Officials track down (Hispanic) man wanted in fatal wreck 15 years later

U

Unregistered

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/fficials-track-down-man-wanted-fatal-wreck-15-year/np4gT/

Officials track down man wanted in fatal wreck 15 years later

MiguelGarcia.jpg

Miguel Garcia
CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. —
A driver in custody Wednesday is accused of a wrong-way crash in Catawba County that killed a man 15 years ago on Highway 321 south of Hickory.
TonySetliffII.jpg

Tony Setliff II, who died in the crash, was a passenger in the car that was stuck. The head-on crash happened in February 2000 in the northbound lanes of Highway 321.
Setliff’s wife told Channel 9 at the time that the father of a 3-year-old and 6-month-old had given her flowers hours before the accident for Valentine’s Day.
"When you drink and drive and there's a death involved, I think that's a lesson in itself. Death is permanent,” Cathy Setliff said.
For the past 15 years, Gary McClelland worked the case for the North Carolina Highway Patrol even after retiring two years ago.
He said the driver of the other car, Miguel Garcia, who was heading the wrong way on Highway 321, had a blood alcohol level of .13. But Garcia, who was also injured in the wreck, left the hospital and disappeared before he could be charged.
"I want to finally retire knowing that he will face justice. You can't just go kill someone and leave," McClelland said.
During the last week, an analyst with the FBI investigating unsolved homicides found Garcia living under a different name near Los Angeles where he was arrested.
District Attorney David Learner is already reviewing the 2000 case file in Catawba County. He said prosecutors will be ready when he is brought back here to face charges for DWI and death by motor vehicle. He hopes the case brings closure for the family.
"I think it is unfortunate that it has been an open wound for them for all these years. But it is our intention to bring this man back from California and to see justice is done,” Learner said.
A friend of the victim said Wednesday afternoon that he was thrilled to hear news of the arrest. Channel 9 learned Miguel Garcia waived extradition Wednesday morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back