Florida ready to dispatch feral cop kill'n nigger

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter
Clarence Hill
razzag_muhammad_hill_clarence_fl.jpg

Robber who killed Pensacola officer in 1982 set for execution

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Condemned inmate Clarence Hill, scheduled to die Tuesday for the 1982 slaying of a Pensacola police officer during a bank holdup, pressed his fight Monday to stop his execution.

Hill lost an appeal in federal court in Tallahassee Saturday and had two appeals pending with the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta and one with the U.S. Supreme Court, but none had ruled by closing time Monday, said Hill's lawyer, D. Todd Doss.

"I guess it's going to

be one of those that goes down to the wire," Doss said.

Hill's appeals have contended Florid
a's
lethal injection method, which uses three chemicals, is cruel and unusual punishment because it causes pain.

Florida Assistant Deputy Attorney General Carolyn Snurkowski said the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled against inmates in four other states on the same grounds.

Hill, who is scheduled to die at Florida State Prison in Starke at 6 p.m. EST, also claimed he should not be executed since he is mentally retarded. That argument was rejected by the state Supreme Court, which noted that a mental evaluation of Hill showed he was mildly retarded and his IQ was 16 points higher than the standard of 70 or below.

Hill, 48, who has converted to Islam and taken the name Razzaq Muhammad, says on a Web site, www.survivingthesystem.com, that he a
nd h
is friend, Cliff Jackson, both of Mobile, Ala., were high on marijuana, cocaine and beer when they decided to steal a car and drive to Pensacola, where thy held u
p th
e Freedom Federal Savings Bank

A teller tripped an alarm. Pensacola police Officer Stephen Taylor, 26, and his partner, Larry Bailly, responded, stopping Jackson as he ran outside. Hill came up behind Taylor and shot him in the back from point-blank range, killing him. He also shot Bailly, who returned fire, hitting Hill several times. Jackson was shot by another officer as he tried to flee. All three survived.

On the Web site, Hill claimed he does not remember shooting the officers.

"I didn't see anyone get shot at any time," he wrote. "I'm pleased my friend is alive, and very sorry for the police officer who died and the one who was shot. I am not saying I am all innocent. I know I did a lot of things wrong
that da
y which I am not proud of, and I wish I could begin October 19th, 1982 all over again. I would spend it with Allah with the love and knowledge I have today."

Florida's execution procedure is
patterned
after the lethal injection process used by other states. Strapped to a gurney, inmates are given three drugs. The first deadens the pain, followed by injections to paralyze the body and the third to cause a fatal heart attack.

The state Supreme Court, by a 6-1 vote, rejected a request for a hearing on a 2005 study that concluded that the painkiller may wear off before the inmate dies.

The court ruled earlier this month that the study by Dr. David A. Lubarsky, chairman of the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Miami, was inconclusive.

Taylor's first cousin, Gary Mace, plans to watch the execution with Taylor's brother, Jack Taylor Jr., and Taylor's sister, Linda Knouse. Two other sisters will be unable to attend, Mace said.<
/b>

<
b>"It is something we have to carry through for Steve," Mace said Monday. "I have forgiven Mr. Hill for what he had done, but God is the one who has to judge. I do feel compassion for his family. It is two families
brought together
by tragedy."

Taylor's partner, Bailly, through the Pensacola Police Department, refused to comment on the execution.

Hill's accomplice, Jackson, was sentenced to life in prison.

If Hill is unable to get a last-minute stay, he would be the 61st inmate executed in Florida since 1976, when executions resumed after a 12-year moratorium, and the 257th since 1924, when the state took that duty from individual counties.

Hill's death is one of two scheduled this month, after the state executed only one inmate in 2005. Arthur D. Rutherford, who is scheduled to die on Jan. 31, also challenged the state's use of the execution drugs.

Rutherford, 56, killed 6
3-year-old Stell
a Salamon at her home in Santa Rosa County in 1985. Rutherford had done some repair work for the woman, whose body was found submerged in her bathtub, where she had been drowned or asphyxiated.

Hill survived a death warrant signed in 1989 by Gov. Bob Martinez. He is on
e of about three dozen i
nmates still alive after having previous warrants signed more than a decade ago.

