NYC dad killed in ‘home invasion’ may have been murdered by daughter: sources​

By
Joe Marino,

Larry Celona,

Craig McCarthy and

Reuven Fenton

December 29, 2022 10:39am
Updated

A Brooklyn dad of two was stabbed to death in his apartment Thursday in what cops initially said was a home invasion — but turned out to be a murder committed allegedly by his own daughter, sources told The Post.
Sources said Carlo Secondino’s 22-year-old transgender daughter, Nikki, is believed to have concocted the tall tale about a break-in at the family’s Bensonhurst home in order to cover her tracks.
Police initially said two robbers broke into the family’s home on 17th Avenue near 82nd Street at around 6 a.m., demanded money from a safe and stabbed to death the 61-year-old dad and slashed his two daughters. Cops said there was no safe in the home.
Nikki’s sister, Liana, 19, was rushed to Maimonides Hospital, where she was in critical condition, while the father died at the scene, according to police.
Nikki was taken to NYU Langone Hospital — but later brought to the NYPD’s 62nd Precinct and charged with murder, attempted murder and weapons possession.
Carlo Secondino was killed in the attack.Carlo Secondino was killed in the attack inside his Bensonhurst home.Facebook/Carlo Secondino
The girls’ dad had begged the family’s neighbor to “call the cops” shortly after he was stabbed, according to the neighbor who said she saw him covered in blood.
“He was lying on the kitchen floor, blood all over his chest, completely all saturated and red. He was just lying there not moving,” Susie Lew, 61, told The Post of the scene in the Secondinos’ apartment Thursday morning.
Nikki banged on Lew’s door before 6 a.m. crying for help after Lew had heard what sounded like an altercation from down the hall.
“I was woken up. It sounded like body-wrestling going on inside the house, like two people fighting,” recalled Lew, who lives next door to the family.
“Her bloody fingerprints are all over my door from when she was banging on the door, hoping I would open it. And then when she stopped the banging and I didn’t hear any more movement in the hallway, I slowly opened my door and heard the father yell my name out — ‘Susie, call the cops!’ ”
Carlo and Liana Secondino are seen in a Facebook photo. The father and daughter were allegedly stabbed during a home invasion in Brooklyn early Thursday, Dec. 29, 2022.Carlo and Liana Secondino. The 19-year-old is in critical condition after the stabbing that killed her father.Facebook/Carlo Secondino
Lew said she later heard Nikki on a phone call in the hallway claim the family had been robbed by masked intruders who had stabbed the trio.
Cops arrived to find Carlo and his younger daughter with multiple stab wounds, the NYPD reported. Nikki only had wounds on her hands, the department said.
Neighbors and sources said the family had a history of violence.
Police were called to the family’s home several times this year on reports of domestic violence, sources said — including on July 15, when the dad was accused of threatening to kill Liana, and on Sept. 19 when he allegedly slapped Nikki.
In a third incident, on July 14, Liana was charged with assault and criminal mischief after ripping off their apartment’s window blinds during a dispute with Nikki, according to police sources.
The transgender daughter of Carlo Secondino is a suspect in his fatal stabbing.Carlo Secondino’s transgender daughter Nikki is a suspect in his fatal stabbing.Instagram/Nikki Secondino
Nikki discussed transitioning from male to female in YouTube videos — and it’s a journey her dad supported, said Yadira Gomez, who co-owns Mike’s Diner where Carlo was a deliveryman.
But Carlo seemed distracted by “family issues” he was reluctant to discuss, according to Gomez.
“I know that there was always fights. He was always working here all day, but during the day he would always say she’s crazy, she’s got some issues, problems, she doesn’t want to work,” Gomez told The Post on Thursday.
“She was fighting him yesterday and he told the other girl, ‘Go to your friend’s house. Don’t stay here,’ because he was worried.”
Police at the crime sceneSecondino’s 22-year-old daughter may have concocted the fatal break-in, according to sources.Seth Gottfried

1 of 3

Police at the crime scene
The victim’s two daughters were also stabbed. Seth Gottfried

Police at the crime scene
The account of robbers breaking in may be made up, according to police. Seth Gottfried

Secondino’s Facebook page includes several photos and posts where he expresses love for both of his daughters.

“These girls were abandoned by their mom when they were little, so he was the only one there as a mother figure and father figure,” Gomez said. “Everybody loved that guy here. It’s a big loss for everybody. He would work. He never said no to nothing, helped everybody.”

Additional reporting by David Meyer

Back