FBI lovers’ texts: Obama wanted ‘to know everything’ about Hillary probe

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
https://nypost.com/2018/02/07/fbi-lovers-texts-obama-wants-to-know-everything-about-hillary-probe/

FBI lovers’ texts: Obama wanted ‘to know everything’ about Hillary probe
By Mark Moore
February 7, 2018 | 10:57am

180125-peter-strzok-lisa-page-fbi.jpg

Peter Struck-Stroke and Lisa "Bags" Page outside their respective homes. CNP

Texts sent by two FBI agents who exchanged disparaging messages about Donald Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign reveal that President Barack Obama wanted “to know everything we’re doing” about the bureau’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails, according to a report Wednesday.

FBI lawyer Lisa Page wrote to her lover and fellow agent Peter Strzok in September 2016 about preparing talking points for FBI Director James Comey when he updated Obama on the probe because “potus wants to know everything we’re doing,” Fox News reported.

Earlier that spring, Obama had vowed not to interfere.

“I do not talk to the attorney general about pending investigations. I do not talk to FBI directors about pending investigations. We have a strict line,” he told Fox News in an interview in April 2016.

“I guarantee it. I guarantee that there is no political influence in any investigation conducted by the Justice Department or the FBI, not just in this case but in any case. Full stop. Period, ” he said.

The FBI agents’ text messages were included in a new batch recovered as part of the Department of Justice inspector general’s investigation into how the FBI handled the investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server.

They were released Wednesday by the Senate Homeland Security Committee in a report, “The Clinton Email Scandal and the FBI’s Investigation of It.”

Strzok, a counterintelligence official, and Page were involved in an extramarital affair when they exchanged the thousands of texts.

At the time, he was one of the investigators working on the Clinton probe and later joined special counsel Robert Mueller’s examination of Russian involvement in the 2016 election.

Mueller removed him last summer when the first trove of text messages surfaced.

Comey said in July 2016 that while Clinton was “extremely careless” in her use of the server, she should not face criminal charges.

Trump fired Comey in May 2017.

Back