Philadelphia’s 99th Mayor Says He’s Not ‘Progressive’

The Bobster

Senior News Editor since 2004
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/12/31/philadelphias-99th-mayor-says-hes-not-progressive/

Philadelphia’s 99th Mayor Says He’s Not ‘Progressive’
December 31, 2015 3:59 PM

kenney-speaks.jpg

Banana Nose Kenney speaking at an event in November. (credit: CBS 3)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Philadelphia Mayor-elect Jim Kenney bristles at the label “progressive.” :rolleyes:

“How about fairness?” he said in a recent interview. “When you know something’s unfair, it’s unfair. :rolleyes: There are certain things that you have to acknowledge are the case and then work to fix them.”

Jim Kenney is not African-American but few white politicians are as comfortable discussing issues of inequality, mass incarceration and policing. The 57-year-old Irish-American, South Philly native’s positions have earned him comparisons with New York Mayor Bill de Blasio.

Kenney, 57, says poverty will be his top issue when he takes office Monday as the 99th mayor of the nation’s poorest big city.

He will succeed Philadelphia’s third black mayor, Michael Nutter. Kenney’s November election is credited, in part, to strong support from the black community — something Kenney says he considers a “huge responsibility” as he prepares to take office.

“I have to provide things that will give people an equal footing when it comes to their future development and success and the reaching of their potential,” he said.

That includes his pledge to bring universal pre-K to the city and creating more jobs, including for former felons. :mad:

In the two decades he served as a city councilman before his election in November, Kenney worked on inequality, as well as immigration, gay rights and criminal justice reform. Kenney points to his Irish roots and Jesuit upbringing as the influences that make him sensitive to these issues.

As mayor, Kenney said he is ready to do more.

Soon after he was elected, he traveled to Cincinnati to learn about that city’s community schools model, which would bring a variety of services — from nutrition to healthcare to mental health resources — under one building. He also wants to close the city’s biggest jail and said he has no plans to build a new one.

Kenney also cited as a priority improving relations between citizens and the Philadelphia Police Department, which will get department veteran Richard Ross as its new leader when outgoing chief Charles Ramsey retires as Nutter leaves office.

“I understand white privilege,” :rolleyes: Kenney said. “I’ve never been stopped and frisked. The only reason why I haven’t been is because I’m a white man, period. :rolleyes: I can’t get offended or mean or mad about it. Give it to me, and we’ll try to work our way through it.”

Kenney said that in some districts, the police-community relationship is a good one, but he worries that Philadelphia could be the next Ferguson, Missouri — where a white police officer’s fatal shooting of an unarmed black man caused unrest.

“I’m concerned about it every day,” Kenney said, adding that he wants a more diverse police force and would like to see training for all officers on civil rights history. :mad:

Kenney said he has been doing a lot of listening in the weeks since his election, holding town halls and chatting up people on the subway — which he has promised to keep taking as mayor.

“It is the best way to stay in touch with people,” Kenney said of riding SEPTA, the city’s public transit system. “I think people appreciate the fact that you don’t think you’re any better than they are, ’cause I don’t and I’m not. And I’ve done public life before, but I haven’t been the mayor before.”

It’s the kind of plain-speaking and straight-talking locals got accustomed to through his Twitter account, though citizens should expect a kinder Kenney on social media going forward.

“I’ve learned that if I’m going to tweet, it needs to be something positive,” he said sheepishly. “There’s a certain level of dignity you need to maintain — even me.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Philadelphia’s 99th Mayor Says He’s Not ‘Progressive’

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/01/04/mayor-executive-orders/

Kenney Signs Series Of Executive Orders On His First Day As Mayor
January 4, 2016 5:51 PM
By Kim Glovas

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia’s new Mayor, Jim Kenney, got down to business Monday afternoon, signing five executive orders.

The first four were the official announcement of cabinet positions. The fifth one, however, will have the most lasting impact on one sector of the city’s population.

“Executive order 5-16, which states that authorities will not cooperate with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainment requests.”

Former Mayor Nutter had initially made Philadelphia a sanctuary city in 2014, but he rescinded that order late in his administration. Erika Almeron is with Juntos, a Latino immigrant organization.

