4646230_BG5.jpg

Loretha Porter
4646230_BG4.jpg

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4646230&nav=2CSf

Former County Employee Goes on Shooting Spree
March 18, 2006, 08:54 PM CST
Prominent Attorney Killed
Man in Custody After Fatal Shooting

PORT GIBSON, Miss., (AP) -- The attorney for the Claiborne County Board of Supervisor
s was gunned down Friday and at least one other person was wounded during a shooting spree by an apparent disgruntled former county employee, officials said.

Sheriff Frank Davis said Carl Brandon,
a former road manager, surrendered after the fatal shooting of Allen Burrell, 54, and the wounding of county employee Loretha Porter.

Davis said the investigation was ongoing and charges were being prepared.

Family members and others said Burrell, an attorney for about 30 years and board attorney since the mid-1980s, was shot in the face outside his law office in downtown Port Gibson.

Authorities said Porter, a secretary for the county road department, was taken by helicopter to the University Medical Center in Jackson, where she was reported in stable condition.

Police said Brandon sat in a vehicle outside Burrell's downtown law office, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Officers said after the fatal shot, Br
andon drove to the home of Claiborne County administrator James Miller and fired shots into the house. Miller was not injured.

Miller said he was alone at home preparing for work when the first shot was fired about 7:50 a.m.

"At first, I thought it
was a utility transformer and I didn't pay much attention. But then the shots came in rapid succession and I said, 'Something is wrong and I got on the floor and crawled to the middle of the house."'

Miller said he did not see the shooter drive away but that several of his neighbors reported seeing the vehicle.

County Chancery Clerk Gloria Dotson said residents here were in shock.

"The board attorney didn't make it," Dotson said. "He was a really good guy."

State Insurance Commissioner George Dale said he had worked with Burrell during dealings with the county supervisors on fire protection issues and "he was extremely helpful and was very prof
essional in this office's dealing with him. This is just a tragedy."

Celebrate Diversity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hire niggers and this is what you get!!!! I have no sympathy anymore for crimes like this!! We have a nigger plague and we throw them jobs they could never get on merit alone and then we reap the consequences. Have your diverse workforce, America. THis is how niggers repay your misplaced and stupid kindness. They rape, rob and murder you. Deal with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gman

PS. Of course, hang the boon involved here.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...357/1002/NEWS01

Accused shooter denied bond

PORT GIBSON --A man accused in a shooting rampage that left the Claiborne County supervisors' attorney dead and a county employee wounded was denied bond Tuesday.

Carl Brandon, 52, had no attorney during his initial appearance before a Justice Court judge.

"I've been made a criminal through the system here," Brandon told the judge.

"And I would just like to ask that the media representatives go check the record of these allegations. I think you will find that the person just trumped up something and the Board of Supervisors just took it and ran with it."

He entered pleas of innocent
to charges of murder, aggravated assault and shooting into an occupied home.

Authorities said Bran
don confronted Allen Burrell, 54, who was attorney for the Board of Supervisors, outside Burrell's office on March 17 and killed him with a shotgun.

Brandon also was accused of shooting into the home of County Administrator James Miller and then wounding Loretha Porter, an administrative assistant in the road department, who was at work in a county building.

Porter has been released from the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, a spokesman said Tuesday.

The county fired Brandon nine years ago following an investigation into allegations he had sexually harassed a woman employee.

Brandon denied the allegation and appealed, unsuccessfully, through the court system, leading to a Supreme Court decision in 2002.

District Attorney Alexander Martin told the judge prosecutors opposed setting bond.

"We believe this defend
ant may be a danger to other people in the community, a danger to the community as a whole and a danger to himself," Martin said.

Lucas said a bond hearing could
be held once Brandon acquired an attorney.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=4662660&nav=2CSf

Bond Denied for Accused Shooter

Carl Brandon

Loretha Porter

PORT GIBSON, Miss. (AP) -- A man accused in a shooting rampage that left the Claiborne County supervisors' attorney dead and injured a county employee was denied bond Tuesday. Carl Brandon, 52, had no attorney during his initial court appearance before Justice Court Judge Daniel Lucas.

Brandon, the county's former road manager, said he was wrongly fired in 1997.

"I've been made a criminal through the system here," Brandon told the judge. "And I would just like to ask that the media representatives go check the record of these allegations. I think you will find that the person just trumped up something
and the board of supervisors just took it and ran with it."

He entered pleas of innocent to charges
of murder, aggravated assault and shooting into an occupied home.

Authorities said Brandon confronted Allen Burrell, 54, who was attorney for the board of supervisors, outside Burrell's office on March 17 and killed him with a shotgun.

Brandon also was accused of shooting into the home of County Administrator James Miller and then wounding Loretha Porter, an administrative assistant in the road department, who was at work in a county building.

Porter has been released from the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, a spokesman said Tuesday.

Brandon was fired by the county nine years ago after an investigation into allegations that he had sexually harassed a woman employee. Brandon denied the allegation and appealed, unsuccessfully, through the court system, leading to a Supreme Court decision in 2002.

Distric
t Attorney Alexander Martin told the judge that prosecutors opposed setting bond.

"We believe this defendant may be a danger to other people in the communi
ty, a danger to the community as a whole and a danger to himself," Martin said.

Lucas said a bond hearing could be held once Brandon acquired an attorney.

Back