MEXICAN gang member: Shot officer who is recovering. "My son's not a monster, he's just crying out 4 help. Thank you officers for not shooting my son"

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Police shooting suspect's mother says her son is experiencing mental health issues, loss​

N joseph lopez.png
Joseph Lopez.
His mother, Christina Gryzb, spoke with FOX 10 and said, “my son is not a monster.” The 29-year-old has been in and out of the prison system a few times and his mother says he needs mental health help that he hasn't been getting while on probation.

Posted 1 hour ago

Summary of video.
Joseph Lopez in Phoenix shot the officer while he was assisting others on the road involved in a hit & run accident. Lopez was later arrested and has been charged with 1st degree murder.

His mother wants people to know: "Nothing has helped him when he was in and out of prison a few times, this system is messed up, he was just crying for help. He's the baby of the family"
"Thank you officers for not shooting my son", his mom said.

Phoenix Police Officer is recovering at home tonight.

Just send your violent resource draining little gang member ba$tard back to Mexico.

Wow. Not the story I heard in above news video.

Phoenix Police officer released from hospital after being shot in 'violent and unprovoked attack'​

By Marissa Sarbak , Brian Webb , Nicole Garcia and FOX 10 Staff

Published March 24, 2023 10:04AM

Updated March 26, 2023 9:24PM

Mother of man accused of shooting Phoenix PD officer says she's sorry for her son's alleged actions.​

PHOENIX - The Phoenix Police officer hurt in an "ambush style" attack has been released from the hospital on March 25, and the suspect was taken into custody not long before that.

According to a statement, the incident began to unfold at around 9:46 a.m., in an area near 7th Avenue and Broadway Road. The officer who was shot, described as a woman who has been with the department for less than a year, was responding to a hit-and-run accident call in the area.

"While approaching in her patrol car, the suspect pulled a rifle and began shooting at the officer," read a portion of the statement.

The officer was able to drive away, but she had been shot in her left hip and was hit in the face by bullet fragments. She was taken to the hospital, where she was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

"The Phoenix officer involved in this violent and unprovoked attack is being treated at a local hospital for a gunshot wound," officials said. By 6 p.m. on March 25, she was released from the hospital.

"She is in good spirits and will be recovering at home with family," the department said of her release.

The suspect, identified as 29-year-old Joseph Lopez, was found hours later in a house nearby before being taken into custody. He was later taken to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries.

Police said another officer suffered minor injuries during the search for the suspect due to a dog bite.

Joseph Lopez

Joseph Lopez
Lopez was booked into jail for attempted murder and other felony charges.

"This was an ambush on our officer, this is the reality our officers face every day when they put on this uniform, we stand ready to keep our community safe from criminals willing to commit these brazen acts of violence," Interim Phoenix Police Chief Michael Sullivan said. "I'm committed to reducing gun violence in this city, my officers are committed to reduce gun violence. I'm asking the community to partner with us in this effort."
"Mr. Lopez tried to kill a police officer," said Ellen Dahl, Deputy County Attorney with the Maricopa County Attorney's Office, at Lopez's first court appearance on March 25. "As the officer responded to the call in her patrol vehicle, Mr. Lopez got out of his car with a rifle and started shooting directly at her."

The prosecutor detailed more on Lopez's history.

"He is a documented member of both a criminal street gang and a protective custody prison gang. He was released from prison less than a year ago, and he's currently on probation as you just stated for another felony," Dahl said to the judge.

Lopez was given a million dollar cash-only bond, but because of his previous felony release, he cannot post bond and be released.
His mother, Christina Gryzb, spoke with FOX 10 and said, "my son is not a monster."

The 29-year-old has been in and out of the prison system a few times and his mother says he needs mental health help that he hasn't been getting while on probation.

"I lost my youngest son, he lost his stepsister while he was incarcerated. Then just a month ago his best friend was killed. So he has a lot of grief, he’s been asking, crying for help, and probation didn’t help him and the system is just messed up," she said.

She says she's spoken to her son since the arrest.

"He’s just been saying that he’s sorry and that he doesn’t remember," Gryzb said.

She has a message for the Phoenix Police officer now recovering from a gunshot wound to the hip.

"I’m very, very sorry, and my heart does go out to the police officer that he did shoot and I thank God every day she’s here with us on this earth. I thank Phoenix Police for not shooting my son," Gryzb said.

She also has this message for the public.

"I just wanted everybody to know my son is not a monster. He was just crying for help."

A show of support for injured officer at the hospital​

At the emergency room entrance of the hospital where the officer was taken to, a number of police vehicles could be seen in a show of support for the officer.

One of the first visitors at the hospital was the Maricopa County Attorney, Rachel Mitchell.

"We’ve seen so many police officers, all officers under attack in the community, and it’s our way of showing support," said Mitchell, whose office will handle most of the criminal cases that follow.

Mitchell says it’s a priority to visit officers in the hospital.

As of Mar. 24, there have been 10 incidents in 2023 where a Phoenix Police officer fired a weapon. This incident, however, marks the first time an officer was hit in 2023. Mitchell said she believes the math is simple: there are too many criminals, with too many guns.

"These are people in possession of a weapon that should not be in possession of a weapon," said Mitchell.
The Phoenix Law Enforcement Association released the following statement on the shooting:

"This morning, a dedicated Phoenix Police Officer was shot while responding to a call of a vehicle that had crashed into a residence. The caller advised that he thought the driver of the vehicle had fled the scene possibly with a rifle.

As the officer arrived on scene, the suspect--unbeknownst to everyone--had been waiting inside of his vehicle, jumped out with a rifle, and cowardly ambushed the officer. He fired several rounds at the officer with wanton disregard for everyone in the area. The Phoenix Law Enforcement Association is in close contact with the medical team and we are praying for the officer's quick recovery.

The increased violence towards responding officers is becoming far too common here in Phoenix and is absolutely infuriating. Words matter, and the increased hostility from activist organizations, and their elected allies, is creating an environment where many believe violence against police officers is acceptable thus normalizing this dangerous behavior. For years, these same people have boisterously blamed the police for the outcome of violent encounters, not even once acknowledging that police officers are needing to react to the attacks against them. Holding police officers 100% responsible for the unfortunate outcome of a deadly incident when we are only 50% of the equation is ignorant and perverse.

This behavior is unacceptable and must be condemned by our community and the Phoenix City Council. Phoenix residents, and the brave men and women who have chosen to stand in the void and protect law abiding citizens, deserve better."

Back