“We’re super excited. Kenney was one of the first people to really meet with Juntos on getting Nutter to sign the first executive order. He was behind it from the beginning.” :mad:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/02/04/mayor-kenney-helps-launch-immigrant-innovation-hub/

Mayor Kenney Helps Launch ‘Immigrant Innovation Hub’
February 4, 2016 10:27 PM By Kristen Johanson

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — The mayor of Philadelphia helped launch a new collaborative initiative Thursday night in Mount Airy that supports immigrants who want to expand their businesses. The Immigrant Innovation Hub will serve as a low-cost, cooperative workspace for immigrant business owners to get a hold of much-needed resources. Commie Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney says it’s a one-stop shop, “give them the opportunity to network, trade business cards, get advice on financing, get advice on running a business.”

Several community partners will support the hub with everything from loan advice to one-on-one coaching. Kenney says he hopes similar spaces open in other parts of the city. “We have to grow our population, which is what immigration helps us do :mad:, and we have to be as diverse a community as we possibly can :mad:,” he said.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-director-of-office-of-black-male-engagement/

Phila. Mayor Appoints Director Of Office Of Black Male Engagement
February 12, 2016 5:05 PM By Pat Loeb
By Pat Loeb

img_4229.jpg

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney has appointed a new director of the Office of Black Male Engagement.

Community College professor Jack Drummond will lead the office, which was created under the Nutter administration, one of several efforts to improve opportunities for African-American men :mad:, who statistics show are disproportionately poor, unemployed, undereducated, unhealthy and incarcerated. Drummond admits it’s a daunting challenge.

“I am quite understanding and alarmed by the statistics. However, I’m also a person who believes that persistence, making sure that we educate ourselves around those particular aspects and areas, that change can come,” said Drummond.

Drummond will also help another effort to level the playing field for black males, the Philadelphia chapter of My Brother’s Keeper.

There’s also another initiative in the works to ask voters to make a Commission on African-American males part of city government.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/03/03/philadelphia-mayor-budget/

Phila. Mayor Delivers First Budget Address
March 3, 2016 12:46 PM By Pat Loeb
By Pat Loeb

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia commie Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney has introduced a budget that he himself described as “serious, radical and ambitious.”

As the mayor told it, this budget has been a long time coming.

“I’ve been listening to budget addresses in this chamber for over two decades and while we’ve had great mayors who’ve done many important things, the core challenge facing our city hasn’t changed and that’s just unacceptable,” said Kenney.

The Mayor presented his budget as essentially an anti-poverty measure, promoting universal pre-K, community schools, and reinvigorated parks, rec centers and libraries.

He became emotional talking about meeting at Vare Rec Center with parents of murder victims.

“And I couldn’t help but think, if we had the resources to make Vare a center of the community, these parents wouldn’t even be here. They’d be in the next room watching their kids play basketball,” said Kenney. :rolleyes:

The Mayor proposed paying for all his initiatives with a three cent an ounce tax on sugary beverages, something he made it clear he was prepared to fight for.

“We can give our citizens all those things with just one tax and I know that one tax can make some very wealthy and very powerful people very upset :rolleyes:, but I’ve seen this council take on special interests before and I know together we can do it again,” said Kenney.

Supporters packed council, applauding even for the tax measure, but the proposals have a long road ahead.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...akes-on-toomey-on-eve-of-sanctuary-city-vote/

Philly Mayor Takes On Toomey On Eve Of Sanctuary City Vote
July 5, 2016 9:27 PM

kenney1.jpg

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney is taking on U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, saying Tuesday that the Republican’s criticism of his city’s sanctuary status is fearmongering in line with GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump’s stances on immigrants. :mad:

Kenney’s shot at Toomey on Tuesday came a day before the U.S. Senate is scheduled to vote on a Toomey bill that would withhold certain federal grants from sanctuary cities.

Toomey is using Philadelphia’s sanctuary city status as a wedge issue against Democratic challenger Katie McGinty in his bid for second term in the November election.

“Senator Toomey’s bill is pulled straight from Donald Trump’s anti-immigrant :mad: playbook,” Kenney said in a statement.

The issue of sanctuary cities is one of several — along with gun control, immigration and police access to surplus military gear — that are being tied to crime and terrorism and injected into Pennsylvania’s closely watched race for U.S. Senate.

Toomey has said that sanctuary city policies like Philadelphia’s make it harder to stop terrorism, illegal immigration or violent crimes. Toomey also has said that Philadelphia police officials privately oppose Kenney’s policy, and that it was not always the policy adopted by Kenney’s predecessors as mayor.

