Fat mud shark breeder who plunged to death from Times Square hotel after alleged beating by boyfriend was an aspiring model: sources

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Woman who plunged to death from Times Square hotel after alleged beating by boyfriend was an aspiring model: sources​

By
Joe Marino and
Emily Crane

May 3, 2023 4:23pm
Updated

The young mom who jumped to her death from the top of a Times Square hotel after allegedly getting into a heated fight with her boyfriend was an aspiring actress and model from Colorado, The Post has learned.
Dezirae Andersen, 20, was found dead after plunging from the roof of the OYO Times Square hotel on West 47th Street around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, authorities and police sources said.
The woman, of Littleton, Co., had been staying at the hotel with her 24-year-old boyfriend Tyler Griffen and their 8-month-old daughter, according to cops and sources.
Just hours before her tragic death, Andersen had posted a video soaking in the sights of Times Square on her Facebook story.
According to social media and online profiles, the young woman had been trying to make it the acting and modeling worlds.
“I am looking to get started in this business as an actress, model, or even open to commercials and voice overs,” she wrote in a post on Backstage.com — a job-seeking platform for performers.
“I would love to be given a chance and prove myself! I am a hard worker and a perfectionist! I am outgoing and happy!”

Dezirae Andersen
The woman jumped from the roof of the OYO Times Square hotel on West 47th Street Tuesday night has been identified as 20-year-old Dezirae Andersen, sources said. Instagram/Dezirae Andersen
Her Facebook is filled with selfies and photos from her modeling shoots — as well as images of her baby girl and boyfriend.

Loved ones flooded her Facebook with tributes in the wake of her shock death Wednesday, describing her as a “great mama” and “beautiful soul.”

“Bro my heart hurts so much. I loved you so much, I’ll make sure your name lives on and your baby is taken care of. You were turning 21 this month and we had so many plans to travel. You were my sister. I can’t believe you’re gone,” one mourner wrote.

Dezirae Andersen
Andersen was an aspiring model and actress, according to her online profiles. Facebook/Dezirae Andersen
Dezirae Andersen with her baby
The young mom’s social media pages are filled with modeling shots, selfies and photos with her baby girl. Facebook/Dezirae Andersen
“My heart hurts in disbelief got me ballin my eyes out!! You were such a young beautiful soul & a great mama You didn’t deserve this at all mann !! imma miss youu girlie fly high beautiful,” another friend wrote.

In the lead up to the fatal plunge, police sources said Andersen and her boyfriend had gotten into a brawl in their 10th floor hotel room.

Griffen allegedly punched Andersen repeatedly before their fight spilled out into the hallway. The dad then allegedly yanked the baby’s arm forcefully, sources said, causing the child to fall down a flight of stairs.

The OYO hotel in Times Square
The young woman was found dead after plunging from the roof of the OYO Times Square hotel on West 47th Street around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.Robert Mecea
Police believe Andersen then made her way to the roof of the hotel before jumping, cops and sources said.

Griffen, who was acting erratically in the hotel lobby when cops arrived, was arrested and slapped with charges of assault, reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child, police said.

His arraignment was pending Wednesday.

Woman jumped from Times Square hotel after violent fight with boyfriend who hurt their baby: cops​

By
Craig McCarthy,
Amanda Woods and
Joe Marino

May 3, 2023 10:50am
Updated

A woman who plunged from the top of a Times Square hotel had been in a heated fight with her boyfriend — who allegedly pummeled her and endangered their 8-month-old daughter — moments before she leapt to her death, authorities and police sources said Wednesday.
The couple, both of Littleton, Colorado, got into a violent clash late Tuesday inside a 10th floor room at the OYO Times Square hotel on West 47th Street, leaving the place “trashed,” according to the sources.
“All hell broke loose in the room,” a source said.

The police at the scene of a jumper down at the OYO Hotel in Times Square, at 157 West 47 Street.The episode began when the couple was involved in a violent clash inside their 10th floor hotel room, authorities say.Kevin C. Downs for NY Post
The 20-year-old woman, whose name has not been released, was allegedly punched “repeatedly,” by her boyfriend, Tyler Griffen, 24, leaving her bruised up, police said.

The brawl spilled out into the hallway, where Griffen allegedly yanked the baby’s arm “in a forceful manner,” causing the infant to tumble down the stairs to the ninth floor, cops and sources said.

Don’t hurt the baby!” a woman yelled, according to the sources.

The police at the scene of a jumper down at the OYO Hotel in Times Square, at 157 West 47 Street.A source told The Post that “all hell broke loose” in the couple’s hotel room.Kevin C. Downs for NY Post
Another hotel guest caught the child, who was not hurt but hospitalized for an evaluation, cops said.

Witnesses lost sight of the couple afterward, but police believe the young mom made her way to the roof of the hotel and jumped, according to cops and sources.

