NYC dad called 911 after allegedly mowing down, stabbing estranged wife: ‘I think I killed my wife’

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004

NYC dad called 911 after allegedly mowing down, stabbing estranged wife: ‘I think I killed my wife’​

By
Kyle Schnitzer and

Jack Lynch

December 28, 2022 3:26pm
Updated

The Queens man who allegedly ran down his estranged spouse with an SUV — and then stabbed her — called the cops himself and told them, “I think I killed my wife,” prosecutors said in court Wednesday.
When officers arrived on Parsons Boulevard early Tuesday, Stephen Giraldo, 36, allegedly told them, “I hit my wife — arrest me.”
An 11-year MTA employee, Giraldo wore a white Tyvek jumpsuit and a face mask when he made his first appearance before Judge Scott Dunn in Queens Criminal Court.
He kept his bald head down as Assistant District Attorney Audra Beerman told the judge that the couple’s three children were in the car during the ordeal, with the oldest, 11-year-old Stephen, sitting in the front seat.
Moments before Giraldo allegedly struck his wife, he told the kids, “Everyone keep your seatbelts on,” Beerman said.
[IMG alt="Queens man, Stephen Giraldo, turned himself in to the police after allegedly running over his wife and stabbing her.
"]https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/12/stephen-giraldo-queens-026-1.jpg?w=1024[/IMG]
Queens man Stephen Giraldo turned himself in to the police after allegedly running over his wife and stabbing her. Wayne Carrington
Giraldo, a Queens resident who works as a bus driver, had parked across the street from her Flushing home and called their mom — 41-year-old Sophia Giraldo — and told her to come down.
When she approached the car, he sped up and hit her so hard, she flew over the fence, Beerman said.
His white Ford Explorer then struck a wrought-iron fence and fell onto the driver’s side.
The deranged dad then climbed over his son, crawled out the passenger window, walked to where Sophia was lying, and stabbed her twice beneath the right breast, Beerman said.

1 of 3

Assistant District Attorney Audra Beerman told the judge that the couple’s three children were in the car during the ordeal, with the oldest sitting in the front seat.
Assistant District Attorney Audra Beerman told a judge that the couple’s three children were in the car during the ordeal, with the oldest sitting in the front seat. G.N.Miller/NYPost

When wife Sophia Giraldo approached Stephen’s car, he sped up and hit her so hard she flew over the fence, said Attorney according to attorney Beerman.
When wife Sophia Giraldo approached Stephen’s car, he allegedly sped up and hit her so hard she flew over the fence. G.N.Miller/NYPost

Advertisement

He ditched the knife on the side of the house, where police later found it.

He stayed at the scene until the cops arrived, which is when he allegedly confessed to the brutal attack.

Sophia — a life coach and domestic abuse survivor — remains in critical condition, prosecutors said. She suffered severe neurological damage, as well as broken bones in her leg and a stab wound that punctured her liver.

She may be severely neurologically incapacitated if she pulls through, Beerman said.

Sophia Giraldo seen in an undated Facebook photo. After running her over, the deranged husband walked to where Sophia was lying and “stabbed her twice beneath the right breast,” Beerman said. Instagram/Sophia Giraldo He stayed at the scene until the cops arrived, which is when he allegedly confessed to the brutal attack.Giraldo stayed at the scene until the cops arrived, which is when he allegedly confessed to the brutal attack.Wayne Carrington
Friends and family are taking care of the kids, who are ages 11, 9 and 6. They were not hurt in the accident.

Authorities have charged Giraldo with attempted murder, assault, weapons possession, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child. If convicted, he faces up to 25 years in prison.

His attorney, Mary Beth Anderson, requested he be released on bail. But Dunn refused, instead remanding Giraldo to custody, where he is on suicide watch.

“The brutality of the attack, and the fact that it was committed in full view of the victim’s three young children, stirs heartbreak and outrage in all of us,” Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz said in a statement.

Sophia Giraldo seen in an undated Facebook photo. Sophia is a life coach and a domestic abuse survivor, prosecutors said. Instagram/Sophia Giraldo
“My thoughts are with the children.”

Sophia runs a life coaching business that helps victims of domestic abuse and has described herself as a survivor of betrayal, trauma and abuse. She had filed for divorce in August, according to court records.

Just days before the attack, she spoke about what she called her toxic marriage on her podcast, “Unfiltered and Free.”

Sophia Giraldo seen in an undated Facebook photo. Sophia Giraldo suffered severe neurological damage, as well as broken bones in her leg and a stab wound that punctured her liver, said prosecutors. Instagram/Sophia Giraldo
“I’ve just been thinking about my expectation and how as a result of trauma I tend to expect the negative,” Giraldo, who is currently at New York-Presbyterian Queens Hospital, said in the most recent episode. “I tend to expect the worst thing to happen, the worst-case scenario. You know, all those things. And I want my new year to look different.”

A group of MTA workers who showed up at the scene Tuesday described Stephen as a good guy who was going through a terrible divorce.

Stephen’s brother, Jonathan Giraldo, echoed this when he told The Post that his sibling was a good man and the podcast wasn’t accurate.

Stephen Giraldo, (pictured) at his arraignment in Queens Criminal Court.Stephen Giraldo, an 11-year MTA employee, will remain suspended without pay until the investigation is over, the MTA said. Gregory P. Mango
“They were working through some issues,” Jonathan said. “He was trying to work things out with her. My brother is nothing like that. He’s a gentle, sweet guy.”

Stephen Giraldo will remain suspended without pay until the investigation is over, the MTA said.

Back