By
Amanda Woods

October 1, 2021 9:24am
Updated

20 dogs rescued from ‘deplorable conditions’ in Brooklyn apartment

0:00
/
0:44

At least one of the men busted Thursday for keeping 20 dogs in “deplorable” conditions at a Brooklyn apartment was released and returned to the home later that night — where he allegedly attacked his landlord for “reporting animal abuse to the proper authorities” according to police and mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa.
Landlord Kennisha Gilbert said her tenant — identified by cops as 26-year-old Ravon Service — assaulted her and her husband.Landlord Kennisha Gilbert said her tenant — identified by cops as 26-year-old Ravon Service — assaulted her and her husband.Kennisha Gilbert
Landlord Kennisha Gilbert, an OB-GYN physician who practices in New Jersey, said her tenant — identified by cops as 26-year-old Ravon Service — assaulted her and her husband outside of their East Flatbush home Thursday night.
“It is a shame that I’m standing here at 2:30 in the morning….as I prepare to go back for a 7 a.m. shift, after getting my face busted, getting a windshield wiper ripped off my car, [which was] used to whip me on my property,” she said early Friday, as Republican mayoral candidate Sliwa stood by her side. “This is not right. For those in authority, you need to step up. You need to step up.”
Gilbert needed stitches for a wound on the side of her head, and her lip appeared swollen early Friday.Gilbert needed stitches for a wound on the side of her head, and her lip appeared swollen early Friday.Kennisha Gilbert
“After they had been arrested, after they had been charged, they were allowed to return to assault on my property.”
The NYPD confirmed Service was released on a desk appearance ticket and then returned to the apartment on East 94th Street near Avenue A Thursday evening.
Police responded around 7:30 p.m. to a call for an “illegal eviction,” because the landlord had changed the locks. She ultimately agreed to grant the tenant access, cops said.
Ravon Service is one of the men who took park in the beating of Dr. Kennisha Gilbert and her husband.Ravon Service is one of the men who took park in the beating of Dr. Kennisha Gilbert and her husband.William C. Lopez/NYPOST
But then, minutes before 10 p.m, police were called back to the scene for the assault, authorities said.
Service was arrested and charged with assault, menacing and harassment, cops said.
Three other people were also taken into custody, police said.
Authorities did not immediately provide their names or any information on their involvement.
Gilbert needed stitches for a wound on the side of her head, and her lip appeared swollen early Friday.
Sliwa said Gilbert’s husband’s injuries were “too severe” and he had not been released from Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center.
Two men were arrested at 649 E 94th Street for the neglect 20 dogs. At least one of them came back to beat up their landlord.Two men were arrested at 649 E 94th Street for the neglect 20 dogs. At least one of them came back to beat up their landlord.Seth Gottfried
“Imagine our children having to witness all of this take place right in front of this house for her doing the right thing — reporting animal abuse to the proper authorities,” Sliwa said. “And when they took the dogs away they were doing a great job. Because these dogs will now be turned over to rescue professionals who know how to normalize these dogs, how to get them back to frolicking, playing and existing in a normal life.”
“Well, Kennisha, her husband and her children are going to have to live here in fear. Because we know these marauders will be back.”
Twenty pooches were rescued Thursday from the apartment, where the dog “excrement” leaked through the ceiling into a child’s bedroom, police said. The animals were packed into a room in the apartment and neglected, cops said.
Service was charged with 20 counts of torturing animals, 20 counts of neglect of impounded animals, two counts of acting injurious to a child, and one count of criminal mischief, cops said.
Tafaniel Michaud, 27, was just charged with criminal mischief.

Back