“I love Philadelphia, but Mayor Kenney’s reversal of the policies favored by Mayors Nutter and Rendell is putting Pennsylvanians in danger, including those who live in the city and in the rest of the state,” Toomey said in a statement.

Kenney, a Democrat, said Toomey’s claims about Philadelphia are wrong.

Philadelphia cooperates with the federal government in cases where terrorism is suspected, federal charges are filed or first- or second-degree felonies are committed, Kenney said.

Toomey’s claims to the contrary “are nothing more than fearmongering to further his re-election campaign,” Kenney said.

Toomey’s bill was not expected to pass, after similar legislation failed last year to reach the Senate’s 60-vote threshold to move to a final vote.

Kenney’s administration has said that evidence suggests that sanctuary cities are possibly safer than those that cooperate with immigration authorities because immigrants are not afraid to report crimes or otherwise cooperate with the police.

His administration also maintains that a long-standing immigration policy of issuing detainers has unfairly damaged the lives of otherwise law-abiding people who were stopped for things like nuisance crimes.

Federal immigration detention requests, or “detainers,” have been successfully challenged in court by critics who say they indiscriminately target immigrants, including many innocent of criminal wrongdoing.

Undocumented immigrants arrested for less serious crimes in Philadelphia would not be detained or reported to the federal government, a Kenney spokeswoman said, unless federal authorities presented a judicial warrant requesting their detention.

On Tuesday, McGinty released a letter to Kenney urging him to do more to cooperate with the federal government to ensure “that violent criminals, suspected terrorists or others who pose a threat are apprehended and prosecuted.”

McGinty also blamed Congress and Toomey for failing to fix the nation’s immigration system and failing to provide adequate support to local law enforcement.

A Kenney spokeswoman said Tuesday that the administration has asked for more discussion with the federal government after a May visit by Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson. But, she said, it will take more from the federal authorities to undo the damage of abusive federal immigration policies.

Republicans have pushed for action against sanctuary cities since last July when 32-year-old Kathryn Steinle was shot and killed in San Francisco.

The man charged in the killing was in the country illegally despite a long criminal record and multiple prior deportations. He had been released by San Francisco authorities despite a request from federal immigration authorities to keep him detained.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...in-Catholics-Are-Not-Christian-385779921.html

Philly Mayor Says Archibishop Chaput's Communion/Sex Guidelines For Certain Catholics 'Are Not Christian'
By Karen Araiza
Published 1 minute ago

Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney, a Catholic, slammed guidance this month from Archbishop Charles Chaput that tells couples viewed as non-traditional by the church they should have sex or be intimate if they want to receive communion.

"Jesus gave us gift of Holy Communion because he so loved us. All of us. Chaput's actions are not Christian," mayor Kenney tweeted Wednesday night.

Kenney's pronouncement was a response to a tweet by self-described LGBT activist Ben Secka:

Chaput's guidelines are a clarification of the pope's "The Joy of Love," a 256-page document on the church's teachings about family.

The Archbishop's interpretation of the document says divorced and civilly remarried Catholics, unmarried couples living together and same-sex couples are welcome in the church, but should "refrain from sexual intimacy" in order to receive Communion.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...ve-especially-to-nazi-victims/#comment-337593

Mayor "Banana Nose" Kenney Calls Cop’s Tattoo ‘Offensive,’ Especially To Nazi Victims
September 1, 2016 5:21 PM

PHILADELPHIA (CBS/AP) — Philadelphia police have started an internal review after a photograph surfaced online of an officer with a tattoo that the mayor calls offensive, especially to veterans and victims of the Nazis.

A tattoo on the uniformed officer’s forearm shows a spread-winged eagle under the word “Fatherland.”

In a statement, the mayor responded to the image by saying:

“The imagery on display in the tweet is disturbing. :rolleyes: I find it incredibly offensive, and I know many others do as well. :rolleyes: This image is particularly offensive to our WWII veterans who fought valiantly to free Europe from Nazi Germany :rolleyes:, as well as all victims of Nazi atrocities. :rolleyes: I understand that the PPD will launch an internal investigation, and that should run its course. In this environment — in which open, honest dialogue between citizens and police is paramount – we need to be building trust, not offering messages or displaying images that destroy trust.”

The Anti-Defamation League says the images have been associated with some neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups but cautions they do not necessarily mean the officer shares such ideologies.

