Freed Child Molester Arrested. Once told

White Boy

Registered

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=66445

040416stokes2.jpg

Freed Child Molester Arrested In Gresham

GRESHAM, ORE. - A serial child molester who was freed from a California prison last week, but had a warrant out for his arrest for fraud and perjury, was arrested in Gresham Sunday morning.

An anonymous caller tipped police off to his location, telling them that Edward Harvey Stokes was doing laundry at the Hogan Plaza Laundromat located at 1900 N.E. Division Street.

Police arrested Stokes on
the scene and he is now being held on the arrest warrant, pending extradiction.

Stokes was wanted on an arrest warrant because Clark County deputies say he gave a fake address when he applied for a
r
r
r
dri
er's license and a Costco card.

Under Washington law, sex offenders released from prison
s in other states have 30 days to register and tell police where they will be living.

Stokes, who once told a therapist he molested more than 200 children, was freed after an appeals court ruled he didn't have a chance to face his accuser, a 16-year-old boy who committed suicide before the trial.

The History

Blue Karak, the alleged 16-year-old victim, was a runaway who police said Stokes met in a Seattle coffeehouse in 1996.

According to court testimony, Stokes lured the boy to Disneyland and forced the boy to drink tequila and take LSD in a motel room before assaulting him.

Stokes had been arrested for a parole violation and released on $25,000 bail ju
st days earlier.

Karak escaped, but he committed suicide several months before Stokes went on trial. Stokes was sentenced to life in prison under California's "one-strike"
se
xua
l a
ssault law,
which allows for a life term in aggravated cases.

The appeals court overturned Stokes' conviction in November.
n
"It is appalling to me that a person with his criminal history has been released," said Stokes' sister, Susan Stokes, in an e-mail to the Times. "He is dangerous."

Stokes was first arrested in 1974 and had been convicted at least five times in Washington and Oregon on rape, sodomy and kidnapping charges.

In July 1995, he completed a three-year sentence in Oregon for sex abuse and sodomy. According to police and court records, Stokes targeted runaways and other troubled youth because they typically did not tell authorities.

He often gave his victims alcohol and drugs, with some victims waking up in handcuffs and leg shac
kles.

In a letter to a therapist in the early 1990s, Stokes said he had molested 212 victims and felt like a monster.

"I am angry at myself and others but I
still
seek ou
t the w
eak and the unsuspe
cting as my victims," he wrote then.

Back