The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Disabled LI student suing ‘above the law’ teacher over alleged racist remarks​

By
Kevin Sheehan and
Ronny Reyes

March 16, 2023 4:58pm
Updated

A disabled Long Island high school student is suing the Middle Country Central School District for allegedly doing nothing about a teacher it had investigated for spewing racist insults and bullying the teen.
Isabella Rexach-Moore, 18, who attends Centereach High School, alleges math teacher Jennifer Brunet targeted her because of her race and the clothes she wore — calling her a “slut” and complaining about “black kids always being absent.”
The teen — who gets special education accommodations because of anxiety, depression and bipolar issues — alleges Brunet repeatedly bullied her last year, which was detailed in an internal probe the district did after interviewing several classmates, according to the suit.
“It made me feel little,” Isabella told The Post Thursday.
“I felt like everyone’s eyes were on me because this wasn’t happening to anyone else.”
Despite the district’s probe, Isabella’s suit alleges officials failed to act on their findings, with Brunet allegedly calling out the student behind her back.

Isabella Rexach-Moore, Vess MitevIsabella Rexach-Moore, 18, has filed a lawsuit against teacher Jennifer Brunet for allegedly making racist comments.Gabriella Bass
“I guess if you dress like a slut and I call you out for being a slut, that makes me a racist,” Brunet told the class, according to the district’s investigation, the complaint stated.

The teen’s suit alleges Brunet openly began making racist remarks last September when taking attendance.

“I can’t deal with these black kids always being absent,” Brunet allegedly said, a troubling accusation confirmed by several students and the district, according to the district’s own investigation, the suit claims.

Isabella said she was shocked by the comment, which she asserts was clearly targeted at her since she was the only black student who had absences at the time due to her condition.

Isabella also said she confronted Brunet about the remark, but the teacher allegedly told her “there would be no repercussions stemming from her comments.”

The teen also alleges that on Oct. 26, Brunet singled her out for wearing a shirt with an exposed midriff, allegedly telling her “I was going to wear that same outfit, but I couldn’t because I would be violating the dress code too.”

Isabella said others schoolgirls wore a similar shirt, and a school official had deemed the teen’s attire as “not inappropriate and that it in fact did not violate the Student Dress Code,” the suit states.

Brunet allegedly told Isabella afterward: “I guess I was wrong so you could keep walking around with your midriff out.”

In a statement, the Middle Country Central School District said it was aware of the allegations in the complaint — and asserted “when these allegations were first brought to the attention of the district a [Dignity for All Students Act] investigation was immediately opened” and that “based on the results of the district’s investigation, appropriate action was taken.”

Isabella Rexach-MooreRexach-Moore claims her teacher targeted her because of her race and the clothes she wore — calling her a “slut” and complaining about “black kids always being absent.” Tik Tok/ @lilpapii_b
Brunet did not respond to The Post’s request for comment.

Isabella’s mother, Kimberly Moore, said she was outraged by Brunet “sexualizing” her daughter, saying the comments were “unacceptable.”

“Her senior year is supposed to be the best year of her life… instead she’s being victimized by a teacher,” Moore said.

Isabella said Brunet’s alleged bullying only heightened her anxiety — and that on Oct. 31, she had to ask another teacher for permission to go outside and call her mom so she could collect herself.

During that incident, students said Brunet allegedly told the class: “She must be famous or something since she can always show up late, take phone calls whenever she pleases, and always has a lot going on.”

Because Brunet is still employed, Isabella’s complaint states the teacher “falsely believes she is beyond and above the law.”

Isabella’s lawyer, Vess Mitev, said they’re asking Brunet to be fired and seeking millions in damages.

“We’re going to be asking for millions of dollars because that’s what it’s going to take in order to make sure no one’s rights are trampled like they were in this case,” Mitev said.

“There’s no room for vile racism like this in our school halls.”

Isabella said she wants accountability for what happened to her so she can move on and focus on her studies.

She plans to study marine biology at Suffolk County Community College.

“I was shocked and upset” the school didn’t fire the teacher, she said.

“That’s not the appropriate response to having a teacher who’s racist.”

Back