Police don’t have a tattoo policy but say they don’t condone “anything that can be interpreted as offensive, hateful or discriminatory in any form.” :rolleyes:

The officer’s last name is visible on his badge, but police wouldn’t confirm his full name. A call to a man believed to be the officer was not answered.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...enney-for-Doing-a-Terrible-Job-392199811.html

Trump in Philadelphia Calls Out Mayor Kenney for 'Doing a Terrible Job'
By Brian X. McCrone and Lauren Mayk
Published 5 minutes ago

Donald Trump described former Mayor Michael "Snaggletoof" Nutter’s job performance as “terrible” in a tweet last December :D, about a month before Nutter left office.

Trump apparently feels the exact same way about Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney, who succeeded Nutter in January.

In an interview with NBC10 on Friday afternoon, shortly after his closed-door meeting at a church-affiliated hall in North Philadelphia, the Republican presidential nominee twice attacked Kenney for what he emphatically described as “a terrible job” as mayor.

The Wharton Business School graduate cited crime and education as two weak spots for Kenney.

“You look at the way, look, I’m in Philadelphia. I went to school here. I know the city very well. To see how far it’s gone down, the inner cities and the neighborhood where we’re in right now, I can’t even believe it. I mean, the fact is your mayor has done a terrible job,” he said. “Look at your crime statistics. Look at your education statistics. Your mayor has done a terrible job. I don’t the mayor, know not much about him. But the mayor of Philadelphia has done one terrible job.”

Trump did not go into detail about the city’s education and crime. In Kenney’s first eight months in office, his most prominent legislative victory has been pushing through a “soda tax” that will fund the city’s first universal pre-K system. He inherited a city with many neighborhoods still under siege from daily gun violence. Homicides in a calendar year, however, have not surpassed 300 since 2012.

A spokesman for Kenney, Mike Dunn, said the mayor would respond to Trump's stance. But it would take about an hour, he said.

"We like using real facts :rolleyes:," Dunn said.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...f-against-sanctuary-city-bill/#comment-339432

Mayor Kenney Sounds Off Against Sanctuary City Bill
September 21, 2016 7:17 PM

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia is used to taking a beating in Harrisburg from rural and suburban legislators, but Mayor Jim "Banana Nose"Kenney is outraged that a member of the city’s own delegation is sponsoring a bill that would punish her constituents for the sanctuary city policy.

The bill would leave the city open to lawsuits for any damages resulting from crimes committed by “unauthorized aliens” as long as the city maintains its policy of not co-operating with federal authorities in reporting the detention of those here illegally.

When State Representative Martina White, who represents the Northeast, introduced it in March, Mayor Kenney was conciliatory, saying it likely appealed to her Republican base, but when it passed out of committee on Tuesday, he got worried. :eek:

“If this kind of legislation gets passed because of a Republican national election, that’s a disgrace,” the mayor said. :mad:

Kenney accused White of “dogwhistling” on immigration for the Republican nominee at the expense of the people she represents. :rolleyes:

“When you’re talking about taking money away from poor children, children with disabilities, children with mental health problems, then you ought to look at why you’re in office in the first place,” Kenney said.

Representative White could not be reached for comment.

More Opposition Arises Against Sanctuary Policy Bill
September 22, 2016 5:58 PM By Pat Loeb

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — State Representative Martina White came in for more criticism on Thursday over her bill that would punish Philadelphia for its sanctuary policy on immigrants.

This time, the criticism came from members of her own party.

The bill would open the city to lawsuits and withhold state money unless it ends the policy of not reporting the detention of illegal immigrants to federal authorities.

Mayor Banana Nose Kenney says the policy actually increases safety by encouraging immigrants to work with local authorities, and has denounced the bill as dog-whistling for the Republican party.

But city council republicans have joined him. Councilcoolie David Oh introduced a resolution opposing the bill.

“It affects people in Philadelphia, including the district of the bill’s sponsor,” said Oh.

Another Republican, Al Taubenberger, agrees.

“I think it’s wrong to penalize a whole city. You can discuss it, it’s an issue. But on the other hand, being the child of immigrants, I’m very sensitive to their situation,” he said.

White says the sanctuary policy does more damage, citing a recent child rape charge against a man here illegally.

“These are very heinous crimes that illegal immigrant criminals have committed in our city, and our mayor has drawn that element to our city,” said White.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-will-remain-a-sanctuary-city/#comment-343846

Mayor Kenney Vows Philadelphia Will Remain A Sanctuary City
November 11, 2016 7:57 PM By Greg Argos

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney is vowing that Philadelphia will remain a sanctuary city
despite the wishes of President-Elect Donald Trump.