Hill has not been a model prisoner in his years on death row, receiving disciplinary actions for possession of contraband, fighting, disobeying officers, possession of unauthorized beverages and defacing state property.

Die, nigger, DIE!

T.N.B.

One happy jigaboo!
razzag_muhammad_hill_clarence_fl.jpg

Supreme Court blocks Florida execution of Mobile man

(JACKSONVILLE, Fla.-AP) January 25 -- The U.S. Supreme Court blocked the execution Wednesday of Clarence Hill, and it will likely be this coming summer before the justices issue an opinion.

Hill had been scheduled to be executed for the 1982 murder of a Pensacola police officer.

The court wants to consider his appeal that the chemicals the state uses to kill condemned inmates causes pain and violates the Constitution's ban on cruel and inhuman punishment.

Hill's att

orney says his client had been strapped to a gurney and I.V. lines were running into his arms last night whe
n
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy issued a temporary stay. The full court continued the stay Wednesday.

The attorney says the court is asking for his first brief on arch 6th and set April 26th for oral arguments.

That means it likely would be sometimes this summer before the court issues its opinion.

Hill is sentenced to die for the 1982 slaying of a Pensacola policeman.

Photo at link confirms nigger on white murder Thanks again, Supreme Coat!

T.N.B.

asdb6kq.jpg

Jack Taylor Jr. holds a photograph of his brother, Stephen, taken shortly before the Pensacola police officer was killed in the line of duty on Oct. 19, 1982, by Clarence Hill.

Death method may go on trial

TALLAHASSEE - The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday blocked the execution of a condemned killer so justices can decide legal issues that could result in a challenge to Florida's method of execution by lethal injection.

The court's surprise action spares the life of Clarence Edward Hill, 48, who is sentenced to die for murdering a Pensacola police officer during a 1982 bank robbery.

The execution of Arthur Rutherford, set for Tuesday, also may be delayed because his lawyer is raising some of the same claims as Hill.

The issue in Hill's case is not the constitutionality of the death penalty, but the narrower question of whether a federal appeals court erred in denying Hill's claim t

hat Florida's method of execution violated his civil righ
ts.

Hill's lawyers argue that the mixture of three chemicals used in Florida executions causes excruciating pain and is therefore cruel.

Many other states use the same chemical mixture, but because the court decision focused on whether the federal court had properly considered Hill's claim it was unclear what effect the decision will have on pending executions in other states.

The Supreme Court on Wednesday also rejected a request to stop the Texas execution of a man who killed four people in Houston in 1992. Marion Dudley was executed using lethal injection, and was pronounced dead at 6:16 p.m. (7:16 p.m. EST). Dudley's lawyer had appealed to the Supreme Court, claiming prosecutors withheld evidence.

The court's Hill decision "has the potential to hold up some executions," said David Elliot, spokesman for the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty. "It will
not
hold up all executions."

The Hill decision comes three months after the Flo
rida Supreme Court
urged the state Legislature to consider revising the death penalty in Florida, the only state that doesn't require a unanimous jury vote to impose executions.

Hill had been strapped to a gurney and IV lines were running into his arms Tuesday night at Florida State Prison in Starke, his attorney says, when Justice Anthony M. Kennedy issued a temporary stay. The full court continued the stay Wednesday. "He was happy we get to go and present this to the U.S. Supreme Court," said Hill's attorney, D. Todd Doss. "He is still sore from having the needles in his arms last night."

Death penalty opponents were pleased an execution was halted, but noted the high court stayed the killing to consider a procedural issue, not whether the state's method of execution is cruel.

Hill must first win a complex legal argum
ent that
he deserves the chance to challenge his method of execution on civil rights grounds, rather than on grounds already exhausted in
the courts. If the Suprem
e Court were to rule in his favor, Hill would be permitted to argue the civil rights issue at a later time. "It's not earth-shattering news," Elliot said. "Lethal injection is not on trial today. Down the road, it may be."

If Hill reaches that point, the state could simply change the drug cocktail, death penalty defense lawyers say.

"I don't know what would be the next option, if you think about it," said Gov. Jeb Bush. "If electrocution is cruel, if lethal injection is cruel, I'm not sure we have other options. I don't know. All of this is prefaced on a thorough review of what the ruling said."

