Nig sentence to deaf fo' muder of whitewoman

Tyrone N. Butts

APE Reporter

20051220_010858_CD20_harlan2.jpg

20051220_010844_CD20_harlan1.jpg

Killer Harlan gets life without parole

Brighton - A man who kidnapped, raped and murdered a woman in 1994 was sentenced Monday to life in prison without parole.

Robert Harlan was originally sentenced to death by an Adams County jury in 1995 for the murder of Rhonda Maloney, 25. But Harlan escaped execution after the Colorado Supreme Court upheld a ruling that jurors in the case improperly consulted the Bible during deliberation.

"It could be said you may have avoided the death penalty by a technicality," Adams County District Judge Scott Crabtree told Harlan.

But
he said his hands were tied and the sentence he imposed was "mandated" by the judicial system.

"I have no discretion here," Crabtree said.

Maloney's sister, Kerri Gemeinhardt, said she's disappointed Harlan won't be put to death.

"I'm unhappy that he didn't get the death sentence," Gemeinhardt said after the hearing. "But as long as he never gets out, I'm satisfied. He'll never be able to do it to anyone else."

Bob Grant, the former Adams County district attorney who prosecuted the original case, told the court Monday that a life sent
ence &qu
ot;is no
t what the citizens of Adams County" wanted for Harlan.
</span>

"It's a ... shame the (death penalty) verdict will not be carried out," Grant said after the hearing.

Kathleen Lord, Harlan's defense attorney, said the Colorado Supreme Court's ruling is correct and justice is served.

"An eye for an eye is not the law of Colorado," Lord said, referring
to the jury's use of the Old Testament. "It was a serious error of the law. It was not right."

Gemeinhardt said she felt the jury did nothing wrong and the death sentence should have been carried out.

Meanwhile, she still grieves for her sister.

<span style=\'color:red\'>"I miss her every day," Gemeinhardt said. "It is never going to go away."

Spucking fee
chless!
Wake up America and smell the nigger.

T.N.B.

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME...47-c589c01ca7bf

09f2d8e3-0abe-421a-01de-62ac871963ff.jpg

Convicted killer gets life after Bible dispute
posted by: Dan Werner Web producer

Created: 12/19/2005 8:01 PM MST - Updated: 12/19/2005 8:11 PM MST

DENVER - Convicted killer Robert Harlan was officially re-sentenced to life in prison Monday after having his death sentence overturned because a juror consulted the Bible during deliberations.

In March, the Colorado Supreme Court upheld a lower court's ruling that a jury went beyond evidence at his trial for the 1994 kidnapping, rapi

ng and slaying of cocktail waitress Rhonda Maloney, 25

The U.S. Supreme Court in October r
efused without comment to consider reinstating Harlan's death sentence. Prosecutors had said Harlan would likely be re-sentenced to life in prison.

In re-sentencing Harlan Monday, Adams County District Court Judge Scott Crabtree said his hands were tied and the sentence he imposed was "mandated" by the judicial system.

"It could be said you may have avoided the death penalty by a technicality," he told Harlan.

"I have no discretion here," Crabtree said.

Maloney's sister, Kerri Gemeinhardt, said she's disappointed.

"I'm unhappy that he didn't get the death sentence," Gemeinhardt said after the court hearing. "But as long as he never gets out I'm satisfied."

Harlan was convicted in 1995 of kidnapping, raping and murdering Maloney. He also was convicted of shooting an
d pa
raly
zing Jaquie Creazzo, a motorist who tried to help Maloney escape from Harlan.

Creazzo was wounded after she pulled over and Maloney jumped into her car. Creazzo, who was drivin
g toward a police station, crashed after she was wounded by several shots fired into her car. Harlan then pulled Maloney out of Creazzo's car.

"It's a damn shame the (death penalty) verdict will not be carried out," Bob Grant, the former Adams County District Attorney who prosecuted the original case, said after the hearing.

Kathleen Lord, Harlan's defense attorney, said the Colorado Supreme Court's ruling is correct and justice is served.

"An eye for an eye is not the law of Colorado," Lord said, referring to the jury's use of the Old Testament.

"It was a serious error of the law," she said. "It was not right."

Back