The president-elect has said that he will withhold federal funds from cities that do not cooperate in holding undocumented immigrants in custody for violent crimes.

This could be considered the first rift between Kenney and Trump.

Kenney admits that he does not know exactly what would happen if Trump does decide to withdraw federal funding from the city. Some in Philadelphia’s diverse Latino population are concerned. :eek:

“People are terrified of their livelihood,” said Viviana Ortiz. “People are terrified that they’re going to lose their jobs.” :D

That terror stems from the promise made by Trump, who said that he will remove federal funds from cities that do not cooperate with federal immigration officials in holding undocumented immigrants in custody for non-violent crimes.

They are known as sanctuary cities and Philadelphia is one of them.

“We’re going to continue to protect the people who live in this city :mad:,” Kenney said. “As time goes on after January, what exactly happens and
we’ll adjust and we’ll deal with it as it comes.”

Advocates in the Latino community say federal cuts could impact both documented and undocumented immigrants. “We’re living in chaos,” said Lisa Espinosa, a Latino community advocate. “A lot of out low-income individuals count on these federal grants.” :eek:

Even so, State Representative Martina White said our federal laws need to be enforced, regardless of the mayor’s beliefs. :D

“I think that there needs to be a level of respect for those who come here legally and to our U.S. citizens,” White explained.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14/kenney-hate-crimes-flash-mob-protests/#comment-343956

Mayor Kenney Addresses Hate Crimes, Flash Mob, Protests In Philadelphia
November 14, 2016 8:04 PM By Ray Boyd

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Monday night marked the closing reception for the Philadelphia International Unity Cup. Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney used the platform to address recent hate crimes that have taken place in the area and around the country.

He also discussed Saturday night’s flash mob incident in Center City.

“At a critical moment in our country’s history, you all showed the entire city what can be accomplished when we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our communities,” Kenney said of the international gathering of soccer players. “That is a significant accomplishment, but we cannot stop there.”

Kenney expressed that he understands that following the election, some people are feel angry and afraid, while others are feeling “emboldened by hateful rhetoric.”

During his campaign, President-Elect Donald Trump vowed to immediately deport 2-3 million undocumented immigrants, but in a recent interview Mr. Trump offered words he hoped would sooth all immigrants fears. :rolleyes:

“Don’t be afraid, we are certainly going to bring our country back, but don’t be afraid,” Trump said.

Philadelphia is a sanctuary city, and that means officials will not prosecute a person for being an undocumented immigrant. :mad:

So when asked about what he would do if that stance is threatened by the president, Mayor Jim Kenney says that’s a problem he’ll face when he’s confronted it.

“Kind of step back, take a deep breath, see what happens in January and react from there. So speculating on what President-Elect Trump will or won’t do is something I won’t do. We’ll react as things come,” he said.

Mayor Kenney says, as of late, Mr. Trump has softened his stance on many of his campaign promises, and he hopes he will on this one too. :mad:

“I think sometimes that office will moderate you as an individual and hopefully that’s the case,” said Kenney.

The mayor referenced some of the instances of intimidation that have taken place in our region, including the racist text messages received by black freshmen at Penn.

“Calling someone by any type of slur, defacing a building, or participating in a flash mob, does nothing to help preserve the values of diversity and inclusion that make Philadelphia strong.” Kenney made it clear that individuals who choose to take place in attacks, or damaging property, will be “caught and charged to the fullest.”

He simply does not want this type of behavior in Philadelphia. “Regardless of whether you are committing these crimes or saying these slurs in support of the President-elect or against him, it is not welcome in Philadelphia,” Kenney said.

Kenney also addressed the protesters who took to the streets by the thousands in the nights following the election win by Donald Trump.

Protesters Gather At Philadelphia City Hall Following Donald Trump’s Victory

“Don’t just hold up a sign at a protest. Protest is valuable and important and I will always respect your right to do it, but it alone will not strengthen our city in this time of darkness,” the mayor said.

Kenney asked that the city’s residents channel their feelings in to works that will serve to benefit the communities in the city.

The mayor also made a promise. “I pledge to you that I will stand up against hate crimes, violence and anything else that threatens our city’s inclusive and diverse practices, but I cannot do it alone. So please, join me and help Philadelphia truly become the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...mummers-from-offending-anyone/#comment-344903

Mayor Kenney Hopes Sensitivity Training Will Keep Mummers From Offending Anyone
November 29, 2016 1:22 PM By Mike DeNardo

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Mayor "Banana Nose" Kenney is hoping cultural sensitivity training will result in a Mummers parade that doesn’t offend.