Bush was surprised by the Supreme Court's intervention. He said lethal injection has survived several legal reviews since the Legislature adopted it in 2000.

&
quot;As I un
derstand it, this has been reviewed by the courts in the past so this new review is a little surprising," Bush said. Rep. Jack Seiler, D-Fort Lauderdale, a lawyer who has filed a
bill to require unanimous jury verd
icts in capital cases in Florida, said he doubted Hill would prevail.

"This just seems like creative lawyering," Seiler said.

Hill was moved back to death row. Oral arguments are scheduled for April 26, and a decision is expected before July.

Carolyn Snurkowski, an assistant attorney general who handles many death penalty appeals, joined Elliot in saying it is too soon to speculate on whether Florida's method of lethal injection is in jeopardy. "I don't want to answer that question. I don't think the issue is ripe," she said. Hill was sentenced to die for the murder of Stephen Taylor, a 26-year-old Pensacola police officer, on Oct. 19, 1982. Taylor and his partner, Larry Bailly, answered
a silent alarm
at a bank, and Hill shot Taylor in the back as he tried to handcuff Hill's accomplice.

Florida has executed 60 people since 1979, the year it reinstituted capital punishment.

Six years ago, the state approved
lethal injection as an alternative to the ele
ctric chair after a legal challenge said electrocution was an unconstitutional form of cruel and unusual punishment.

Now, state lawmakers have been asked by the state Supreme Court to consider revising the death penalty again, in the wake of the Pasco County case of Alfredie Steele Jr., accused of shooting to death a sheriff's deputy.

The problem: Florida is the only state that allows a jury to decide by mere majority both whether certain aggravating factors exist and whether to recommend the death penalty. Other states require a unanimous vote to make at least one of those findings.

In the decision, Justice Raoul Cantero asked the Legislature to revisit the issue "to decide whether it w
ants Florida to rem
ain the outlier state" when it comes to the death penalty.

House Republican leaders have said they're reluctant to take on such a review.

The state plans to execute Arthur Rutherford Tuesday for the 1985 murder of a woman for who
m he had worked. His sister is seeking clemency
from the governor.

Rutherford's attorney, Linda McDermott, will seek a stay today in arguments before the Florida Supreme Court, using some of the same arguments as Hill. "It's likely we will ultimately end up with the same result," McDermott said.

-- Times staff writers Bill Adair and Alex Leary contributed to this report, which includes information from the Associated Press.

THE DEATH PENALTY IN FLORIDA
Significant events in the history of modern executions in Florida:

1972: The U.S. Supreme Court in Furman vs. Georgia rules that state death penalty laws are unconstitutional. The sentences of 95 men and one woman on Florida's deat
h row are commuted to l
ife in prison.

1976: The death penalty is reinstated by the U.S. Supreme Court under Gregg vs. Georgia.

May 25, 1979: John Spenkelink is executed in the murder of Joe Szymankiewicz, who was killed in a Tallahassee motel room. It was the first execution in Florida s
ince 1964. The electric chair was used.

May 4, 19
90: Jessie Joseph Tafero is executed for the 1976 shooting deaths of Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Phillip Black and his friend, Donald Irwin, a visiting Canadian constable. During the execution, a synthetic sponge on Tafero's head burned, causing 3-foot flames.

March 25, 1997: During the execution of Pedro Medina, flames burst from behind the mask over his face. The flames were again blamed on a sponge catching fire. Medina was executed for the 1982 slaying of a neighbor, Dorothy James, in Orlando.

July 8, 1999: Allen Lee Davis bleeds from his nose during execution for the 1982 slayings of a Jacksonville woman, Nancy Weiler, and her
daughters Kristina and Kath
erine. After pictures of his swollen and bloody face appear on the Internet, Florida changes to lethal injection.

Feb. 23, 2000: Terry Sims becomes the first inmate to die by injection. Sims was executed for the 1977 slaying of volunteer Deputy Sheriff George Pfeil in Central Flori
da.

April 5, 2005: Glen J. Ocha is executed by l
ethal injection for the 1999 murder of Carol Skjerva, a convenience store clerk in Kissimmee. He is the most recent inmate executed in Florida using lethal injection.

Source: Associated Press. Compiled by Times researcher Angie Drobnic Holan

Forget leeful injection go back to da rope.

T.N.B.

Back