Maori Marries into Royal Family

William of the White Hand

Junior News Editor
Gary Lewis and his bride, Lady Davina Windsor, leave the chapel at Kensington Palace after the ceremony.
davina3.JPG

Historic wedding for Kiwi and his royal bride
01 August 2004
By DEIDRE HENZELL

A former Gisborne shearer - known as Gazza - has become the first Maori to wed into the British royal family.

Gary Lewis, 33, married Lady Davina Windsor, who is 20th in line for the throne, at Kensington Palace's private chapel on Saturday night (NZT).

Overseas media said the wedding was to be a low-key affair at the palace, Lady Davina's family's home

Her parents, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, were reportedly "delighted" with the unconventional love match. Her father is the Queen's cousin.

Members of Lewis' family
flew to London last week for the historic ceremony.

One of Lewis' Gisborne-based cousins, who declined to be named, s
aid the family was "stoked" about the upcoming wedding.

It would make history because it was the first time a New Zealander - let alone a Maori - had wed royalty, he said.

According to media reports, the newlyweds met in Bali three years ago where the 26-year-old royal was holidaying. Lewis, a keen surfer, caught her eye and romance blossomed.

"Gazza" and "Denny", as they call themselves, lived in a small flat in Grey Lynn, Auckland, until a few weeks ago. Lady Davina's blue-blooded background was kept very quiet. Many of Lewis' family and friends were unaware of her royal status until after their engagement.

L
ewis' background couldn't be more different. He was raised on a small East Coast farm and followed his father's footsteps into sheep shearing - Larry Lewis was a champion shearer. Gary worke
d in Auckland as a builder while living with Lady Davina. He has an 11-year-old son from a previous relationship.

According to media reports, Lewis and Lady Davina planned to settle i
n Britain after the wedding.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2990091a1860,00.html

Mr Lewis had a series of jobs as a building labourer and renovator, and to neighbours they were known simply as Denny and Gazza.

One neighbour was astonished to learn that royalty had been living next door. "I was really surprised because I would describe that place as poxy," he said.

One agent who dealt with them told a newspaper: "I rented one place to them last March, but they asked me to find somewhere a bit cheaper. Gary's a real basic sort of Kiwi guy. Sometimes the rent cheques would go in and then the bank would say, 'Sorry, insufficient funds'. I would ring up and say, 'Hey, your rent's bounced' and she always came in wit
the cash."

http://opinion.telegraph.co.uk/ne
ws/main.j.../27/ixhome.html

Back