Social media exploded last New Year’s, when one Mummers comic skit mocked Caitlyn Jenner. Another with a Mexican theme had revelers in brownface.

Mummers leaders promised to be more sensitive, and hundreds of Mummers went through training on cultural and LGBT issues.

Mayor Kenney – who was a Mummer for 35 years – says it’s okay if comics satirize him. But he doesn’t want to see marchers miring themselves in old stereotypes.

“Denigrating someone’s sexuality, denigrating someone’s race, denigrating someone’s ethnicity is inappropriate and it’s not part of the parade. :confused: And anyone who thinks that that’s part of the culture doesn’t understand the culture.”

Kenney says the city provides police, paramedics and other support for the parade, and if a small number of Mummers insist on being insensitive – the mayor says “the long-term existence of the parade is in jeopardy.” :mad:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...cumented-Students_Philadelphia-405368716.html

Jim Kenney Among Mayors Asking Trump to Protect Undocumented Students
By Aundrea Cline-Thomas

Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney was one of several mayors across the country who signed a letter asking President-elect Trump to preserve President Obama policies that are designed to protect undocumented students. NBC10's Aundrea Cline-Thomas has the details.

Published at 12:26 AM EST on Dec 8, 2016 | Updated 2 hours ago

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/12/08/jim-kenney-donald-trump/?replytocom=345408#respond

Philly Mayor Ready To Battle Trump Over Promise To Remove Funding From Sanctuary Cities
December 8, 2016 5:18 PM

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — One of President-elect Donald Trump’s campaign promises to remove federal funding from so-called sanctuary cities has Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney gearing up for a fight.

With Philadelphia being a sanctuary city, officials do not cooperate with federal laws requiring undocumented immigrants to be held in custody for non-violent crimes and potentially deported.

Former Treasurer Accused Of Stealing Over $50,000 From South Jersey Youth Football League

Trump has said he will withhold federal funding from cities which don’t comply, which could hinder money going to low-income housing and highway maintenance.

Kenney said he is ready for the fight.

“All the federal government has to do is go over to a federal magistrate, get a warrant and we’ll be happy to turn that person over to them, but to expect us to hold people for 48, 72 hours without charge, to me, is unconstitutional,” the mayor told CBS 3’s Greg Argos.

Experts predict the fight will be a costly one.

“The purse strings are very important here,” attorney Linda Dale Hoffa said.

This could be fought in both state and federal court.

“I don’t know if it’s going to be a losing battle, but I do know that a lot of lawyers are going to be involved,” Dale Hoffa said. “There is going to be a lot of litigation.”

Kenney said the city would have to determine whether to take the Trump White House to court over funding if it was withheld.

“We will have to determine what it is they’re trying to take away and how much it is and how it’ll affect us and we’ll make that determination into whether or now we’ll seek legal protection,” Kenney said. “We’re going to resist it every way we can.”

However, for right now, no one knows what could be cut, but it appears a big battle is ahead.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...rican-affairs-in-philadelphia/#comment-346300

Kenney Revives Commission Focusing On Asian-American Affairs In Philadelphia
December 22, 2016 3:38 PM By Pat Loeb

CITY HALL (CBS) — Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney has revived a commission on Asian-American affairs to advise him on issues of concern to that community.

In fact, crime and immigration were the first two issues to come up when he introduced commission members today. :mad:

In August, Philadelphia police arrested two men suspected of robbing no fewer than 13 Asian businesses, but John Shin, the new co-chairman of the commission- said it was hardly the end of fear and crime targeting the community.

“There’s even rap music about how easy Asian-American homes are as targets of burglaries.”

Shin said that will be an item on the Commission’s agenda and Mayor Kenney tied it to the city’s sanctuary status, where law enforcement is not bound to report undocumented immigrants to federal agents.

“Making Philadelphia an arm of the federal immigration force will make it even worse because people will not come forward,” Kenney said. :mad: :mad: :mad:

The city has been under pressure, even from its own lawmakers, at the state and federal level to reverse the policy, but Kenney has refused. :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Kenney-Police-Advisory-Commission-410647795.html

Mayor Jim Kenney Reinstates Police Advisory Commission
By Alicia Victoria Lozano
Published 6 hours ago | Updated 5 hours ago

The Philadelphia Police Department will soon have an extra layer of oversight after Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney signed an executive order Friday reinstating the Police Advisory Commission (PAC). It will comprise 13 members and focus on policy review, community outreach and investigations.

