NZ: "Polynesian" on trial for claw hammer attack

Brewski

Registered

REF: NZherald, 12/3/05: Hammer man adds insult to injury (complete article at link)

A truck driver beaten senseless with a claw hammer in a vicious road-rage attack faced his assailant in court yesterday and came out feeling "gutted".

Barry Fletcher still limps from the attack in August in which Toma Lauaki, 35, climbed into the cab of his truck in Mangere and rained blows with the hammer, before dragging Mr Fletcher from the cab. It was all caught on security camera.

Toma Lauaki (left) and Barry Fletcher
toma6dx.jpg

Mr Fletcher was at the Manukau District Court yesterday with his wife, Kara, expecting Lauaki to be sentenced for causing his

broken ankle, broken left wrist and gashes to the bone on his right leg, which saw him admitted to hospital.

Ins
tead he had his driving skills called into question.

Mr Hogan said Lauaki was provoked into attacking Mr Fletcher because of his driving and Mr Fletcher's former boss would say he had run-ins with other drivers before.

Lauaki had earlier admitted assaulting Mr Fletcher with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Judge McAuslan said sentencing could only continue on the basis that Lauaki honestly believed Mr Fletcher had wronged him.

She said she did not believe Lauaki's version that Mr Fletcher had cut him off so bluntly that he was forced to mount the kerb.

"His version is completely different to that of the victim," she said, adding that no accident was seen and no damage was done to Lauaki's car.

She said calling Mr Fletcher's previous employer was an attempt to demean his reputation without giving him any w
arni
ng o
r right to defend himself.

Mr Fletcher said he knew of one complaint against him while he was working at PBT but refused to detail it. He said he felt am
bushed.

-----------------------------

REF: Tvnz.co.nz 12/1/05:

Hammer attacker gets five years jail

NEWS VIDEO OF ASSAULT AT ABOVE LINK, "Vicious road attack in Auckland".

:angry:

From tvnz.co.nz (3/2/06):
Sentence reduced for hammer attacker
</span>
An Auckland man jailed for attacking a truck driver with a hammer has had his sentence reduced.

Toma Lauaki was jailed for five years after a road rage attack in August last year. The attack, caught on tape by security cameras, left truck driver Barry Fletcher with serious injuries.

Sad, wronged NZ nigger, Toma Lauaki:
toma3hj.jpg

But in an appeal to the High Court, Lauaki claimed he was provoked <!--/
colorc-->and said the length of the sentence was excessive.

In a written decision released on Thursday, Justice Hansen has reduced the sentence of five years. He says Lauaki was not given full credit
for a number of mitigating factors.

<span style="color:#3333ff">Credit for "mitigating factors"?! This is New Zealand progressive jurisprudence at its best! :angry:

His sentence has been slashed to three and a half years imprisonment.

Scratch the surface and you'll find the real villain - the evil white man. On the other hand Lauaki has been portrayed as a church-going family man who only so happened to have a hammer in his glove box. With home detention it is expected he'll be out by next February.

Man, I'd hate to think of how much time an NNN reader would get if he/she drew back on a nigger with a hammer.

Just witnessed TNB car rage. Actually it involved a Pacific Islander a la Lauaki but they share so much in common with niggers it is sometimes difficult to distinguish and a white motorist. In this particular instance the white was in the right - but that didn't stope the obese ape from getting out of his car - opening the door of the other car and hurling abuse. The white hurled some back. I stayed to watch. In the end the nigger jumped back in his car and took off at speed. In part though I would blame the white. We know that whites don't really figure too high on the totem pole of wondrous beings in New Zealand - pelting a European doesn't really seem to be such an awful crime. The white should have taken notice of that fact - its quite clear from reading any newspaper. When I got home I found my niece and boyfriend there. Somehow they didn't really relate to m
y TNB story. I guess they tho
ught I was far too mean to our coloured friends.

Back