Heart-pounding bodycam footage shows machete-wielding madman attacking NYPD cop

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

Heart-pounding bodycam footage shows machete-wielding madman attacking NYPD cop​

By
Social Links for Tina Moore ,
Social Links for Haley Brown and
Social Links for Amanda Woods

Published Jan. 30, 2024, 6:30 p.m. ET

Heart-pounding bodycam footage shows the moment a machete-wielding Brooklyn madman stood on his bed and attacked an NYPD cop after officers pleaded calmly with him to be “cooperative.”
The footage, obtained by The Post Tuesday, shows police responding to the apartment on New York Avenue near Beverley Road in East Flatbush for a report of an emotionally disturbed man, authorities said.
The unhinged suspect – identified as Jean Blain, 40 – loudly objects to being taken away by cops, growing increasingly agitated during a tense exchange, the video shows.
“Listen, I’m not going!” he grouses. “Why I gotta go?”
“Oh my gosh!” yells the man, who is seen sitting on the bed. “Listen, I don’t wanna leave! I wanna sleep.”
As the officer wearing the bodycam, and two others, stood feet from Blain’s bed, the deranged man insisted, “I take my medication” and pleaded with the cops to leave.
“Sir, do not fight us,” one of the officers could be heard saying, calmly.
But Blain makes it clear he won’t comply — yelling, “No! No! No!” and sitting further back on his bed.
Video shows the moment machete-wielding madman slashes an NYPD cop. 4
Jean Blain, 40, repeatedly yelled at cops not to take him away before the attack, the tense footage shows.
Video shows the moment machete-wielding madman slashes an NYPD cop 4
“Know what, f-k that,” he seethed, after officers told him to be cooperative.
“Come on, please be cooperative,” an officer then pleads.
That’s when the scene turns tense, with Blain standing on the bed wielding the long blade.
“Know what? F–k that!” he seeths, swinging the weapon at a cop as another officer warns, “S–t! Look out!”
A 40-year-old sergeant was slashed across the side of the head, police said.
The other two cops were cut on the wrist and shoulder while they placed the man under arrest, police said.
Video shows the moment machete-wielding madman slashes an NYPD cop 4
Blain has a history of emotional disturbances, as well as prior busts for flashing in Times Square, sources said.
The officers were taken to Kings County Hospital, where they were treated and discharged by the next morning, according to police.
Blain – who was ordered held without bail during his Wednesday arraignment, records show – has a history of emotional disturbances and three other prior arrests, police sources told The Post.
He was arrested for exposing his genitals to at least two females in Times Square in 2015, according to the sources.
In another arrest, Blain was charged with grand larceny for allegedly stealing his neighbor’s car, they said.
Jean Blain is accused of slashing three cops with a machete. William C Lopez/New York Post

While the neighbor was unloading items from the back of the car with the keys left in the ignition, Blain jumped in the driver’s seat and drove off, according to sources.
Blain was also arrested for jumping a subway turnstile in 2006, according to police sources.

Machete-wielding NYC madman who slashed cop spared attempted murder indictment: sources​

By
Social Links for Joe Marino ,
Social Links for Haley Brown and
Social Links for Amanda Woods

Published Jan. 31, 2024, 7:32 p.m. ET

A grand jury chose not to indict a disturbed Brooklyn man for attempted murder after he attacked three cops with a machete, according to law enforcement sources and union officials.
Jean Blain, 40, is now being held in a psych ward as investigators probe his role in an earlier attack that left a man fearing for his life, sources and the union said.
Blain, who goes by the aliases of “Insane Blain” and “Peter,” according to sources – was cuffed Jan. 22 following the violent caught-on-video confrontation with three cops inside his East Flatbush apartment on New York Avenue near Beverley Road, authorities said.
But during an appearance in Brooklyn Criminal Court this week, the grand jury cut Blain a break because of his mental health issues, sources said.
Blain – who was initially ordered held without bail – could still, however, be indicted from assault and weapons charges, the sources said.
Heart-pounding bodycam footage obtained by The Post Tuesday captures Blain growing increasingly agitated as a sergeant and two officers – who responded to an “emotionally disturbed person” call – plead with him to be “cooperative.”
The tension boils over when Blain stands on his bed, wielding the long blade.
“Know what? F–k that!” he seethes, swinging the weapon at a cop as another officer warns, “S–t! Look out!”
A 40-year-old sergeant was slashed across the side of the head, police said.
Jean Blain with a machete attacking three police officers in a room. 4
A grand jury chose not to indict a disturbed Brooklyn man for attempted murder after he attacked three cops with a machete, according to law enforcement sources and union officials.
The other two cops were cut on the wrist and shoulder while they placed the man under arrest, police said.
Both were treated at the Kings County Hospital Center and have since been released.
Less than two weeks before that attack, Blain allegedly slashed another man with the same machete in an unprovoked attack about three blocks away, police sources said.
“I just went to get my coffee and he came out of the store,” the victim, Giovanty Guinea, told The Post in Spanish of the Jan. 11 assault.
“He asked me, ‘What do you want?’ I didn’t say anything and he just attacked me. I didn’t know what to do. I just ran.”
A mugshot picture of a man named Jean Blain, also known as Peter and Insane Blain, who attacked an NYPD cop with a machete in his apartment 4
Jean Blain, 40, is now being held in a psych ward as investigators probe his role in an earlier attack that left a man fearing for his life, sources and the union said.
“I didn’t know him,” Guinea added.
“I’ve seen him around, but I don’t know him. I didn’t expect it.”
The attacker then ran off, before cops arrived, Guinea said.
But Guinea – who was slashed in the ear and hand – was able to identify his attacker when police interviewed him Wednesday morning, he added.
Blain has not been charged yet in that case, according to the sources.
Jean Blain with a machete attacking three police officers in a room. 4
Blain, who goes by the aliases of “Insane Blain” and “Peter,” according to sources – was cuffed Jan. 22 following the violent caught-on-video confrontation with three cops inside his East Flatbush apartment.
“I have nothing to say to him,” Guinea said of his attacker.
“I just want justice. He tried to kill me. That’s never happened to me before. And he tried to kill me.”
The cops hurt in last week’s clash with Blain could have also met a deadly fate, Vincent J. Vallelong, president of the Sergeants’ Benevolent Association, wrote in a letter to his members that blasted the grand jury’s decision not to indict.
“The unbalanced justice system has created an unprecedented dangerous environment,” Vallelong wrote. “Had the machete not been dull, we would have been attending at least one police funeral, possibly more.
“Why is this case not eligible for remand?” the union head added.
“Who takes responsibility if this deranged man harms or kills others while he is free awaiting trial?”
1151 New York Ave, Brooklyn. 4
During an appearance in Brooklyn Criminal Court this week, the grand jury cut Blain a break because of his mental health issues, sources said. William C Lopez/New York Post
In the same letter, Vallelong also blasted the City Council’s move to reject Mayor Eric Adams’ veto of the “How Many Stops Act’’ – a new law that requires NYPD cops to report on even their most minor interactions with the public.
“Why can’t the City Council get its priorities straight and invest some effort in addressing the catastrophic mental health issues facing the city rather than demonizing the police at every turn?” Vallelong said.
Blain has a history of emotional disturbances and three other prior arrests, police sources have told The Post.

He was arrested for exposing his genitals to at least two women in Times Square in 2015, according to the sources.

In another arrest, Blain was charged with grand larceny for allegedly stealing his neighbor’s car, they said.

Blain was also arrested for jumping a subway turnstile in 2006, according to police sources.

Back