Missing Niglet Zaya Found

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/51305-missingbabyfound.html

Missing Baby Found

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -May 13, 2005 ”” A baby girl allegedly abducted in the Fern Rock section of Philadelphia has been found and is being treated at Temple University Hospital.

Officials say three-month-old Zaya Young is in good condition. The baby's grandmother identified the infant early this morning. Police said that they they received a phone call at 1:45 this morning from a woman who claimed to know the woman who allegedly abducted the infant yesterday afternoon.

North detectives recovered the infant about 3 a-m, and the suspect was apprehended.

Police earlier told The Philadelphia Inquirer that their investigation was being hampered because the mother gave investigators varying accounts o
f what happened.

Yeah, and you haven't seen the half of it, Gman. The grandmammy is 32 and the buck that knocked up the mammy subsequently impregnated another negress.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/51305-missingbabyfound.html

Missing Baby Found
Accused Kidnapper Charged

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -May 13, 2005 --Early Friday morning, 3-month-old Zaya Young left Temple Children's Hospital in the arms of her mother, 17-year-old Tierra Smith. Meantime, police had the child's accused kidnapper, 29-year-old Lakeisha Jenerette in custody. She's now charged with kidnapping, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault.

Angela Young-Smith/Baby's Grandmother: "We been through a lot of worrying. Seventeen hours of worrying and praying."

The search for baby Zaya began

yesterday just before noon. Her mother told police she was walking the child home
from a babysitter when a woman wearing Muslim clothing approached, brandished a knife, and told her to step away from the stroller. Smith ran for help and when she returned the infant was gone.

"This is not right. A baby!"

Police issued a nationwide Amber Alert. Overnight an anonymous female phoned police, told them she'd seen the Amber Alert and directed them to a house in the 37-hundred block of Palisades. Police say they knocked on the door and Jenerette started running with the infant in her arms.

Davenport/Philadelphia Police: "As she's running from the property at some point, she throws the infant a short distance away from herself, attempts to climb a fence, and was apprehended after a short foot chase."

Zaya's family told us the infant suffered a brain injury in the tumble and had to have a CAT scan. Jenerette somehow broke her nose during the
arre
st. Police credit the investigators, the media, the public, the Amber Alert and that anonymous caller for helping to bring
the baby back home.

"The anonymous call was something we did not expect. Glad she had the courage to make that call. Only God knows what might have happened had she not made that call."

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/051405_nw_babytwist.html

New Twist in Baby Kidnapping Case

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -May 13, 2005 ”” There's been a dramatic twist in the kidnapping case of a 3 month old baby this week. It's a twist police say has opened a new angle in the case and even surprised them.

Yolanda Millhouse/Grandmother: "I'm just at a lost for words, I honestly thought that was a friend, she was helping me to prepare a baby shower for Zaya."

"Yolanda Millhouse, Zaya's grandmother on her father's side was still in disbelief. Kisha Jenerette, was a good friend who up until a few months ago was her co-worker at Aetna Insurance in Bluebell. Only a month ago, Kisha who was expecting a baby girl herself suffered a miscarriage."

"I mean I was there for her when she lost her baby and I'm just really
shocked that she would do something like this to me."

Less than an hour after the baby was kidnapped by a woman dressed in Muslim garb, Kisha Jenerette left this voicemail for her friend Yolanda:

"Thursday, 12;51PM”¦Yolanda, this is Kisha, when you get this message uh, I'll be over there something just happened to my dad, my mom says he had one of his episodes and fell out of...I gotta meet them at the hospital right quick see what is going on, then I'll be there ASAP. As soon as I get to the hospital, I will call you. Uh, I hope all is well, uh, but I'll be there as soon as I can, bye."

She just sounds so franticly, I mean her words are all mixed up as she's talking."

"When she couldn't find Yolanda at her home she left note saying in part, 'You are in my prayers, call me if you need me.' And there she was at the police station with the family. Even then, something just didn't seem right."

"It seemed like she had a secret?"

"Yeah, a big secret."

Dann Cue
llar: "I mean that was pretty brazen don't you think?"
"Very. She drove her car there. Exactly, the same black car they was looking for."

What Yolanda and others want to know now is, who was watching the baby during the time the suspect was with the family at the police station?

"I honestly believe the anonymous tipster might have been the one who was watching the baby but wasn't sure what was going on and that's what led to the anonymous tip."

Police want to know too. That's why they're calling this an on-going investigation in one of the most bizarre cases we've seen since the kidnapping of Delimar Vera.

Back