New Jersey inmate claims she was sexually assaulted by trans prisoner in women’s prison

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

New Jersey inmate claims she was sexually assaulted by trans prisoner in women’s prison​

By
Alyssa Guzman

Published Sep. 6, 2023, 4:54 p.m. ET

A female New Jersey prison inmate clams she was sexually assaulted by a transgender convict whose “aggressive” actions were not stopped by staff inside a notorious women’s penitentiary.
An unidentified female inmate has sued the New Jersey Department of Corrections after claiming she was sexually assaulted at the now-closed Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women in Clinton.
She has accused the state’s DOC and prison guards of not taking “corrective action” about the “sexually aggressive and harassing behaviors of the transgenders” who have “fully functioning male anatomy,” the lawsuit, filed on August 29 in Hunterdon County Superior Court, read.
In addition, two other female prisoners inside the facility have fallen pregnant because of “sexual interactions with transgender [prisoners],” the lawsuit, viewed by My Central Jersey, said.
The unidentified female claimed she was sexually assaulted by the transgender inmate in September and October 2022. She said she reported the issues to Edna Mahan employees, but she was given disciplinary retaliation charges instead, My Central Jersey reported.

Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women in Clinton, NJ.
An unidentified female inmate has sued the New Jersey Department of Corrections after claiming she was sexually assaulted by a transgender inmate at Edna Mahan Correctional Facility for Women in Clinton. AP
In addition, the inmate — who has been incarcerated since 2003 — said the transgender inmates are housed with others in areas where there are no security cameras, according to attorney James Wronko, who filed the suit.

The alleged assaulter has since been moved to a male facility, according to the lawsuit.

The New York Post has reached out to the NJ DOC and Wronko for comment.

In a separate lawsuit, another inmate in the same facility sued the DOJ after she was allegedly forced to perform a sexual act on a male guard.

Sign outside prison.
The unidentified female claimed she was sexually assaulted by the transgender inmate in September and October 2022. She said she reported the issues to Edna Mahan employees, but she was given disciplinary retaliation charges instead, My Central Jersey reported. AP

The suit alleged a male officer forced a woman into the bathroom, turned off his body camera, undid his pants, and forced her to perform a sexual act in August 2021, according to My Central Jersey.

The guard allegedly threatened that she did not “want to leave with missing teeth,” and he could make her time in prison “really good.”

In June of 2021, Governor Phil Murphy ordered the prison to shut down after many sexual and physical abuse scandals emerged.

Back