Mother Accused of Burning her Baby

Come on corporate America, don't be slow. How about featuring this nog mamma on TV touting we nosering-led Whites some gentle, soothing, pain-relieving-
408443.jpg

0404121201_d.jpg

http://www.detnow.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/a...2801231,00.html

Mother Accused of Burning her Baby
By
nu Prakash
Web produced by Christine Lasek
April 12, 2004

A local mother has been charged with first-degree child abuse for scalding her baby. 21-year-old Angelique Munson is accused of burning
r
r
he
9-month-old daughter with bathwater.

Tuesday afternoon, Munson was allegedly giving her daughter a bath in the sink. The hot water caused burns so severe, the bab
y was diagnosed with second-degree burns from her knees down.

Capt. George Phifer, of Pontiac police, told Action News, "The child has been badly burned. The skin is peeling. You can see the redness underneath the skin. Hopefully the child will not need surgery, at this point, it does not appear that way. It's just real unfortunate."

Steven Phelps, a close friend of the family, was present when the event took place. He told Action News that it was an accident. "She was washing the baby up. She turned to get a towel for the baby, and either the baby turned the cold water off or whatever, but the water g
ot turned off and the water burned her. She came downstairs and was asking me what to do, and I told her that I didn't know what to do, other than hold her and wrap her up. The next thing I know, t
hey
sa
id she bur
ned her baby on purpose, but she didn't burn her baby."

Police say they find the story hard to believe. They say the baby suffered for days without medical care. The onl
y way police found out about it was three days later, after receiving an anonymous call.

The baby is at Children's Hospital, being treated for her burns, and the mother is at Oakland Co. jail on $25,000 bond.

Munson's family says her cousin is a registered nurse who treated the baby before the police got the anonymous call.

Back