestic Elegance uniform, but she never saw his face and no suspect has been identified.

RELATED: Read Tammy Lawrence-Daley's Facebook Post

She's warning others who travel to lavish resorts.

"It's not safe. Not safe for women to walk alone, walk with somebody else," said Lawrence-Daley.

Action News tried to get comment from the Majestic Elegance and local police but have been unsuccessful.

https://www.facebook.com/tammy.lawrencedaley/posts/10219329938422928

Tammy Lawrence-Daley is with Diane Banecker Doering.
May 29 at 10:04 AM ·

My story...please no negative comments, this is my truth as I lived it.

61609186_10219329813979817_2147714326398500864_n.jpg

61337174_10219329816339876_8769105646743191552_n.jpg

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/new...ware-Woman-Allegations-Beating-540421491.html

Dominican Republic Resort Where Delaware Woman Says She Was Brutally Beaten Temporarily Closes
A spokesperson with Majestic Resorts confirmed with NBC10 Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana is closing on August 15 and plans to reopen on November 7
By David Chang and Rudy Chinchilla
Published Aug 13, 2019 at 5:38 PM | Updated 3 hours ago

The Dominican Republic resort where a Delaware woman says she was brutally beaten has closed temporarily.

A spokesperson with Majestic Resorts confirmed with NBC10 that the Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana is closing on August 15 and plans to reopen on November 7.

A report from Delaware Online, citing a letter apparently sent to travel agencies, stated the resort was closing due to low occupancy. The spokesperson did not confirm this with NBC10, however, and instead stated the resort planned on addressing recent "concerns" though he would not specify what those concerns are.

In May, Tammy Lawrence-Daley, 51, posted on Facebook that she was viciously attacked in January while at the Majestic Elegance resort in Punta Cana. She described being dragged into a maintenance closet by someone wearing a resort uniform, beaten, assaulted, choked and left for dead in a drainage area for eight hours. She said she was then found by the resort’s maintenance staff the next day.

Lawrence-Daley also posted a photo showing herself with severe swelling and bruising on her face, two black eyes nearly swollen shut, cuts to her lips and cheek and a gauze taped to her face.

Lawrence-Daley and her husband, Christopher Daley, accused Dominican authorities of bungling the investigation, going so far as to question the results of a rape kit by saying it was inadequately performed two days after the attack and that it consisted only of an external swab. Lawrence-Daley said she lost consciousness during the attack and does not know whether or not she was sexually assaulted.

In July, Lawrence-Daley announced she filed a lawsuit against the resort, seeking $3 million for justice, accountability and compensation for her “permanent, life-changing injuries.”

After Lawrence-Daley’s allegations, Majestic Elegance maintained that it had “no opinion on the hypothesis of some authorities involved in the investigation," but it also put out a statement that seemingly minimized the extent of Lawrence-Daley's injuries and said the couple went public only after they were denied $2.2 million in compensation. Majestic Elegance said Lawrence-Daley had "bruises on her face and had a broken fingernail..."

The Dominican Republic's Office of the Attorney General said its investigation was hampered by "incongruent" statements on the part of Daley - a claim Daley described as "crazy" - and by the couple's refusal, in the presence of a U.S. Embassy official, to formally press charges.

Lawrence-Daley's claim that the resort refused to at least reimburse her for her stay and medical bills has also been in contention. Majestic Elegance said it both paid for her hospital stay and provided a "complementary extension" at the resort.

The competing narratives have caused some to question Lawrence-Daley's story, with Majestic Elegance criticizing American media outlets and saying that they "have reported on the story considering her accounts as true and definitive, without listening to the authorities' version, or waiting for a final resolution on the case."

Asked directly if the attack was an elaborate scam by Lawrence-Daley and her husband, a member of their legal team replied with an “Absolutely not.” The legal team also called the resort’s handling of the investigation a “disaster.”

No arrests have been made in connection to the incident.

The alleged attack was one of several recent incidents that brought negative publicity to the Dominican Republic. Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz was shot in the back in Santo Domingo in May while at least eight Americans have died in the Dominican Republic this year.

WOMANATTACKEDINDOMINICANREPUBLICPICSONBLURREDBGPT2_4587556.JPG

Tammy Lawrence-Daley.

Why would any decent white want to go to a nigger-run country? This is beyond me! I certainly would not do such a foolish thing.

Back