"Today, we are reaffirming the city’s commitment to strengthening police-community relations through openness, responsibility and accountability," the mayor said in a prepared statement.

"I have faith that the commission will serve as a valuable tool in furthering the good work already being done ... to protect and serve all Philadelphians, regardless of race, sexual orientation, religion, gender, age or zip code."

A major focus of the PAC will be issuing periodic reviews to ensure the police department is properly implementing recommendations set by the White House in 2015 following several high-profile, police-involved shootings, some of which caused national outrage and exacerbated tensions between law enforcement officials and the communities they served.

To help reduce these kinds incidents, the commission will have the power to subpoena and conduct investigations. It will issue an annual public report setting out recommendations from the preceding year and highlighting departmental accomplishments.

The Democratic mayor will appoint the 13 members this spring based on recommendations from city council, law enforcement agencies and the Office of Black Male Engagement, the Office of LGBT Affairs and the Commission on Human Relations, among other local agencies.

"This is an efficient way to keep the needle moving of the right direction with the implementation of community policing," said Councilman Curtis Jones. "I look forward to working with the commission’s members."

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...philadelphia-a-sanctuary-city/#comment-347924

Despite Warnings From GOP, Kenney Proud To Call Philadelphia A Sanctuary City
January 13, 2017 7:03 PM By David Spunt

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — One week from now Donald Trump will be president of the United States. Members of his incoming administration and party have said outright the sanctuary cities better lose the word sanctuary or they’ll lose millions in federal funding.

In a town hall Thursday night, house speaker Paul Ryan made it clear that sanctuary cities like Philadelphia could be in trouble with the Trump White House.

Mayor Kenney Communicates With Students With Cerebral Palsy With Help Of Technology

A sanctuary city is one that protects undocumented immigrants and refuses to prosecute them just because they are undocumented. Philadelphia Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney is proud to call Philadelphia a sanctuary city. :mad:

“I’m not going to turn my back on people who decided that they want to live in Philadelphia,” Kenney said. :mad:

Kenney told Eyewitness News at an unrelated news conference that sanctuary cities actually help stop, not start crime. :rolleyes: He argues that if sanctuary status goes away, undocumented immigrants will hide.

“Those folks will go under ground. We’ll have less reports of crime. We’ll have less witnesses to crime and we’ll be less safe,” he argued.

In Chicago, Mayor Rahm Emanuel created a task force specifically to help undocumented immigrants stay in Chicago. Trump’s team has said that after he becomes president, cities like Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles will review their policies or lose millions in funding.

Officials: Mother Charged In ‘Rape-Murder Fantasy’ Of Teen Fostered 30 Children

“We will comply with whatever we can comply with the law, but we will not turn our backs on our immigrants or our ethnic communities ever.”

Republican Senator Pat Toomey is one of the main voices in congress against sanctuary cities. It was one of his biggest issues during the campaign last year.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...lan-could-impact-philadelphia/#comment-348288

Trump’s Day One Plan Could Impact Philadelphia
January 19, 2017 9:38 PM By Pat Loeb
by Pat Loeb

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — It will be a busy day for Donald Trump, especially if he sticks to the plan for his first day in office that he announced in Gettysburg just before the election.

He promised to take five immediate actions, one of which is intended to have a big impact on Philadelphia.

Item three on Donald Trump’s to-do list for today was: cancel all federal funding to Sanctuary Cities.

“I mean, he can’t. He can’t just take money away. That’s a legislative process,” said Mayor Jim Kenney.

Mayor Jim "Banana Nose" Kenney doesn’t seem too worried, since the president doesn’t actually have the power to simply cancel funding, and since the courts have ruled that Congress, which does have the power to disburse or withhold funds, cannot cut funding across the board. :rolleyes:

“There has to be a nexus shown between the sanctuary city condition and the money they’re claiming to take away,” Kenney said. :rolleyes:

Kenney says Philadelphia will not change its policy of not cooperating with federal officials in detaining illegal immigrants for deportation. :mad: :mad: :mad:

He believes, contrary to Trump’s arguments, the policy has made Philadelphia safer by increasing trust in police. :confused:

There are some 40 major cities with the same policy. :mad:

Back