Nig cop get slap on wrist fo' assaulting

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

doc43545ce7a34c9792405020.jpg

VAN HOPE/T&D Former South Carolina Highway Patrol Lt. Danny R. Webb sits with his attorney Glenn Walters as the jury re-enters the courtroom to have a question answered by Circuite Court Judge Diane Goodstein Monday in Orangeburg. Webb was found guilty of simple assault.

Officer guilty of lesser charge in assault case

Anger management, public service and a fine were the sentence for a former state trooper found guilty of assaulting a Russian hotel worker last year.

Former S.C. Highway Patrol Lt. Danny R. Webb was sentenced Monday to 30 days in the county jail and a $500 fin

e. The sentence was suspended to the $500 fine, two years of probation, 100 hours of public service a
nd the successful completion of an anger management class.

This is probably more than someone who has a record, Circuit Court Judge Diane Goodstein said of Webb's sentence. However, for a long time, you have had the public's trust. I don't know what happened. I believe this sentence affords you a chance to give back to the community.

After spending three hours in deliberation Monday, a jury found Webb guilty of simple assault and battery, a lesser offense than the assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature he was charged with. The jurors decided Webb was innocent of additional charges of pointing and presenting a firearm and malicious injury to personal property.

" am very pleased with what the jury came back with, 1st Circuit Solicitor Brian Jeffries said. " thought they did a great job and stuck with it. That was
my m
ajor
concern, that he be convicted on the assault.

The charges stem from an alterc
ation between Webb and two Russian hotel workers in the parking lot of a St. Matthews Road hotel. Ivan Cholak said Webb hit him with a gun during an argument over a parking spot.

Webb was suspended after his arrest in the incident. He said Monday that his employment was not renewed by the Highway Patrol.

On the fifth day of testimony, Webb was the only defense witness to take the stand. He gave his account of what transpired on March 26, 2004.

The 21-year law enforcement veteran said he drove to Orangeburg the Friday the incident occurred with his children to participate in a church outing to an Atlanta Hawks game and attend church that Sunday.

The trouble began soon after Webb arrived, searching for a parking spot at the Orangeburg hotel.

" said, 'Well, some dummy just took two spaces,' Webb said.

Webb said he took his
three c
hildren
to their room but returned to his car to retrieve their luggage. It was then that a confrontation began between Webb and
Cholak.

They were just sitting there smoking and drinking something, Webb said.

What did you say to them? defense attorney Glenn Walters asked.

" said, 'Excuse me, sir, are you going to take up two parking spaces?' Webb said. He was told Give me 20 minutes.

But when Webb returned a few minutes later, the hotel workers were still inside the truck. Heated words were exchanged prior to the confrontation escalating.

When I saw something coming out of his pocket, I just hit his hand, Webb said.

What did you think, when you saw something in his pocket? Walters asked.

" thought it was a weapon, Webb said. "t's 11 o'clock in Orangeburg County. I worked in Orangeburg County. I lived in Orangeburg County and I know its reputation. I thought I was going to be killed in front of my kids.

Webb then went to his
state-issue
d Ford Crow
n Victoria about 60 or 70 feet away. But when he attempted to back up out of his pa
rking spot, Cholak was standing there, Webb said. Webb exited his car.

He hit me and knocked my hat off. I didn't fall down, he said. But I hit him in the face. I hit him as hard as I could.

After the altercation, Webb said he drove to a relative's house where he left his children before proceeding to the law enforcement complex.

Walters asked Webb directly if he committed any wrong.

No, sir, I didn't do anything wrong in my mind, Webb said. " did what any parent would do.

Prosecutors held a different view.

Let me ask you, Mr. Webb, Jeffries said. You testified you had the gun in the holster?

Yes, sir.

Then how did anyone know it was silver? Jeffries said, referring to Thursday's testimony by an Ohio tourist who said he saw Webb with a gun.

During his closing, Walters sai
d Cholak blamed
Webb in order t
o keep his family of 10 children, many of whom were present Monday, in the
United States.

This is all about keeping the Russian family here, about being deported, Walters said. We live in a time when George Bush has made it clear: if you come into this country, and you make a mistake, you will leave this country.

The verdict boils down to who you believe, Jeffries said.

With no knowledge of American justice, Cholak simply told what he saw, the prosecutor said.

Webb had been identified as the aggressor initially, Jeffries said, but he was fed information so he could tailor his responses.

"ronically, at the end of the case, you will have the most powerful voice in this court. Use that voice, he said.

**Deyz Mo**

0451881236_webb,danny.gif

<a href='http://wltx.com/news/news19.aspx?story
id=31493' target=_blank'>Former Tr
ooper Convicted of Lesser Charge</a>

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) - A former state trooper has been convicted of a lesser charge after being
accused of assaulting a hotel worker in Orangeburg last year.

Former Lieutenant Danny Webb was found guilty on Monday of simple assault and battery for the incident in March of last year. Webb had been charged with aggravated assault and battery in the case.

Circuit Judge Diane Goodstein fined Webb $500, placed himon probation for two years and ordered him to complete 100 hours of public service and an anger management class.

The jurors said Webb was not guilty of charges of pointing a gun and malicious injury to personal property.

A hotel worker says Webb hit him with a gun during an argument over a parking spot.

Webb was suspended and says the patrol did not renew his employment.

Wake up America and smell the nigger&#33
;

T.N.
B.

Back