Excellent article on negro neighborhood

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
Life in the murder zone

An area with one-10th of the city's population has one-third of its murders, and hope is nearly lost

By DANA TREEN
The Times-Union
Bullets killed one of Sandra Davis' nephews, a cousin and the godfather of her youngest daughter last year.

In April, nephew John Williams and godfather Donnell Britton were murdered by a drive-by shooter during a dice game. In December, cousin Terrance Snead was killed in a robbery. It was 11 days before Christmas. They all died in the family's neighborhood.

"It's something you ca
't prepare yourself for," Davis said of the carnage to her family. "You don't sit and think about the negative things a person has done. You think about the good things."

Willi

ams
#39; mother, Pamela Davis, has stopped driving her red Civic because it might be connected
to her son.

"I always felt somebody would come up beside me and shoot whoever was in that car," she said. "I feel fear living here, this day, living right here." ... Long article chock full of TNB, photos, and statistics such as this one:

'Murder Zone' a poor neighborhood
Residents of the 30-square-mile area of Jacksonville that had 32 murders last year are poorer and less educated than the rest of Duval County, according to the U.S. Census:

Category Target area Duval County
People with jobs* 49 percent 64 percent
People with college degrees** 14 percent 29 percent
Under age 18 30 percent 26 percent
Age 65 and older 14 percent 10 percent
H
ouseholds with married couples 31 percent 48 percent
**Age 25 and older. *Age 16 and older.
Racial breakdown
Race Target area Duval County
White 10 percent 66 percent
Black 89 p
erce
nt 28 perce
nt
Multiracial 1 percent 2 percent
All others Less than 1/2 percent 4 percent
Compiled by Steve Patterson/The Times-Union

[
b]*****************
Complaining about negritude is like complaining about the weather, everybody talks about it, but nobody ever does anything about it.[/b]

T.N.B.

It appears that the negritude that area is so bad that even spix refuse to live there.

Back