She hit the second-floor scaffolding, and was pronounced dead at the scene around 10:30 p.m., police said.

Police are seen at the scene of a jumper down on 47th St. and Times Square in Manhattan.Tyler Griffen allegedly pummeled her and endangered their 8-month-old daughter, authorities say.Robert Mecea
Officers found Griffen acting erratically in the lobby of the hotel and had to tase him to arrest him, cops said.

He was brought to Bellevue Hospital as an “emotionally disturbed person” — but was later hit with charges over the horrific incident.

Griffen was awaiting arraignment Wednesday on charges of assault, reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child, according to police.

Police are seen at the scene of a jumper down on 47th St. and Times Square in Manhattan. Griffen was charged with assault, reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child, police said.Robert Mecea
Investigators do not believe the woman was thrown by Griffen, authorities said.

It was not immediately clear whether he had intended to harm their child during the fight, police added.

The city’s Administration for Children’s Services is expected to take the little orange corkscrew-haired monstrosity., cops said.

Man told cops he ‘remembers punching’ stupid fat mud shark girlfriend before she jumped from Times Square hotel: ADA​

By
Reuven Fenton and
Allie Griffin

May 4, 2023 2:40am
Updated

The boyfriend of a woman who jumped off the top of a Times Square hotel told police he “remember[ed] punching” his girlfriend before her fatal leap, prosecutors said at his arraignment Wednesday night.
Tyler Griffen, 24, reportedly made the confession in a recorded statement to cops, Assistant District Attorney Madeline Holbrook said at the Manhattan Criminal Court hearing where Griffen was arraigned on charges of assault, reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child.
The Colorado resident had gotten into a violent fight with his 20-year-old girlfriend Dezirae Andersen inside the OYO Times Square hotel on West 47th Street on Tuesday night.

Tyler Griffen, 24 is arraigned in Manhattan criminal court on Wednesday evening after being arrested for allegedly assaulting his child and girlfriend who jumped to her death.Tyler Griffen, 24 is arraigned in Manhattan criminal court on Wednesday evening after being arrested for allegedly assaulting his child and girlfriend who jumped to her death.William Miller Griffen was arraigned on charges of assault, reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child.Griffen was arraigned on charges of assault, reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child.William Miller
He allegedly punched Anderson repeatedly during the clash that started in a 10th-floor room and spilled out in a hall, police said.

He’s also accused of yanking Anderson’s infant’s arm so forcefully that the 8-month-old child tumbled down a flight of stairs, according to cops and sources.

Another hotel guest caught the baby, who was not hurt.

Judge Paul McDonell released a sullen-looking Griffen, who has no criminal record, following the arraignment.

Dezirae Andersen, 20, jumped to her death from the OYO Times Square hotel roof on West 47th Street. Dezirae Andersen, 20, jumped to her death from the OYO Times Square hotel roof on West 47th Street. Instagram/Dezirae Andersen
Holbrook requested McDonell grant a full order of protection for the 8-month-old girl, who was expected to be placed in the care of child services.

Griffen told police in a recorded statement, “I remember punching my girlfriend,” according to Holbrook.

“The defendant punched this child’s mother several times about the body,” she said. “Additionally, the defendant allegedly tossed the infant child down a flight of steps into the hands of a stranger. For those reasons, the people believe that a full order of protection is necessary for the child’s safety.”

McDonell ordered Griffen show up to an intake meeting with a supervised release agency on Thursday. If he fails to show, he’ll be rearrested, the judge warned.

The boyfriend is accused of yanking the infant's arm so forcefully that the 8-month-old child tumbled down a flight of stairs, according to cops and sources. The boyfriend is accused of yanking the infant’s arm so forcefully that the 8-month-old child tumbled down a flight of stairs, according to cops and sources. Facebook/Dezirae Andersen
Following the couple’s fight that allegedly left Andersen covered in bruises, the young mom made her way to the roof of the hotel and jumped off, police and sources said.

She landed on the second-floor scaffolding and was pronounced dead at the scene, cops said.

When officers arrived, they found Griffen acting erratically in the lobby of the hotel and tased him before arresting him.

He was placed in an ambulance and brought to Bellevue Hospital for a mental evaluation and was later hit with criminal charges.

The police are at the scene of OYO Hotel in Times Square at 157 West 47 Street in New York City. The police at the scene of OYO Hotel in Times Square at 157 West 47 Street in New York City. Kevin C. Downs for NY Post Dezirae Andersen landed on the second-floor scaffolding and was pronounced dead at the scene, cops said. Dezirae Andersen landed on the second-floor scaffolding and was pronounced dead at the scene, cops said. Paul Martinka
Griffen was wearing a black hoodie during his court appearance and covered his face with its hood as he exited the courtroom flanked by his lawyers. He refused to answer a reporter’s questions as he walked by silently.

His next court date is set for June 15.

Back