ODD CASE: Youth accused of murdering Logan Mwangi shouted 'I like to punch kids in the head, it's orgasmic', court told - live updates

Arheel's Uncle

Senior Reporter

Youth accused of murdering Logan Mwangi shouted 'I like to punch kids in the head, it's orgasmic', court told - live updates​

Logan Mwangi, five, was found dead in the Ogmore River near Pandy Park in Bridgend last year. Three people are on trial at Cardiff Crown Court accused of his murder

By
Philip DeweyCourt Correspondent
  • Updated19:12, 23 MAR 2022
News
0_LOgan-222.png
Logan Mwangi (main image) and (inset) his mother Angharad Williamson and her partner John Cole

A teenager accused of murdering a five-year-old shouted "I like to punch kids in the head, it’s orgasmic," a court has heard.

Cardiff Crown Court heard the youth was alleged to have made the remarks while on remand ahead of his trial.

Logan was was found dead last year in a river not far from his home in Bridgend . Prosecutors said he had suffered extreme and catastrophic injuries usually found in car crash victims.

Logan's mother Angharad Williamson, 30, of Lower Llansantffraid, Sarn, Bridgend, and stepdad John Cole, 40, of Maesglas, Ynysawdre, Bridgend, deny his murder. The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons due to his age, has also pleaded not guilty to murder and all are on trial at Cardiff Crown Court.

Read more: Go here to read all the latest stories from the courts in Wales

On Wednesday, jurors heard evidence a number of statements read into the record - including those who were involved the youth's care after he had been arrested.

One witness said upon first meeting the youth, he told the witness to “f*** off”. They added the defendant would adopt a “baby voice” if he was about to be reprimanded or “wanted to play the victim”.

That witness also gave details about the evening of August 14, 2021, when the youth was told to go to bed but began "playing up".

While in bed, he was said to have shouted “I love kids, I f****** love kids, I like to punch kids in the head, it’s orgasmic”.

The witness said: “(The youth) shouted it with determination and with no particular melody. He wanted us to know what he was singing about.”

Another support worker said she had heard the youth shouting "Where are the kids? I want to kill all the kids".

And another worker at the unit, said the youth had told her "I did some bad stuff but I’m not allowed to talk about it".

She also said the youth would revert to a “baby voice” if he thought he was going to be reprimanded."

The court also heard a statement from a teacher at the youth's school.

They said: “I was on my way to lessons and as I was going to class I saw (the youth) repeatedly punching another boy in the midriff area. I approached (the youth) and told him to stop. He shouted ‘No, he’s an a**hole’. He eventually stopped.”

All three defendants are also accused of perverting the course of justice, including moving Logan’s body to the river near Pandy Park, removing his clothing, washing bloodstained bed linen, and making a false missing person report to police.

Williamson and the youth pleaded not guilty to both offences while Cole denied murder but admitted perverting the course of justice. Williamson and Cole were also charged with causing or allowing the death of a child, which they both denied.

The trial, expected to last around eight weeks, continues.

Back